Formentor 1.5 TSI fuel economy

Zix96

Apr 25, 2024
Hello people, I have 1.5 TSI new Formentor with around 1300km on it. Been driving it in various conditions, but mostly in city traffic with comfort driving mode. My average economy is 10.6l/100km which seems a few liters more that I expected and read on the internet from various sources. I'm pressing the gas the way it should be pressed for this car and engine, not like a mad-man, but certainly not too easy. Since it's a new car, I haven't yet strained it too much just a few occasional quick accelerations to about 5-6000 RPMs. 80% of the time RPMs don't exceed 3000 while the 15% of the time they go to 4000 RPMs. When I'm driving just in the city I easily get 11l, while yesterday when the road was more open but twisty, with average speed being around 50km/h it was about 8.5l. On the highway at 140km/h it's 8.5-9l. Would you say this economy is normal? I read that after some time, new engine should have better economy, but I'm almost at the break-in period stated in manual which is at 1500km. I just don't know how people average around 8l or even less. The only way I could think is by commuting every day by using highway at around 100km/h or some open road and not driving around city at all or very little. Thanks!

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
With TSI-engines, I guarantee you'll need to accelerate and drive like a grandpa to achieve the NEDC-figures for economy. Be very pro-active when it comes to traffic lights, roundabouts etc. and use cruise control as often as possible on open roads. I'm sure you'll be able to get it below 8,5 even in the city. Granted, my 1.4 TSI Leon weighs less than a Formentor, but I've been able to get mine below NEDC figures (4,4l/100km) by granny driving.

Reactions: Zix96

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
We shouldn't forget that the 1.5TSI engine produces 150PS/250Nm which isn't a great deal - the Formentor weighs 1463Kg dry - full tank and a driver it will be over 1.5 tonnes. You'll have to press the accelerator pedal quite hard to get far enough up the torque curve just to get the vehicle rolling. Prior to my current Cupra Ateca 300PS I was running an Audi A1 with the 150PS 1.5, the same engine you have and it wasn't particularly economic to run even as a small car.

Zix96

Apr 25, 2024
With TSI-engines, I guarantee you'll need to accelerate and drive like a grandpa to achieve the NEDC-figures for economy. Be very pro-active when it comes to traffic lights, roundabouts etc. and use cruise control as often as possible on open roads. I'm sure you'll be able to get it below 8,5 even in the city. Granted, my 1.4 TSI Leon weighs less than a Formentor, but I've been able to get mine below NEDC figures (4,4l/100km) by granny driving.
Thanks for the reply. I know you can't really achieve factory stated fuel economy, but I think it is a sin driving it like a grandpa for a few liters less. Honestly, I can't even imagine getting it down to 8.5 in the city since I'm still driving it very normally as I said. I think the optimal gear shift for a petrol engine is around 3000 RPMs which is where the 90% of the time gear shifting occurs with my current drive. I have even driven it in eco mode for a 100km just to test it out and was getting the same economy, with the eco mode being very very veeeeery less responsive than comfort. I won't try to get some lower economy by driving like a slug since WHERE IS THE FUN IN THAT?! :D I was just being curious.

Zix96

Apr 25, 2024
We shouldn't forget that the 1.5TSI engine produces 150PS/250Nm which isn't a great deal - the Formentor weighs 1463Kg dry - full tank and a driver it will be over 1.5 tonnes. You'll have to press the accelerator pedal quite hard to get far enough up the torque curve just to get the vehicle rolling. Prior to my current Cupra Ateca 300PS I was running an Audi A1 with the 150PS 1.5, the same engine you have and it wasn't particularly economic to run even as a small car.
Hi, thanks for the reply! That is also very true, and I'm quite surprised it wasn't that much economic in a small a1, but then again it is a turbo-petrol engine. It would made more sense to buy the 2.0 TSI with 190 HP since I would bet the fuel economy is more or less the same, but unfortunately I didn't have the money right now to go with this engine. Maybe even this new 1.5 mild hybrid could be very interesting. I wouldn't even start this thread, but I have seen many youtube reviewers, and online portals claiming they have much better economy, which is why I was surprised. Honestly, I'm just waiting to achieve 1500km break-in period so I can start pushing it and have a little fun :D. You don't buy a new car if you care that much about couple of liters of fuel.
P.S. what is the economy on your 300PS Ateca, just curious?

Last edited:
Reactions: CosmicBlue

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Thanks for the reply. I know you can't really achieve factory stated fuel economy, but I think it is a sin driving it like a grandpa for a few liters less. Honestly, I can't even imagine getting it down to 8.5 in the city since I'm still driving it very normally as I said. I think the optimal gear shift for a petrol engine is around 3000 RPMs which is where the 90% of the time gear shifting occurs with my current drive. I have even driven it in eco mode for a 100km just to test it out and was getting the same economy, with the eco mode being very very veeeeery less responsive than comfort. I won't try to get some lower economy by driving like a slug since WHERE IS THE FUN IN THAT?! :D I was just being curious.
True my man, no fun in that at all 😅. I once had a 14l/100km commute haha

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
Thanks. You will probably find that economy will improve a little over time.

The Cupra Ateca in VZ2 300PS/400Nm for weighs 1626Kg dry - it has four wheel drive so has all the extra transmission components.

Fuel economy varies wildly depending how one drives it - I'm nudging 67 years old now so don't drive hard these days, let the torque to the work, my average is 11.32 Km/L though I have have achieved 13.27 Km/L. Both numbers are actual, calculated from brimmed tank to brimmed tank and a reset trip. I find the car's trip computer is about 10% optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zix96 and dorsetlad

Zix96

Apr 25, 2024
Thanks. You will probably find that economy will improve a little over time.

The Cupra Ateca in VZ2 300PS/400Nm for weighs 1626Kg dry - its is four wheel drive so has all the extra transmission components.

Fuel economy varies wildly depending how one drives it - I'm nudging 67 years old now so don't drive hard these days, let the torque to the work, my average is 11.32 Km/L though I have have achieved 13.27 Km/L. Both numbers are actual, calculated from brimmed tank to brimmed tank and a reset trip. I find the car's trip computer is about 10% optimistic.
2-3l difference for the double PS is a bargain. Will be getting a stronger engine in a few years definitely.

Reactions: CosmicBlue
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.