Car cut out while driving BLT 1.9tdi

Jan 28, 2022
As the title suggests, the car cut out completely when I was driving, tried starting it up again and it would just keep cranking and not start, suspected could be fuel pump not pumping fuel but checked it and it is getting fuel. Prior to this I did get a lot of work done to the car, camshafts, new fuel injectors and timing belt kit, it was perfect for a month until this happened, took it has to the garage and they saying it has low compression on all cylinders, just asking what you guys thinking it could possibly be as I am at a lost on what has actually happened and why the car just died outta the blue. Thanks

Jan 28, 2022
Low compression on all cylinders?

It's popped the cambelt and smashed valves into pistons.
No the cambelt and everything else is find, I've done for research and a few people have suggested that changing the crankshaft sensor could potentially fix the issue

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
No the cambelt and everything else is find, I've done for research and a few people have suggested that changing the crankshaft sensor could potentially fix the issue
Crankshaft sensor wouldn't cause low compression. That would point towards a timing issue. Either the garage is wrong or your timing is out. Has the camshaft snapped or something similar? Have you removed the rocker cover? That is what i would suggest.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Either parts failure or they've stuffed up the install. Something has let go and it's probably destroyed the engine

There's no good way to lose compression on all cylinders

Reactions: mty12345
Jan 28, 2022
Crankshaft sensor wouldn't cause low compression. That would point towards a timing issue. Either the garage is wrong or your timing is out. Has the camshaft snapped or something similar? Have you removed the rocker cover? That is what i would suggest.
I haven't as of yet but I'm just going off what the garage as told me they said they checked the timing and it seemed fine but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt, I believe they haven't really checked anything or they ****** up with the install as I got the camshafts and timing belt changed with this garage so it's all pointing towards that

Jan 28, 2022
Either parts failure or they've stuffed up the install. Something has let go and it's probably destroyed the engine

There's no good way to lose compression on all cylinders
The car does want start up has really long crack but in all honesty I don't know if it is low compression this is what the garage has I reckon to cover their back with a messed up install of parts

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I haven't as of yet but I'm just going off what the garage as told me they said they checked the timing and it seemed fine but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt, I believe they haven't really checked anything or they ****** up with the install as I got the camshafts and timing belt changed with this garage so it's all pointing towards that
Yeah looks that way mate. I don't have any experience of what the cam set up is like on that engine, but if the belt and the timing marks look good, my best guess would be that the camshaft has somehow moved in relation to the camshaft pulley. (possible if they didn't torque it correctly)

If the camshaft is out of time with the crankshaft, then all the valves would be partially open when they should be shut, and that would give you low compression and cause it not to start. If it's only a few degrees out then you may have got away without the valves hitting the pistons, but again i'm not familiar with how much clearance you have in the diesel motors, it's usually not very much though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.