What a silly thing to do AND Oil Help

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
Hi guys.
Right to start with im a little worried as me being the idiot i am was in such a rush to top my coolant up after i had had my waterpump changed i drove home and popped the bonnet.
As you would expect when i opened the coolant cap coolant splashed everywhere burning my hand but more worryingly has all been dripping down in my engine where it went everywhere.
Could this have done any long term damage to any electrical bits or is there anything i should check??
Also i noticed today a little springy sort of button thing? near my coolant cap.
Does anyone know what this is?? i had never notcied it before and am now intrigued as to what it could be.

On a completely different note i need to top my oil up significantly.
What grade of oil do i need (ie 10w 40 fully or semi) and do you guys buy a leading brand name like castrol or go to volkswagen dealers.
Thanks alot in advance guys
Chris

M4TTYF

V.A.G. for life
May 28, 2008
hadfield glossop
your coolant shouldnt do any damage as with the engine being hot it will have dried up fairly quickly so dont worry unless things stop working as for oil id go for a semi 10w 40 thats what i use

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
i get different answers everywhere lol
got firstly recommended a 5w-40 for all year round use fully synthetic.
Im lost lol
Any idea on the springy button type thing mentioned
Chris

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
right then i have topped coolant up with tesco ready mixed summer coolant and winter antifreeze i hope this is ok.
I know its something little but ive always wondered should i screwthe cap on tight or just so it nips it or what?
Didn't seem as if there was any damage done from original coolant splash.
Oil im thinking of getting is REDLINE HIGH PERFORMANCE 5w 40 FULLY SYN or Sikolene pro-s both about 50quid delivered for 5l.

Still awaiting if anyone know what this springy button is in the top right hand side (when looking strauight on) just next to where you top coolant up of the engine bay
Chris

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
lol.
Any chance of letting me in on what oil you use.
is it worth splashing out for what i mentioned.
I'm on the minimum line

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Hmm oil change is just a little bit harder than topping up the oil. Very easy and there are most probably a million guides to can oil change on the net. You just need a 17mm spanner and a tub to catch the oil in. It's a little bit easier if you jack up one side of the car and support it too.

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
o right its that easy then.
how long does it take??
Also what brands of oils do you guys get.
Im really stuck on what oil to order

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
reserved and am picking up tomorrow
tahnks guys

Also how tight should i screw this coolant cap on if ive filled it to max mark

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Yeah that will do the job fine, although halfords do do their own brand of fully synth which you might consider if you want to save a bit. http://www.aj-hosting.net/james/Oil Filter & Oil Change.pdf
Will show you how to change your oil although you dont have to do your filter. If not a mechanic wouldnt charge alot, unless you have a good service history in which case just buy the oil to top up for now and get the car serviced when the next interval is up.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Sould be fairly obvious when the coolant cap is 'done up'. It doesn't need to be that tight. Re oil, the Castrol should be fine. I've used Fuchs Titan Supersynth from GSF for the last couple of years, had no problems.

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
He lists that its best to use a 0w-30
Ive just noticed the castrol edge in 0w30 says about it improving performance and fuel economy etc
Im gathering its not that important reason im trying to get everything perfect is i bought it cheap and trying to use best of everything to get it running good and proper.
Thanks guys

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
o right so the 10w 40 should be fine then. stick with the castrol magnatec
and just top it up so its on the maximum mark when cold right?

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.