A few potentially silly questions from a Newbie Leon TFSI Sport Owner

Eccles

I'm the proud owner of a March '07 Leon Sport TFSI finished in metallic grey (Lava grey?) and fitted with electric sunroof, rain (etc.) sensor, reversing sensors and bluetooth. It was bought a month ago from a main dealer having been originally owned by Seat UK and has just over 4,000 miles on the clock.

Having previously had a Mazda 6 diesel (a fine car it has to be said), I am relishing the extra toys to play with (very similar to an Audi A4 I once had - no prizes for guessing why) and I'm loving the power - and the very reasonable insurance too, although the fuel consumption is a slight shock compared to an oil burner!

As a new owner though, I have a few potentially silly questions - please be gentle with me!

1. The rear wheels look quite markedly 'splayed' out at the bottom to me (negative camber?) - possibly a couple of degrees or so - I haven't spotted this on a colleague's non-Sport model (but haven't been able to look closely). I'm hoping this is normal, can someone assure me please? Or has the previous owner been driving over speed cushions too quickly and I ought to get it back to the supplying dealer pronto? I'm assuming if it is right, it's done for handling.

2. I only drive about five miles to work (and the same back) each day. The brake discs look huge to me and I don't tend to brake particularly heavily; am I going to get problems with rusting discs etc. The front pads look 'angled' to me, by that I mean at rest they don't sit flat on the disc (to my eyes) - what's all that about. The brakes also seem quite noisy - is that usual? I do make a long journey at least once a month (100+ miles), by the way.

3. The paint on the underside of the bonnet has flaked off to reveal beige primer in a couple of areas about an inch square and also where the sound proofing rubs - is this usual? Is it anything to worry about?

4. According to the computer, I'm averaging around 28 mpg on my short trips (although the weather's still warmish) and about 34 on a run at 70-80 mph - are the figures reasonable? I'm quite satisfied with them for a car with 185 bhp.

Many thanks in anticipation for any comments of any kind received.

Eccles

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!!
I would get 1) and 3) checked out. It could be nothing with the wheels as I am not sure myself but best to get it checked out anyways and also the paintwork definitely has to be checked. A newish car shouldn't really have paintwork flaking off.
As for 4) it really depends on what kind of journeys and how bad traffic is on your drive to work but from your quoted figures they sound ok.
As for the brakes, a good run every while should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Alex

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I'm the proud owner of a March '07 Leon Sport TFSI finished in metallic grey (Lava grey?) and fitted with electric sunroof, rain (etc.) sensor, reversing sensors and bluetooth. It was bought a month ago from a main dealer having been originally owned by Seat UK and has just over 4,000 miles on the clock.

Having previously had a Mazda 6 diesel (a fine car it has to be said), I am relishing the extra toys to play with (very similar to an Audi A4 I once had - no prizes for guessing why) and I'm loving the power - and the very reasonable insurance too, although the fuel consumption is a slight shock compared to an oil burner!

As a new owner though, I have a few potentially silly questions - please be gentle with me!

1. The rear wheels look quite markedly 'splayed' out at the bottom to me (negative camber?) - possibly a couple of degrees or so - I haven't spotted this on a colleague's non-Sport model (but haven't been able to look closely). I'm hoping this is normal, can someone assure me please? Or has the previous owner been driving over speed cushions too quickly and I ought to get it back to the supplying dealer pronto? I'm assuming if it is right, it's done for handling.

2. I only drive about five miles to work (and the same back) each day. The brake discs look huge to me and I don't tend to brake particularly heavily; am I going to get problems with rusting discs etc. The front pads look 'angled' to me, by that I mean at rest they don't sit flat on the disc (to my eyes) - what's all that about. The brakes also seem quite noisy - is that usual? I do make a long journey at least once a month (100+ miles), by the way.

3. The paint on the underside of the bonnet has flaked off to reveal beige primer in a couple of areas about an inch square and also where the sound proofing rubs - is this usual? Is it anything to worry about?

4. According to the computer, I'm averaging around 28 mpg on my short trips (although the weather's still warmish) and about 34 on a run at 70-80 mph - are the figures reasonable? I'm quite satisfied with them for a car with 185 bhp.

Many thanks in anticipation for any comments of any kind received.

Eccles

1. Thats normal :)

2. Thats normal :)

4. Thats very good! :D

Eccles

Hi - thanks for the quick reply.

Referring to the rear axle 'problem', I take it that such negative camber (is that the right way round?) is exactly as the car left the factory?

The paint on the outside of the car is fine (better than my old Mazda in fact), part from the fuel flap which is slightly more orange peely than the rest of the car.

It's that rear suspension that worries me though 'cos I haven't been able to compare mine with another Leon of a similar spec!

I worry a lot.

Eccles

Eccles

Just seen DanGB's reply - thanks to all so far. You've all set my mind at rest but I will get that paint looked at very soon.

I almost forgot, the passenger seat switch for the seat belt warning sticks after my wife has sat in it for a while (and no, she's not built like Nellie) - I've found that my cheeks bounced up and down (gently) in it a few times seems to temporarily fix it. Is this a common problem? I'll get it looked at soon (or get rid of the wife - only joking!)

E.