Stickin/stiff climate control buttons

johntheboy

Mar 25, 2006
Teesside - North East
Bit of a strange issue with this one... '05 plate FR+, the climate control buttons for the AC, auto and windscreen de-mister are stiff as hell. Couldn't push any of them in this morning and it does seem that it's with it being cold as though the plastic is actually contracting so they wont push in as when the temp gets up in the cabin or when the weather is warmer they issue eases or goes away.

Also at the moment when I push the air con button it stays on for a split seccond then goes off.... but the temp has been extremely low for a while so could be that? But then I started my car a couple of times and it's switched it's self on :confused:

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
i had the same issue with the aircon not switching on, i think its by design. I've read somewhere that if the temperature outside is too low (below 5 degrees or something) then the air con won't activate to stop the system from freezing up or something along those lines.

The buttons on my climate control (temp and fan speed) are also a little mor edifficult to press when the temp is low. I'm thinking that its just dirt between the button and housing so i was planning on giving the interior a damn good clean when the weather is a little warmer to see if it remedies the problem.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have this aswell but this is due to wife spilling coke (cola, not cocaine, she knows not to spill that, lol) down this and leaving a sticky mess. Its worst for me on my stereo volume button, proper PITA.

-LeonFR-

Any more thoughts on this? I have the same problem with the temp up/down button and after being a slight PITA since I got the car, they are now pretty much stuck all the time. I might take the unit out and see if I can do something with them. Getting tired of these niggles, this is why I used to own Mazdas! ;)

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I have this aswell but this is due to wife spilling coke (cola, not cocaine, she knows not to spill that, lol) down this and leaving a sticky mess. Its worst for me on my stereo volume button, proper PITA.

Similar here although it was Blackcurrant Fruit Shoot I think, due to the drink holder being right above these controls.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Muc off I wouldn't advise as its pretty harsh. If you don't have the above mentioned then fairy liquid solution would do the same

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
my heated rear screen button started doing this after a drink spillage. I bought some switch cleaner in an aerosol from maplin's. it comes with a little tube attachment so you can squirt it into tight spaces. worked a treat and is really safe on plastic surfaces and obviously totally safe on electronics.

clicky http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27515

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
my heated rear screen button started doing this after a drink spillage. I bought some switch cleaner in an aerosol from maplin's. it comes with a little tube attachment so you can squirt it into tight spaces. worked a treat and is really safe on plastic surfaces and obviously totally safe on electronics.

clicky http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27515

Excellent cheers, will give this a try

R69

Nov 18, 2008
West Midlands
Erm, how come you lot or your partners keep spilling drinks on your c/c & stereo area??? :think:

Am I missing out on some kind of "in-car entertainment" here that I don't know about?!?!!? :redface:

And there's me thinking I had a fairly unsheltered childhood!!! :p

-LeonFR-

Had a closer look at mine, and it looks like the previous owner has indeed spilt something on the buttons! I will give the Maplin switch cleaner stuff a try - thanks all! :)