Engine Oil in Air Intake.

Nelspeed

Feb 28, 2024
I would book it in with the dealer to see what they say. In my case I don't think the oil contaminating the air filter is normal.

20240513_123744.jpg

KJA

Feb 18, 2024
South East England
Well I looked inside couldn't resist.
Air filter was dry no traces of oil.
Air intake pipe had few drops / trace of oil but nothing alarming.

I'll keep an eye.

Question how you have been driving like hard in cupra mode etc.

Just trying to understand I have been driving like miss daisy till now.

Just a few times to check the response which lasted few seconds.

Maybe if I start to drive as it is meant to be I might see more oil or maybe not ?

Thanks.

zenonek79

May 7, 2024
Ok. O got an update, not from cupra thought.
Since i have cleaned intake pipe, no oil in there since, so had to cancel my visit at the service, as nothing to show them except pics. It will be waste of time.
But i have discovered silly thing really,
I know im checking oil regulary, and normally on the indicator it shows 100%, but this time i have followed instruction manuall... after driving on m25 for a while, i have stopped on petrol station, 100%LEVELED SURFACE and checked my oil after 5 min.
To my surprise on the dipstick it shows around 140% level, which means 40% more than it should.

Im thinking if it could be the case, if that mistake made by cupra service on my last ool change caused that.

I ha e Pumped out half a litter of oil through dipstick hole and car seems to drive a bit better i thing, placebo maybe..

But i will be looking at it..

Nelspeed:
May be that they did same mistake with you, and corrected the issue, and let you go without informing you?
Have you tried cleaning the intake pipe and housing with degreaser, repla ing filter? I would do that, document it all and observe..

Attachments

• 20240523_191310.jpg
    20240523_191310.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: KJA

KJA

Feb 18, 2024
South East England
Thanks for the information, yes I did read it in manual where its says how to check oil level.
Now my question as you have done this what is the oil level on dip stick when it's been sitting overnight?
It might give some reference.

Thanks.

KJ

zenonek79

May 7, 2024
Its around 2/3.
Also noticed that it is very sensinive on how level car stands, just a tiny hill, and already 100%.

Nelspeed

Feb 28, 2024
Since i have cleaned intake pipe, no oil in there since, so had to cancel my visit at the service, as nothing to show them except pics. It will be waste of time.
I know im checking oil regulary, and normally on the indicator it shows 100%, but this time i have followed instruction manuall... after driving on m25 for a while, i have stopped on petrol station, 100%LEVELED SURFACE and checked my oil after 5 min.
To my surprise on the dipstick it shows around 140% level, which means 40% more than it should.

Im thinking if it could be the case, if that mistake made by cupra service on my last ool change caused that.

I ha e Pumped out half a litter of oil through dipstick hole and car seems to drive a bit better i thing, placebo maybe..

Nelspeed:
May be that they did same mistake with you, and corrected the issue, and let you go without informing you?
Have you tried cleaning the intake pipe and housing with degreaser, repla ing filter? I would do that, document it all and observe..
Thanks for the heads up. I will check this with mine. The only comment i would make regarding the dealer refilling with oil is i would assume the dealer measures the new oil by quantity as stated in the vehicle specification rather than using the dipstick as reference. It would be plausible though that if a trainee technician did the oil service they could have possibly overfilled it.

zenonek79

May 7, 2024
Thanks for the heads up. I will check this with mine. The only comment i would make regarding the dealer refilling with oil is i would assume the dealer measures the new oil by quantity as stated in the vehicle specification rather than using the dipstick as reference. It would be plausible though that if a trainee technician did the oil service they could have possibly overfilled it.
Its what i thought.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I wouldn’t assume anything with dealerships.

When my VW was serviced last year, I had the opposite - i.e. almost underfilling with new oil; the oil barely reached the bottom mark on the dipstick, suggesting that maybe an incompetent trainee technician worked on my car. Alternatively, the cynic in me might suspect the dealer was trying to save cost and boost their profits by only using the minimum amount of oil they could get away with in all customer’s cars; surely they wouldn’t do that would they? I think they might…………. 😡🤔.

Reactions: mty12345

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
My screen washer ran out of liquid less than 50 miles after a service one journey Tried to use it twice, either because they didn't fill it OR because the mesh in the filler neck waterboards itself and prevents filling, so it looks like it's full.

You have to remove the mesh to fill it 🤯

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My screen washer ran out of liquid less than 50 miles after a service one journey Tried to use it twice, either because they didn't fill it OR because the mesh in the filler neck waterboards itself and prevents filling, so it looks like it's full.

You have to remove the mesh to fill it 🤯

And the dealer would know the mesh needs to be removed to refill, so I’d say they didn’t bother refilling it 😠.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
How much oil are we taking about here?

Engine oil does expand but it's not exactly lemon juice. I wouldn't expect cold start oil level to be 2/3rd and expand to full level at drive time on a regular road going car.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022

Nelspeed:
Τhats what exactly happened to me on the lat oil change at 45 k km! A day after and while preparing to travel I checked the dipstick and to my suprise it was all the way up over the full point and about half way to the point where the stick starts to swerve. I didnt drive the car and Monday morning I went to the Cupra service where I did the oil change and yes they also confirmed overfilling of abt 300 ml. They did take it out but not even apologised or anything to that matter. They actually even took out more than that and had to refill!
Checked after reading the post and apparently I also found some oil moisture blended with dust at the same place where others found it. Didnt open the filter box, just wiped the area and checked again after a few days but nothing new showed up. I think tha muste have happend probably when they overfilled the first time. At some point I will check the filter but so far the oil level on the dipstick is the same since the last visit when they had to take out the excess oil they put. Yesterday and today I drove quite aggresively on a weekend trip and will check tomorrow to see if the oil is still at the same level.

Reactions: KJA

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Checked today, its near the max so no oil loss. Didnt see any oil moisture around the airbox either. Im at almost 50 k km.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.