Are my tyres going to delaminate?

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Evening all,

I have the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 tyres on my 2023 VZ2 Leon (235/35/19).

The car has covered 5k miles and is 9 months old.

I noticed today when checking my tyre pressures that the rear tyres are cracking just below the main tread.

I've seen on here I believe that some tyres (maybe Bridgestone but not certain) have been known for delaminating on these cars and wondered if anybody has had or knows of any issues with the Hankooks?

I believe I've seen recently that there was even a recall on the Bridgestone tyres but for whatever reason when I search on here nothing is coming up.

Any information is much appreciated as always!

Attachments

• 20240330_165809.jpg
    20240330_165809.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20240330_165811.jpg
    20240330_165811.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 95

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
It doesn’t look good. I would get to a tyre centre and go from there, they may know something but I’d be getting in touch with your dealer as well. They’ll use excuses about the power steering causing this and load etc etc.

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
It doesn’t look good. I would get to a tyre centre and go from there, they may know something but I’d be getting in touch with your dealer as well. They’ll use excuses about the power steering causing this and load etc etc.
Thanks for the reply. I'll certainly be trying my hardest to get these replaced under warranty. The car is never fully loaded, it's mainly used by my wife to pootle round town in during the week. I know it won't be easy trying to get these replaced but rear tyres should last more than 9 months/5k miles! Wish me luck!
Looking forward to seeing what experiences people have had in the past with similar issues......

Reactions: jcbmally

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I had an issue with Dunlop tyres on a Ford many years ago, back in the early 1980’s. Due to a manufacturing defect, the tyres became misshaped and steel bracing in the tyres broke through the tyre sidewalls on the inner face. When driving the car, it felt as if the wheels were badly out of balance. No tyre damage was visible with the wheels on the car as the damage was on the inner sidewalls.

I took my car into the local tyre depot thinking I just needed to have the wheels rebalanced but ended up having to buy a new set of tyres! The fitter told me if I’d ignored the imbalance and continued to drive on those defective tyres they could have failed in a catastrophic manner. The defective tyres were sent back to Dunlop and I was reimbursed for the amount of the unworn tyre tread - i.e. if the tyres were 25% worn, I was reimbursed for 75% of what it would cost for replacement Dunlop tyres of the same type.

I accepted reimbursement of an amount equal to the unworn tread, but needless to say, the replacement tyres I’d bought weren’t Dunlops! (and I’ve never bought Dunlop tyres since).

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Evening all,

I have the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 tyres on my 2023 VZ2 Leon (235/35/19).

The car has covered 5k miles and is 9 months old.

I noticed today when checking my tyre pressures that the rear tyres are cracking just below the main tread.

I've seen on here I believe that some tyres (maybe Bridgestone but not certain) have been known for delaminating on these cars and wondered if anybody has had or knows of any issues with the Hankooks?

I believe I've seen recently that there was even a recall on the Bridgestone tyres but for whatever reason when I search on here nothing is coming up.

Any information is much appreciated as always!
Had a lot of different Cupra's, all on different tyres (Bridgestone, Pirelli, Michelin) and never had this. I usually drive hard most of the time too, so they sound faulty to me.

Last edited:

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Had a lot of different Cupra's, all on different tyres (Bridgestine, Pirelli, Michelin) and never had this. I usually drive hard most of the time too, so they sound faulty to me.
I had a Cupra 300 4 Drive before this one with the same size tyres, had Bridgestones on from new and I replaced with Goodyear ASM 6 and neither tyre gave any issues. Will contact Cupra dealer on Tuesday and see what they say.....

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Have a quick look at the DOT code on the tyres. The end numbers (x4) refer to the week and year of manufacture, maybe the tyres are a lot older than the car??

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Have a quick look at the DOT code on the tyres. The end numbers (x4) refer to the week and year of manufacture, maybe the tyres are a lot older than the car??
Thanks for the advice, already checked this and they are week 16 2023 so not really any older than when the car was built. 👍

Reactions: Yern

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It could be faulty tyres but I'd also advise getting your four wheel geometry checked in detail, not just alignment but also camber and toe to ensure it's in spec.

I had something similar happen on a VW some years ago, on that one the inside edges of the rear tyres wore in a saw tooth and those tread blocks looked like the leading edge was being torn - your photo is difficult to judge but if you run your hand around that edge in one direction then the other can you feel uneven and raised edges on those blocks? (It will feel smooth in one direction, bumpy in the other).

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
It could be faulty tyres but I'd also advise getting your four wheel geometry checked in detail, not just alignment but also camber and toe to ensure it's in spec.

I had something similar happen on a VW some years ago, on that one the inside edges of the rear tyres wore in a saw tooth and those tread blocks looked like the leading edge was being torn - your photo is difficult to judge but if you run your hand around that edge in one direction then the other can you feel uneven and raised edges on those blocks? (It will feel smooth in one direction, bumpy in the other).
Tyres are wearing perfectly evenly (checked with digital tread gauge) and no roughness in any direction, all looks perfect other than the cracking. Appreciate your input and suggestions 👍

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It appears to be a Hankook thing; these were fitted 18 months ago.

Attachments

• 20240402_163903.jpg
    20240402_163903.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 52

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
It appears to be a Hankook thing; these were fitted 18 months ago.
Wow they're not good are they for 18 months! I've never had Hankook tyres before and I certainly won't be using them in the future when I need any replacements. Turns out that Kia/Hyundai used to fit Hankooks as their main tyre supplier but after so many recalls on their cars due to faulty tyres they sacked them off!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Wow they're not good are they for 18 months! I've never had Hankook tyres before and I certainly won't be using them in the future when I need any replacements. Turns out that Kia/Hyundai used to fit Hankooks as their main tyre supplier but after so many recalls on their cars due to faulty tyres they sacked them off!
Our Leon ST came with Hankooks from the factory and (being both tight and OCD) when the fronts needed replacing I went with the same again so all 4 matched.
Next time round - which won't be long by the looks of things - I'll replace all 4 with something else. That said, apart from the cracking, the Hankooks are pretty good.

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Our Leon ST came with Hankooks from the factory and (being both tight and OCD) when the fronts needed replacing I went with the same again so all 4 matched.
Next time round - which won't be long by the looks of things - I'll replace all 4 with something else. That said, apart from the cracking, the Hankooks are pretty good.
I'm exactly the same, I like 4 matching tyres! On my last Leon ST 300 4Drive I had 4 Goodyear Asm 6's and they are a great tyre. They are my go to now, I have them on my work car too.

I contacted my local Cupra dealer yesterday and sent them photos of the 'faultly tyres' will update when I hear back from them.

Reactions: markh

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I'm exactly the same, I like 4 matching tyres! On my last Leon ST 300 4Drive I had 4 Goodyear Asm 6's and they are a great tyre. They are my go to now, I have them on my work car too.

I contacted my local Cupra dealer yesterday and sent them photos of the 'faultly tyres' will update when I hear back from th
They look really bad, i wouldn't drive at anything more than town speeds. Manufacturing issue imo, hankook should replace them