Key cutting (possibly a silly question)

Armitage SHanks

Bought an Altea XL a couple of weeks ago for the missus but didn't want to carry the old-style manual key myself for when I use the car so I ordered one of these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEWER-TYPE-SE...ihZ008QQcategoryZ9889QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Within 30 seconds I had successfully programmed it to operate the remote central locking but now that I need to get it cut but my brother has now sowed some seeds of doubt in my head.

In short, he thinks that the key may also need to be 'programmed' to link it with the immobiliser (as a separate exercise to the programming I've already done to link it with the remote central locking).

Is it the case that getting the key cut to the right shape will do the trick for me or will I stick it in the barrel, turn the key and just get a resounding click because the car's immobiliser doesn't recognise the key?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
In short, he thinks that the key may need to be 'programmed' to link it with the immobiliser (as a separate exercise to linking it with the remote locking).

Is it the case that getting the key cut to the right shape will do the trick or will I stick it in the barrel, turn the key and just get a resounding click because the car's immobiliser doesn't recognise the key?

TIA

He's correct, but an easy way round this is to remove the immobiliser chip from your spare key and put it in other key you've got. Check the sticky in the MK4 Ibiza section for more info.

Armitage SHanks

Thanks for the reply, Mr C. I'd prefer, if at all possible, to leave the non-flip spare intact and get the transponder in my new flip programmed to work with my car.

Is it possible to do this and, if so, can I get it done somewhere cheaper than my local $tealer?

(Incidentally, I do have the plastic tag with the code on it that came with the car if it is required for programming.)

In anticipation of what I think the answer may be, does anyone know of someone with a VAG-COM in the Bristol vicinity who may be able to help me for a sensible price?

Thanks again...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise