1.9tdi cooling issue

Apr 29, 2024
Hi all, picked up an old Toledo a few months back but it’s just developed a strange coolant issue. Basically a few weeks back the coolant light was flashing and the reservoir was empty, parked it up went to work, came back and the reservoir was 3/4 full again. Since this happened, I’ve had serious cooling issues, as soon as I’m climbing a hill under load the car is overheating to the stage where I have to pull over to let it cool down.

I’m pretty sure it’s not the head gasket as I have no contamination in the oil/coolant reservoir and there’s no smoke/moisture in the exhaust. It’s not leaking as there’s no puddles under the car or anything so I have no idea what’s going on.

I’m planning a full coolant flush on the weekend and I’ll check for splits etc… I’ll see if I can find any air locks as well as that could be causing it I’ve heard. Any other suggestions on where to look/what to replace would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Apr 29, 2024
Hi all, we changed the thermostat and drained the system, we then refilled it with a mix of water and system cleaner (can’t be used with coolant) and ran the engine, bled some air out of the top rad hose and then removed it to find no water in there at all yet the rad was full, we’re thinking water pump but wanted to check to see if there is anyway we could check this or other things we can try before changing it as it requires cam belt. Please can anyone shed some light it would be greatly appreciated

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
It does sound like the water pump is failing. Do you know when the timing belt and water pump were last done?

Apr 29, 2024
It does sound like the water pump is failing. Do you know when the timing belt and water pump were last done?
Thanks for you reply! We’ve managed to have a good look over the weekend and luckily it was a blocked return pipe which was causing an air blockage, cleared that and it’s now cooling absolutely fine! On another note, the previous owner did an EGR delete and I’m trying to return it back to stock, I have a replacement EGR but the pipe connecting it from the bottom of the EGR to the turbo is missing, I don’t suppose anyone has a part number for this or a photo of what it looks like? Thanks.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Depends on the engine code. You can cross reference engine code to the parts list on somewhere like lllparts to get the part number, then search that on eBay.

Yeah, bit of a faff but there's so many variations it's not even funny

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.