Wheel Bolt Caps

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
I’ve got some Bola CSRs on the way. As they need different bolts than standard, I’ve picked up some McGard lock bolts. Annoyingly, the plastic caps for the OE lockers have a 24mm internal diameter, whereas the McGard need 20mm. The regular bolts are the same 17mm hex, so fine there.

Best thing I can think to do is get some aquarium tubing to make up the difference (saw it on a VE forum). Any other ideas? I can’t seem to get plastic caps in 20mm.

Thanks!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Surely there will be Europe based distributers/agents, they should be able to get them for a sensible price to support the local buyers of their Mcgard bolt sets that they already sell in Europe.

One thing though, I've found that it is always good to measure the bolt counterbore hole sizes before trying to buy or use existing bolt covers, doing that for a set of wheels that my older daughter bought for her 2019 Leon Cupra quickly made me aware that this approach was a "no go", so blackened bolt set was bought from another company/brand Brimecc via an alloy wheel supplier online, and so when these wheels are on the car, winter only wheels, they don't have a wheel bolt covers fitted.

Just be careful about the aftermarket wheel bolt lengths as they tend to be lazy and try to offer only a few lengths which could mean a longer than necessary length of threaded bolt sticking out on the inside of the hub, which might cause a problem with fouling something, if not would probably mean that the rear end of the bolts gets rusted up and so cause slight problems when removing them - unless, like me, you remove them after 6 months to change the wheels over and service the brakes!

Reactions: hawkx617

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
Surely there will be Europe based distributers/agents, they should be able to get them for a sensible price to support the local buyers of their Mcgard bolt sets that they already sell in Europe.

One thing though, I've found that it is always good to measure the bolt counterbore hole sizes before trying to buy or use existing bolt covers, doing that for a set of wheels that my older daughter bought for her 2019 Leon Cupra quickly made me aware that this approach was a "no go", so blackened bolt set was bought from another company/brand Brimecc via an alloy wheel supplier online, and so when these wheels are on the car, winter only wheels, they don't have a wheel bolt covers fitted.

Just be careful about the aftermarket wheel bolt lengths as they tend to be lazy and try to offer only a few lengths which could mean a longer than necessary length of threaded bolt sticking out on the inside of the hub, which might cause a problem with fouling something, if not would probably mean that the rear end of the bolts gets rusted up and so cause slight problems when removing them - unless, like me, you remove them after 6 months to change the wheels over and service the brakes!
I decided to go ahead and get some black wheel bolts! The only solution I found was to get some silicone tubing over the lock bolts, which seems like a bit of a bodge.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members