Bangernomics

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Decided to try out owning an old banger.

i have taken a new job so lose my van, the new job is 3 miles away so it’s just for going to work 4 days a week.

the particulars

1 owner from new (good start)
2003 (not so good)
Nissan (good)
Almera (not good)
1.5l (pokey)
S edition (uhoh not so good)
107k miles (acceptable)
1 years MOT (good)
£400

here are some pictures of this beautiful machine

2E130A23-BC3F-4CC7-B070-BFFD0D89C248.jpeg

9C629EFF-8B3F-4DCF-A663-C9AD68C43EFB.jpeg
2F48727A-7CC3-42A8-9A71-CA7452DC3243.jpeg

anybody else ever drove a banger, i’m quite looking forward to not giving a toss about a car for a change, plus it’s well.... funny.

I was thinking of making it into a tribute car to my grandad.

flat cap on the dash, tartan rug on the back seats, pipe band cassette, werthers originals in the glovebox

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
At least its a mainstream brand.

My last venture into bangernomics was an obscure sub model of a hideous third world hatchback :

Still, it only depreciated £105 over 6 months reliable commuting.

Ladeez & Gennumen, perleez welcome:

The Proton Wira Diesel - Turbo!!

DSC0000048.jpg

DSC0000049.jpg

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
At least its a mainstream brand.

My last venture into bangernomics was an obscure sub model of a hideous third world hatchback :

Still, it only depreciated £105 over 6 months reliable commuting.

Ladeez & Gennumen, perleez welcome:

The Proton Wira Diesel - Turbo!!

View attachment 24489
View attachment 24490
Every day is a school day. Cannot say i have ever had the pleasure of coming across the WIRA.

feel i have missed out :( looks a fine example

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020

i have taken a new job so lose my van, the new job is 3 miles away so it’s just for going to work 4 days a week.

the particulars

2003 (not so good)
Nissan (good)
Almera (not good)
1.5l (pokey)
107k miles (acceptable)
1 years MOT (good)
£400

View attachment 24485
View attachment 24486 View attachment 24487

anybody else ever drove a banger, i’m quite looking forward to not giving a toss about a car for a change, plus it’s well.... funny.

flat cap on the dash, tartan rug on the back seats, pipe band cassette, werthers originals in the glovebox
Absolute weapon of a machine, my mates got one, automatic, gets absued but keeps going

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Id like a banger to drive.
People round here couldn't drive a greased stick up a dogs arse.
Dont stop at give ways or stop at those shicane things you see everywhere nowadays.
Id like a banger for the scrapes and bangs these f#ckers deserve.
Maybe a Disco with heavy duty bumpers and rock sliders.

May 2, 2021
Lol I had a disco 3 kitted out with sliders etc, it was still invisible to half the planks on the roads round here.
It always surprised me how many idiots wanted to drive their 3 series into the side of 2.75 tonnes of Land Rover just to get one space along a traffic jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rich.T

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Every day is a school day. Cannot say i have ever had the pleasure of coming across the WIRA.

feel i have missed out :( looks a fine example
I just looked it up on Parkers Guide. I never saw a car score only 1 Star on there before :LOL:. Clearly they never actually drove it though - because it was nowhere near as bad as that, and indeed when I chopped it in for a brand new SEAT, the ancient Mitsubishi diesel in it was way more refined than the VAG 1.6TDI that I test drove. It rode better than the SEAT too!

Shame the previous owner appeared to have only resprayed half of it.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Id like a banger to drive.
People round here couldn't drive a greased stick up a dogs arse.
Dont stop at give ways or stop at those shicane things you see everywhere nowadays.
Id like a banger for the scrapes and bangs these f#ckers deserve.
Maybe a Disco with heavy duty bumpers and rock sliders.
There has been plenty of times i wish i had a banger just to go aww fluff it, BANG. Get that right up you

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I could probably stretch to a banger for previous mentioned reasons but its parking wars on my road already so I'll just have to carry on dodging the numpties.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
I just got a quote on a banger 600 quid fi3sta 1.2 anf they want 3 times the price of mi cupra lol

• Haha

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I just got a quote on a banger 600 quid fi3sta 1.2 anf they want 3 times the price of mi cupra lol

Aye the insurance is £260 and i’m 33 years old

i think my A3 is less per year to insure!
Also the tax is £210 so it’s more expensive to insure and tax it than it was to buy it :eek:

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Im 31 and pay 1280 on the 290 with my dad as a named driver absolutely crazy prices cant seem to get it lower than 1200 quid, 2800 go compare quoted me on old banger fiesta 3rd party only lol

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020

the particulars

2003 (not so good)
Nissan (good)
Almera (not good)
1.5l (pokey)
107k miles (acceptable)
1 years MOT (good)
£400

View attachment 24485
View attachment 24486 View attachment 24487

To be honest that’s a bargain price and that car is decent. You hardly ever find genuine decent cars for that kinda money anymore.

PS my banger car is actually my lean mk2 which I brought for £700 and it’s turned into a money pit like all my other cars but it’s probably my favourite one to abuse as it’s a heap lol

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
To be honest that’s a bargain price and that car is decent. You hardly ever find genuine decent cars for that kinda money anymore.

