WANTED - Mint/Cherished Cupra R ST ABT

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Anyone thinking of selling there much loved and cherished example. Not interested if you wash it once a month and think its clean, or get the local roadside crew to blast the grit off (if your lucky).

2 weekends wasted now looking at so called SEAT approved used. Alot of miles driven and fuel wasted.
I think they should re-brand to SEAT used, abused and occasionally washed. But not prepped or touched until you commit to wanting it.

Sorry but I'm not handing over £32-£34k based on the salesman promising it'll look better once valeted.
Heavy chips on front bumper/bonnet, 4-5 chips up the side of a rear door and a heavily scuffed alloy do not warrant a car being 'excellent condition'. The rear footwell had autumn leaves in them.....ermmm iits nearly August. Clearly been there a while.
Had it been at least washed and vacuumed I may of looked past some of it.

Sorry its been a long day, for nothing.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thats what dealerships do. Put bangers out on the forecourt in the hope that the prospective purchaser doesnt pick up all the defects and they don't have to put any money into it.

Like why don't they prep a car BEFORE it goes on the forecourt

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
Sorry but I'm not handing over £32-£34k based on the salesman promising it'll look better once valeted.

When I decided to get the most out of the resale value on my Leon FR Sport at the beginning of the year, I was looking at R ST ABTs and like you, found loads that had not aged well. I suspect quite a few were leases and had the miles racked up in fairly short order. In the end I went for a new Formentor because I couldn't find what I wanted, and I got a really good deal on my Leon. No regrets, aside from the childishly bad software.

I was checking AutoTrader out of curiosity the other day, and saw this one at SSC in Huddersfield that looked quite tidy but yep, you're right, most of the ads I've seen recently barely warrant a second look. Shame, cracking car, and I still quite fancy one.

Reactions: jcbmally

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
When I decided to get the most out of the resale value on my Leon FR Sport at the beginning of the year, I was looking at R ST ABTs and like you, found loads that had not aged well. I suspect quite a few were leases and had the miles racked up in fairly short order. In the end I went for a new Formentor because I couldn't find what I wanted, and I got a really good deal on my Leon. No regrets, aside from the childishly bad software.

I was checking AutoTrader out of curiosity the other day, and saw this one at SSC in Huddersfield that looked quite tidy but yep, you're right, most of the ads I've seen recently barely warrant a second look. Shame, cracking car, and I still quite fancy one.
Seen that one too. Looked okay from what pics there was

Reactions: Fencer60

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Now that is a very good example, AFAIA a good company as well, I believe they don’t deal with tat

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008

I only want Blackness Grey. Seen them in white in the flesh and I my opion the colour loses all the specialness that is the R.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I only want Blackness Grey. Seen them in white in the flesh and I my opion the colour loses all the specialness that is the R.
And that’s the dilemma - and often is when buying a used car; finding one that ticks all the boxes.

Say you were to find two examples; one is in the ‘must have‘ colour but it’s not in mint condition, and the other has been loved and cherished and is in mint condition but isn’t your preferred colour. What do you do? Do you wait in the hope a mint condition Blackness Grey example eventually turns up or do you compromise on colour if all the other boxes are ticked?

Decisions………….🤔. Hope you find the one you’re looking for but if not, white does have some benefits;
  • easy to colour match when touching in stone chips or if you’re unfortunate enough to need paintwork repairs.
  • will ’hide’ that layer of dust dark coloured cars always seem to be covered in, unless they’ve just been washed.
  • doesn’t show swirl marks like a dark coloured car does - I’m a bit of a hobbyist detailer (always use a safe wash technique and never ever let anyone other than me wash my car), and however careful you are, some light swirling will happen over time - and it’ll be more obvious on a dark coloured car. Easily sorted though if you’ve got a machine polisher 🙂.
My current car is white and I’ve no regrets over the colour choice. I’ve owned a number of black and dark grey cars in the past, and they really were a labour of love to keep looking good - especially if you live in a hard water area like I do. They did look good though when just washed, but unfortunately didn’t stay looking that way for long.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
I didn't look in detail and at 30k on a 20 won't be mint, but I spotted this one near me last month and it's dropped 2 or 3k since then (assume price of fuel puts people off something getting 35mpg best) https://www.jct600.co.uk/used-cars/...g-estate-grey-automatic-petrol/id-7749121186/

If you want me to go check anything for before you travel happy to.
Thanks. Mileage put me off.
I looked at a 23,000 mile one in Twickenham (still there and still no photos a month later). And it looked like a typical PCP not bothered ill be handing it back previous owner. Scuffed alloys, dodgey PPF on boot entry but bad scuffs at either end of PPF. Chip/chunk of bumper under headlight. Had not had interior cleaned since autumn judging by the leaves in there.
A bit rough.
Probably why it sold a few days later and appeared back on sale soon after. Probably sold virtually and then the buyer saw it.

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
I looked for a nice 4 Drive Lux for ages. Same thing, unloved and abused, for top money. I gave up and bought an R ST ABT in the end, seemed to be more chance of an enthusiast having had it from new.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise