excessive vibration under load on Mk1 Leon FR Tdi after cambelt change

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
Had the cambelt changed and full service at 57k miles.

Now, when I accelerate from 2nd, 3rd and 4th, from stationary and at lowish revs, i feel a fairly harsh vibration through the accelerator pedal that definately wasn't there before the belt/service was done. It's not something that has developed over time after the service, rather is has been apparent since the very first drive.

I took it back to the garage and the mechanic couldn't really see/feel the problem and said it felt like normal vibrations. Driving the car everyday, I know when something has changed and that's definately the case here.

Any ideas what it could be? He said it might be that some engine mounts, having been removed, are now seated differently and are resonating. I'm not so sure.

I need some things for him to check. He's a good mechanic and our family have used him for years with no probs, but I know when something is not right with the car...

Thanks chaps.

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
I do have a DMF, but its the fact it was fine before the service and now something is up, suggests its not related to that...

I just wonder if something is getting damaged :(

henryk

Mar 16, 2008
fife,scotland
Same happened to my fr, it went in for it's 60,000 mile service which cam belt and tensioners were replaced. When driving away from the garage I felt a vibration through the accelerator pedal, took it back and they checked it out but didn't find anything wrong, said it could be the DMF which I was not happy about. Anyway, after a couple of weeks the vibration got less and less to finally it disappeared and touch wood has been fine since.

Dave_b

I have the same issue. Took the mk4 cordoba in for service at APS in Brackley.... on the way home a vibration began when the engine is loaded accelerating through the gears 2nd and 3rd at around 2000 rpm its very noticable.

Will take it back tomorow and let them have a look at it.

Never had this issue before. APS are usually very good. :(

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
I've been back twice to the place that did the work - they checked the engine mounts to no avail. The mechanic drove the car and said it was just 'normal vibrations', which is horsesh*t. Took it to SEAT where they found the turbo pipe had a broken clip and said that was causing the vibration. £126 later, it's still there.

I'm really keen to see what APS say to you, Dave. Hopefully they can find the solution and it's the same for my car, as it's doing my head in now :(

When you press the accelerator to it's maximum travel in 3rd, does it constantly vibrate? Mine does. Less so in 4th, hardly at all in 5th. Weird.

Dave_b

Just took one of the mechanics for a spin round the block at APS. He recons its an engine cover vibration they are notorious to mount back on correctly and can vibrate.

Its a new noise to him though. He definitly recognised it as a fault. You cant really miss it.

They are looking at it now (as I spaek) will let you know the outcome (if there is any)

yeah the noise fades through fifth and sixth gears, which makes me think its a resonating bit of plastic or something. Seems to vibrate most in 3rd at 2000 - 2500 RPM..

hmmmm.

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
Thanks for the update Dave.

This is interesting news. It will also be interesting to see if that sorts it. Fingers well and truly crossed...

Dave_b

well.... the verdict.

ITS FIXED! and and no extra cost!

It was ridiculous. they all took truns to have a listen, managed to (somehow) work out that it was the bonnet arm. (the small swing arm that holds the bonnet open)

As the bonet was cloed, it would pop out of its clip and rattle on the engine bay and battery casing.

The clip is 2 quid to replace, will look tomorow online. bit of tape should do the trick till then!

So simple... but I would never have worked it out!

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
hmm, I don't think my car has the same problem. If the catch was broken, did the arm fall when you opened the bonnet, rather then staying in the same place? I'll have a look at my catch, hopefully it is duff and taping will fix the vibrations.

Dave_b

just had a quick look, the catch was loose so it held it in but it had alot of play in it. I could see some marks on the plastic where it had rubbed.

Dave_b

A bit of glue and a plastic "wedge" seems to have temp sorted it. Will pop into the garage tomorow to collect the new very expensive plastic part (20 pence).

I will have a good chat with the maehanic too get some more precise details for you.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.