312mm Brake Conversion

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Today I finally got round to fitting the 312mm brake conversion that I bought off Ian (aceman) ages ago...

The other weekend I cleaned up the calipers and discs with my drill and wirebrush attachment, then finally bought some fluid today so no longer had an excuse !

Easy job, took about 2 hours all in, including brake bleeding.

They're quite a snug fit under the 16" sport wheels, probably about 5mm clearance between caliper and wheel...

But the improvement is very noticeable, the brakes are far more reassuring now ! So definitely a worthwhile mod.
It helped that the discs/pads had already been fitted to Ian's old Ibiza for a short while, and were therefore already bedded in.

The only downside is that I think I might have overtightened one of the carrier-to-hub bolts, it had tightened up nicely then *just* started to 'go' as I gave it one last push...not sure what to do here, it's still tight but I think the thread had probably started to go. Maybe I'll just buy a new bolt, gunk it in tonnes of threadlock and see how we go :) Hopefully it's the bolt that's going, not the hub thread.

Cheers Ian :cheers:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I thought Tom said they dont clear the Sport wheels. Have you got new pads?

But yes it is an easy conversion isnt it, done loads of them now. There is a step by step guide on Briskoda.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I'd seen To mention that, but before Ian removed them from his Ibiza he took his 17" wheels off and checked whether they fitted the 16"s...
Like I said, quite a snug fit though...!

CupraOl

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
They most def caught when I fitted a new set to my Tdi with sport 16"s - the outside edge of the caliper catching the inside of the alloy spokes as it were, needed 5mm spacers to clear the wheel properly - I showed the car to Tom, and it was catching - luckily he had the spacers in his 'spares' pile :p

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I didn't think to try them with my 16's, they were put on after I got the 17" wheels, so I just presumed they wouldn't fit like Tom said.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
techie said:
As I asked Muddyboots have they got new pads in them?
Sorry forgot to answer your question... no the pads aren't new, but as good as. Very little wear on pads or discs.

With regards to some peeps thinking they don't fit under 16s...maybe there are different variants of caliper about ?
They don't look anywhere near the spokes on my wheels, the closest they come to the wheel is at the rim.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Here's a couple of pics close-up, showing the clearance.
Loads of space between caliper and wheel spokes ???

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
The only thing that could happen is that the caliper a little bit loose causing it not to press properly against the disc thus causing shuddering. I overtighend one caliper on mine and needed a new carrier of 70 pounds

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
llameckuf's 312mm conversion had new discs and pads, so that's probably why the caliper touched the wheel. I imagine that when the disc and pad have worn a bit, spacers aren't necessary.

I'm currently trying to source another 312mm conversion kit, and I'll be running spacers on mine just to be sure.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Finally got it done then :thumbup:

Shame about the bolt but I would get a replacement pair just to set your mind at rest.

Regarding the clearance of the calipers, when I originally fitted them to my Ibiza sport I had 17" wheels but I clearly remember trial fitting the original 16" wheels and saying to myself Oh yess they fit ok so if I need to swap back there won't be a problem. Then several months later I read a post by Tom saying the original 16" wheels don't fit over 312's so I began doubting myself. When it came to prepping my car for selling I thought I might as well try the 16's back on to see if they fit and low and behold they fit easily so I wasn't going out of my mind.

All I can say is llameckuf your caliper/wheel combination somehow must be different to the rest of us as they do fit as proved.

Oh and Tom when I fitted them to my car they had NEW pads and discs as well so that dispells that theory.

Hope you enjoy the new found performance in the Ibiza Lee, all the best mate.

Last edited:

CupraOl

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
Im glad that it fits your car fine. Tom is correct I did have brand new discs and pads
aceman said:
All I can say is llameckuf your caliper/wheel combination somehow must be different to the rest of us as they do fit as proved.
The calipers etc were slightly used items from a Leon Cupra - wouldn’t have thought there would be much variation and my wheels are standard TDi sport 16's - They did definitely catch on mine, "as proved" :rolleyes: by the scrape marks on the inside spokes of my front alloys and the scrape marks on my calipers - there would hardly be any mileage in making it up would there!

Anyway, glad it has all gone on fine. :thumbup:

Last edited:

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Wasn't trying to say you made it up but somehow there must be a slight difference in the setup or something. Mine were and now Muddy's are S3 calipers but I am sure they are supposed to be the same as the Leon calipers :confused: There was certainly plenty of clearance even if you take into acount variations in pad/disc thicknesses so I don't know where the difference is maybe possibly carriers do you think.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yep I think there must be some different calipers around; went out to have another look, and there's loads of room between calipers and spokes on mine, enough for me to stick my little finger down there anyway ! There's very little wear on the discs/pads so I can't see them ever touching the wheel when new discs/pads fitted.

Had my first proper journey today, wow they are tonnes better than the original brakes!
The front of the car really dips low under heavy braking now, they bite very well, feels far more reassuring than before... Get a bit of squirming around when braking hard, guess that's a sign of worn suspension/bushes, that'll be the next change. Damn this website !

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.