What is going on with my exhaust?

Apr 2, 2024
I recently bought a Seat leon cupra 290 2016 and i’ve just had a full inspection including the undercarriage and my exhaust looks odd and damaged. It looks almost looks like a previous owner had something fitted and then removed? Can anyone share a photo to compare? Or potentially explain this damage?
DA3EE321-8179-4EC8-A412-292F4BC03617.jpeg
ABAFA445-6ADE-4850-8ADB-97470ADABA17.jpeg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It looks like previous owner has removed the resonator, then added it again before sale.
Are you sure about that, the OP's pictures show a large space that has a heat shield, that only has a pipe passing through it, I'd expect that space, as it is resonator shaped, to to filled with a resonator and not a section of pipe. It looks like a bit of a botched job with slight misalignment causing the joining sleeve area to need exhaust sealing gum to (fail to) seal up that sleeve, which normally seals up very well by itself.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Are you sure about that, the OP's pictures show a large space that has a heat shield, that only has a pipe passing through it, I'd expect that space, as it is resonator shaped, to to filled with a resonator and not a section of pipe. It looks like a bit of a botched job with slight misalignment causing the joining sleeve area to need exhaust sealing gum to (fail to) seal up that sleeve, which normally seals up very well by itself.
I think the space is empty as OP has a 290, not a 280. 290s have 1 resonator whereas 280s have 2, hence the extra space.

Reactions: RUM4MO