Brake upgrades

jdl1981

Hi guy's

Ive got a 2001 Cupra, has anyone uprated their brakes? If so what mods have you done and what are the best brake pads to use?

Cheers

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
As long as you have the wheels to clear them no problems.

Wont have any issues recouping some money either by selling your 312mm set up either.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
I'm going to jump on this thread as closest to what I'm asking. I've got a 1.8T 2002LC. Will be needing some new front discs and pads soon, which is an area I haven't looked into before (only had car 1 year).

First question is guides to DIY - Seen this http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=501&Itemid=6 and http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=6. Are these good for my LC? Also do you really need a Calliper Wind Back Tool?

Second question is which parts. If I go with standard VAG parts, part only is £200 and fitted, the Stealer will do £269. I'm not looking for the best of the best pads as I don't drive that much but may as well try better than VAG originals for cheaper if I can.

Suggestions I've seen for top rated are: Federo DS2500 pads (c. £110 for pair at europerformance - first place that came up on google) and EBC Ultimax discs (£210 pair), so a bit beyond my budget. Also seen suggestions of Badget 5 2 piece discs but don't know how much they cost.

Any suggestions for less top spec but still good/better than VAG standard? E.g. EBC Ultimax pad would be £35 and £80 for EBC Standard discs? Or Black Diamond pads £53...

Third questions is best online or instore places to purchase...

Thanks for all help guys.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I'm going to jump on this thread as closest to what I'm asking. I've got a 1.8T 2002LC. Will be needing some new front discs and pads soon, which is an area I haven't looked into before (only had car 1 year).

First question is guides to DIY - Seen this http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=501&Itemid=6 and http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=6. Are these good for my LC? Also do you really need a Calliper Wind Back Tool?

Second question is which parts. If I go with standard VAG parts, part only is £200 and fitted, the Stealer will do £269. I'm not looking for the best of the best pads as I don't drive that much but may as well try better than VAG originals for cheaper if I can.

Suggestions I've seen for top rated are: Federo DS2500 pads (c. £110 for pair at europerformance - first place that came up on google) and EBC Ultimax discs (£210 pair), so a bit beyond my budget. Also seen suggestions of Badger 5 2 piece discs but don't know how much they cost.

Any suggestions for less top spec but still good/better than VAG standard? E.g. EBC Ultimax pad would be £35 and £80 for EBC Standard discs? Or Black Diamond pads £53...

Third questions is best online or instore places to purchase...

Thanks for all help guys.

No you dont "need" the tool i used a pair of players when i did mine and only needed on the rears

Depends on your car really if as you say you dont do many miles and if the car is not heavily modded you can get much cheaper discs i got grooved 312mm discs for under £100 and they where good i had no problems with them at all, i have now got the four pot bembo's

Pads are worth it, they are the best

Look at both and find the best deal, more on offer on line imo

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
No you dont "need" the tool i used a pair of players when i did mine and only needed on the rears

Depends on your car really if as you say you dont do many miles and if the car is not heavily modded you can get much cheaper discs i got grooved 312mm discs for under £100 and they where good i had no problems with them at all, i have now got the four pot bembo's

Pads are worth it, they are the best

Look at both and find the best deal, more on offer on line imo

Which discs were they?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I've got to put rear discs and pads on mine at weekend.

Do I definatly need a wind back tool for the back? can I not just use some plumbers pliers like I did on the fronts?

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
TBH, I've been trying to find the thread that I saw the other day where someone mentioned an LCR with Cupra 17" wheels for track use but I can't remember who it was or where I read it. All I remember was that it had blue wheels... If you can put those wheels on an LCR then I'm sure that you can fit Brembos to the Cupra, I just can't recall if spacers were required or not... It's a subject that I've seen covered loads of times in my short time here, so it's there if you search... I just haven't found it yet

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
TBH, I've been trying to find the thread that I saw the other day where someone mentioned an LCR with Cupra 17" wheels for track use but I can't remember who it was or where I read it. All I remember was that it had blue wheels... If you can put those wheels on an LCR then I'm sure that you can fit Brembos to the Cupra, I just can't recall if spacers were required or not... It's a subject that I've seen covered loads of times in my short time here, so it's there if you search... I just haven't found it yet

DannyC87's thread, he has blue starfish 17's over big brakes on his LCR

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=214599

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
DannyC87's thread, he has blue starfish 17's over big brakes on his LCR
Thanks Adam. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

This was the photo in question:

IMG_0081.jpg

And this was the post itself: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2656965&postcount=124

One other thing:

had to put 15mm spacers on the front; and with 330mm disc conversion there was only a couple of mm between the caliper and inner wheel radially if that makes sense?

So I guess we can't use his car as an exact comparison anyway. Oh well

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise