Walnut blasting

Jul 8, 2023
HI All

I have a 2019 1.5 150 DSG with 114k now and a few months back i got it mapped - Stock power was down to about 105 to the wheels on the dyno, and they got it to 130 after tuning

Do you think its worth it having it walnut blasted to clean intake valves? Does this actually make any difference to power, or is it just a myth? Any ideas on how much i should be paying to have this done?

Tia

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As far as coking up of the area before the inlet valves on DI petrol engines, especially ones with only DI fuel injectors, there is no myth, it is fact due to engine oil mist from scavenging the crankcase/cam covers areas of the engine landing on these areas and getting baked on there due to the absence of petrol in that air flow - which in the case of indirect/port injected petrol engines, normally washed these surfaces clean.

One thing to consider is how exactly that engine tuner’s description of the before and after tuning, relates to or ties in with that car manufacturer’s way of defining “engine output”. There will always be a loss of power between the engine’s output, ie flywheel, and that measured at the driven wheels.

The worst affect DI petrol engines will be the NA ones, ie engines without charged induction, though there is probably a point in time/use where walnut blasting is beneficial to even a charged DI petrol engined car, possibly this work should have been carried out BEFORE you got that engine remapped at 100+K miles.

Edit:- I have not got any ideas about costs to do this, maybe best to ask a local VW Group Indie if they have the gear to do this and the cost, also ask your local SEAT main dealer’s workshop.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Agreed, not an internet myth. If your inlet ports are full of carbon deposits it restricts the area for air to flow which will restrict your HP.

Should be fairly cheap to take the inlet manifold off and have a look. It would be clearly visible if you have an issue.

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Have a look at this. The author has had his 205k miles 1.4 Tsi MK3 Leon inlet shell blasted I believe several times. First blasting at 100k miles with images and description of the symptoms and improvement :

Reactions: chroniclesofcf

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Have a look at this. The author has had his 205k miles 1.4 Tsi MK3 Leon inlet shell blasted I believe several times. First blasting at 100k miles with images and description of the symptoms and improvement :

Love Richard! The detail he went into on this video is insane! Keeping every fuel receipt ever?! The commitment is unmatched. Found him years ago when I was going for my driving test 😂 But a 1.4TSI SC FR MK3.5 because of him.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.