Deactivate DSG inertia mode

May 12, 2024
Good morning. I am an Italian user with a Cupra 2.0 tdi 150cv Dsg. I wanted to ask a question regarding the "inertia mode", the one that, with automatic transmission, when you release the accelerator, puts the gearbox in neutral without traction. The problem is that it is activated even at low speed (20 - 40 km/h), it is dangerous because the car picks up speed and without engine braking.
There is no way to deactivate it, not even by putting it in Sport mode.
I wanted to know if there is any way or coding to disable it or at least set the drive speed.
Thank you

pivko11

Jun 9, 2022
Good morning. I am an Italian user with a Cupra 2.0 tdi 150cv Dsg. I wanted to ask a question regarding the "inertia mode", the one that, with automatic transmission, when you release the accelerator, puts the gearbox in neutral without traction. The problem is that it is activated even at low speed (20 - 40 km/h), it is dangerous because the car picks up speed and without engine braking.
There is no way to deactivate it, not even by putting it in Sport mode.
I wanted to know if there is any way or coding to disable it or at least set the drive speed.
Thank you
Sometimes it bothers me also, especially when you want to pick up the speed after turning in a junction.
In my experience, gearbox in sport mode should prevent coasting.

P

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Coasting (or inertia mode) should be deactivated in S mode with the DQ381. I would form a habit of switching to S mode whenever you need it - simple enough to pull once on the shifter for S, and pull again back to D.

Disabling the function in D would require TCU programming - although I would consider leaving this eco function alone*

It can also coast in any engine mode; Eco, Comfort, Sport, Cupra - where this can be confusing. Going into Sport or Cupra engine modes then pulling the shifter back to D, activates coasting again.

The low rolling speed pickup issue (when pulling out of a junction - for want of a better description!) Is the most horrid problem with the default programming of the DQ381, even across multiple manufacturers using it!

It's not specifically a coasting issue - as applying the brakes once takes the gearbox out of coasting mode. However the pickup delay is very similar in both scenarios, due to the intentionally smooth clutch engagement in D.

While coasting, this smoothing delay is felt when applying throttle out of coasting. But it also applies smoothing while rolling in 1st gear - resulting in the nasty pickup delay out of junctions.

*Ideally, a tuner could increase clutch engagement speed in 1st gear (copy paste the settings from S mode into D) as it is simply a programming choice by manufacturer to make the DQ381 feel more like a torque convertor for the general public.

Theoretically; there is also one more solution, without any tuning and while being in D... Left-foot braking! :D (Never do this lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: pivko11
May 12, 2024
Coasting (or inertia mode) should be deactivated in S mode with the DQ381. I would form a habit of switching to S mode when ever you need it, it's simple enough to pull once on the shifter for S, and pull again back to D.

Disabling the function in D would require TCU programming - although I would consider leaving this eco function alone*

It can also coast in any engine mode; Eco, Comfort, Sport, Cupra - where this can be confusing. Going into Sport or Cupra engine modes then pulling the shifter back to D, activates coasting again.

The low rolling speed pickup issue (when pulling out of a junction - for want of a better description!) Is the most severe problem with the default programming of the DQ381 across multiple manufacturers using it!

It's not specifically a coasting issue - as applying the brakes once, takes the gearbox out of coasting. But the pickup delay is very similar in both scenarios, due to the intentionally smoothed clutch engagement in D.

While coasting, this delay is felt when applying throttle out of coasting. It also applies smoothing while rolling in 1st gear - resulting in the nasty pickup delay out of junctions.

*Ideally, a tuner could increase clutch engagement speed in 1st gear (copy paste the settings from S mode into D) as it is simply a programming choice by manufactures to make the DQ381 feel more like a torque convertor for the general public.
Another common solution is to disable 1st gear while rolling - only 1st gear is used from standing stops, but I would expect more turbo lag pulling from 5mph in 2nd gear, at least the response of acceleration is immediate, which would be preferable at of junctions imo.

Theoretically; there is also one more solution to the issue without any tuning and while being in D... Left-foot braking :D (Never do this).
Thank you so much for your very comprehensive answer. I found a procedure online for deactivating inertia mode.

https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/9155/disable-sailing-function-normal-profile

Unfortunately I don't currently have any tools to do the coding 😕

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.