VAG 1.4i 16v (85ps) will crank but hard to start (Ibiza 6J)

Oct 29, 2019
Hello I have an intermittent issue with my Seat Ibiza 6J VAG 1.4i 16v (85ps). On occasions, normally if the car has been started and switched off quickly (for example moving cars around on my driveway) the engine will crank but shows no sign of fueling or ignition. In order to start the car I have to put my foot flat to the floor and crank for about 15 seconds, the car will splutter into life and will throw loads of smoke out the exhaust. Once its started its fine and no fault codes have ever been present, the car runs and starts fine (99/100 times) other than this. I have a Bluetooth ODB2 reader which also shows no current or historic faults.

I have been doing a bit of research on this issue, and one thing suggested is possibly a common issue with the fuel pump relay, I have taken some pictures however I have no idea (not in my manual or online that i can find) which relay is associated with the fuel pump, does anyone know which one it is?

I have had this problem for ages, however have been living with it. any other ideas as to what it could be, its an old old engine technology so may be a well known issue.

Thanks for your help.

N1Q5G9am.jpg
|https://thumbsnap.com/N1Q5G9am[/IMG]

CImmFxXZ.jpg
|https://thumbsnap.com/CImmFxXZ[/IMG]

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't know how much you know about cars, but, it sounds a lot like you are flooding the engine by only running it for short periods, also, flooring the accelerator when the engine is not running inhibits fueling so lets you dry the flooded engine out enough for it to start using the last of the fuel remaining in the combustion chamber. What you are doing is enabling WOT or wide open throttle switch and that is what is causing the fueling to be inhibited as long as the engine is not running.

I'd expect that the plugs are getting on a bit and increasing the possibility of this happening.

Of course there still remains the possibility that one of the injection relays is faulty, but it does sound a lot like the engine is getting flooded either by the way you are running it for short periods, or an/some injectors are weeping, I'd start with the cheaper options, check all the plugs and try to avoid using it in the way that causes this problem.

Edit:- for some wiring diagrams, either buy a copy of the official workshop manual from places like "easymanual" or for Erwin, I've forgotten if Haynes workshop manual is good enough for this, it might be.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
does it have any correlation with being exposed at the sun?

I assumed by the OP's user name that he/she was UK based, and right now any sun that appears is not warming UK up at all, quite/very cold over here right now, so I'd doubt if it was "your" EVAP sort of problem.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.