PS my banger car is actually my lean mk2 which I brought for £700 and it’s turned into a money pit like all my other cars but it’s probably my favourite one to abuse as it’s a heap lol
Yeah we buy any car and all these scrappage schemes have killed the cheap car market.

along with covid and the fear of public transport / people handing back their pcp and lease cars for a cheaper alternative the 2nd hand car market is too strong and prices are the highest they have ever been!

along with loads of these cheap garages buying all the we buy any cars at auction and selling £500 cars for £2995 and all that jazz. Finding a bargain is hard these days

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Try living on an island. Car prices are shocking.

I'm from the Channel Islands where there is no competition between franchised dealers so no discounts on new at all.

But now I'm in Tenerife, and here any 25 year old 5hit box with 6 months MOT is 2000 Euro plus!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I just looked it up on Parkers Guide. I never saw a car score only 1 Star on there before :LOL:. Clearly they never actually drove it though - because it was nowhere near as bad as that, and indeed when I chopped it in for a brand new SEAT, the ancient Mitsubishi diesel in it was way more refined than the VAG 1.6TDI that I test drove. It rode better than the SEAT too!

Shame the previous owner appeared to have only resprayed half of it.
My oldest boy's first "good" car was a first generation Proton Aeroback. It was already a few years old when he bought it and it just ran and ran and ran. I looked after it for him and all I ever had to do was change the oil and "fettle" it a bit. After several years of ownership he was woken very early one morning by a humongous bang in the street outside. The poor proton had been "T" boned by bank robbers (who'd believe it?) being chased by the Police trying to escape after attempting to breaking into the bank just up the road. The poor old girl was bent nearly into a "U" shape so that was the end of her!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Bangers are great if you have the experience to know which ones to walk away from and the knowledge and tools to carry out your own repairs. For many years we've run a "good" car ('16 plate Ibiza 1.0 ST at this time) and a "banger" (2010 1.2 Fiat Panda just now). We "discovered" Pandas by accident when our kids were learning to drive and we were looking for cheap to insure vehicles. A Mk1 Panda turned up at a good price (must be over 30 years ago since then) and the insurance was just soooo cheap! We've had a Panda in the family continuously since then, I think the present one is the fifth? and I really find it hard to fault them. - Cheap and very available spares and "easy" to work on as long as you avoid the twin air with it's potentially expensive valve actuating gear. I've even bought Multecuscan for the diagnostics - a really powerful tool for Italian cars if you're into them. Now my older boy runs around in a Punto and it's just as cheap and easy to look after.
PS I'm not a "Nissen man" but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that many of the older models have big problems with subframe corrosion? Maybe a crawl underneath for you when the weather gets better?

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Bangers are great if you have the experience to know which ones to walk away from and the knowledge and tools to carry out your own repairs. For many years we've run a "good" car ('16 plate Ibiza 1.0 ST at this time) and a "banger" (2010 1.2 Fiat Panda just now). We "discovered" Pandas by accident when our kids were learning to drive and we were looking for cheap to insure vehicles. A Mk1 Panda turned up at a good price (must be over 30 years ago since then) and the insurance was just soooo cheap! We've had a Panda in the family continuously since then, I think the present one is the fifth? and I really find it hard to fault them. - Cheap and very available spares and "easy" to work on as long as you avoid the twin air with it's potentially expensive valve actuating gear. I've even bought Multecuscan for the diagnostics - a really powerful tool for Italian cars if you're into them. Now my older boy runs around in a Punto and it's just as cheap and easy to look after.
PS I'm not a "Nissen man" but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that many of the older models have big problems with subframe corrosion? Maybe a crawl underneath for you when the weather gets better?
It has this on previous MOT

• Sub-frame is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced rear subframe has surface corrosion (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Todays MOT it has passed with flying colours without 1 advisory

For £400 if it lasts a year i'll be more than happy

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Should have mentioned that in addition to the Panda (I do get a bit carried away with my old Fiats) my oldest boy runs a 2012 Punto and my younger boy has a 2007 Astra 1.6 estate which he conducts his signmaking business from and is now well over 100,000 miles. The only unexpected trouble we've had with that was when the VVT cam pulleys went all "Spanish" - doing a fair impression of castanets! Bought the pulleys and other bits from Autovaux (genuine Vauxhall) and did the whole job for under £500, about half what the local Vauxhall independent quoted, didn't bother asking the dealer as I wished to avoid a heart attack. His wife's daily driver is a 2008 Honda Jazz, one of the last they built with the 8 spark plug IDSI engines. Just recently we've had to replace a couple of brake calipers which were beyond saving but that's about all except standard servicing. Seems to be true what they say about Honda reliability. Last time she submitted it for MOT I hadn't been able to get my hands on it for it's annual service due to Covid restrictions. She was very worried about this and told the tester about it. His reply was "Don't you worry my dear, of course it'll pass, it's a Honda" - and it did! I spoke to him later and asked him about it, he told me he fails far fewer Hondas than any other make. So you can see, running relative bangers works for us.

PS Bearing in mind that up here in Scotland the road salt tends to kill everything much earlier than you guys down south. I just love seeing all the old guys going round in their old motors when we pay a visit to relatives down in the West Country.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.