My LCR 225 Test Drive Verdict

chiefsilverback

Terrible thing a poo poo!
Mar 21, 2005
RTW, Kent
andycupra said:
basically it doesnt have a traditional cable linked to the throttle body.
the connection between the throttle and engine is purely electrical.

Which makes left foot braking difficult because the ECU can see that both the brake and throttle are being pressed and just ignore the throttle!!! :(

allaction

Jun 26, 2005
I was going to have a go in a civic before buying my petrol FR but when I asked the sales man what king of deal I could expect he said "I wouldn't even throw a set of mats in"! Needless to say I didn't even bother to test it!

Rickman

Have owned a LCR from 4k to it's now 50K and from my experience these engines need a lot of running in, very different to my experience of the high revving Honda VTEC which when i owned one seemed to give maximum performance straight from new. Once my LCR got past 25k it really started to fly and now performance is almost unrecognisable from when it was new.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Have owned a LCR from 4k to it's now 50K and from my experience these engines need a lot of running in, very different to my experience of the high revving Honda VTEC which when i owned one seemed to give maximum performance straight from new. Once my LCR got past 25k it really started to fly and now performance is almost unrecognisable from when it was new.

Having got rid of both my LCR's prior to 22k miles I now feel cheated!

nibbles

And Impreza
I test drove the civic before my new LCR :cartman: it was nice and exciting in the fact is was a different drive but having to make the engine scream everywhere to get the best from it i felt it would get tiresome after a while espeacially having two kids, the seating was no good.:rolleyes:

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
I know of a bloke on another forum who bought a Renault 225 Megane and he has had som many problems thats its being part exd for an Astra VXR after 3 months.

My Dad had a clio williams yrs ago, that fell apart and it doesnt look like they have improved much!!

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
I was going to have a go in a civic before buying my petrol FR but when I asked the sales man what king of deal I could expect he said "I wouldn't even throw a set of mats in"! Needless to say I didn't even bother to test it!

Honda dealers are tight ar$es. I test drove a CTR last year and quite liked it. However they wanted about £2000 more for it than most similar models that were on Autotrader.

They offered me £200 off the list price.

When I said "No way" the response was "If you can't afford it, then it's not the car for you!"

My response "I can afford it, but refuse to pay your rediculously inflated prices when there's 1000s of them on the market".

As well as that, all of their cars were covered in bird crap as they had pigeons nesting in the rafters, and one of their demo CTRs had a massive dent in the rear bumper but was still on at £16.5K!

I left, and 2 weeks later bought a Revo'd LCR. Bosh!

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
I think the BMW 1 series is the parallel altenrative to the Mini Cooper, for all the budding 19 year old estate agents with their company cars.

They look like shoes from the side and I hate them.

The tagent this thread has sort of gone off on has got me thinking. For the money, £5,000-£9000ish... what else is there aside from the CTR and the Leon Cupra/R? I've been looking at the Clio 182 etc. but no matter where I turn, I find myself back with SEAT. (Not a bad thing...)

What other hot-hatches are worth a look? I want it to be fast. Not 1000bhp Skyline fast, but definitely something to toy with the low-sped Imprezas.

Any suggestions?

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Honda dealers are tight ar$es. I test drove a CTR last year and quite liked it. However they wanted about £2000 more for it than most similar models that were on Autotrader.

They offered me £200 off the list price.

When I said "No way" the response was "If you can't afford it, then it's not the car for you!"

My response "I can afford it, but refuse to pay your rediculously inflated prices when there's 1000s of them on the market".

As well as that, all of their cars were covered in bird crap as they had pigeons nesting in the rafters, and one of their demo CTRs had a massive dent in the rear bumper but was still on at £16.5K!

I left, and 2 weeks later bought a Revo'd LCR. Bosh!

Such a true comment. Honda dealers are notoriously rigid when it comes to reductions and deals. Ever see that buyers guide show with the bald bloke and the camp fella? They were advising a 60-something bloke on sporty coupes for his £24k budget.. one of the choices was the S2000. They basically said if you get mats chucked in, you've won a battle. He managed to get the rear luggage bars and mats but paid full price for the rest.

Honda for ya.

Last edited:

Rickman

In reply to LiCkWid,

I'm in the same boat as you i tend to go around the houses thinking about the next car but still end up with SEAT,
In answer to what you could get for 9K what about a Supra RZ, you might be able to find a mid 1990's example for that. It's a bit of a wildcard i know but still looks fantastic. and 0-60 close to 5 secs i think.
Personally i'm not brave enough to take the gamble. Can't begin to imagine the costs if somthing serious goes wrong.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Its a good suggestion -I've been pricing Supras up for a while. Bonsaicars.com will import or already have done so, a Supra SZ-R Single turbo for £5900 40,000 miles. Admiral quoted me £1000ish.

The running/servicing/repair costs are insane. My gfs dad is a Supra fan. Skimming his head and replacing the water pump on his RZ has cost £2700 ..... WTF?!?!

But yeh, definitely still an opion. I know ultimately itll be a Cupra/R but so many options... Pulsar GTi-R anyone? :D