Water Ingress in Rear Light Repairable?

Apr 20, 2024
Hi all. Not long had a MK3 Leon and I have noticed there is condensation in the rear light cluster (outer cluster pictured). The light still works fine but my worry is that over time the moisture would corrode the electrics. I have seen videos of people easily removing the unit but not one showing someone repairing the existing light. It has been mentioned as a common issue but I would rather repair it than replace. Note it is the LED version so a replacement would cost considerably more than the standard bulb version but it would also harder to test I'm guessing (traditionally submerging in water with bulbs and electrics removed). Has anyone attempted to fix these? I know some people suggest drilling a hole inside to permit airflow but I would prefer it fully sealed so I would gently heat the light to hopefully evaporate the water and then fully seal the edges. If it is possible to fix are there any suggestions for identifying the crack and a good sealant to use?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240413_090317847.jpg
    PXL_20240413_090317847.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 33

Deleted member 139706

I highly suggest just drilling a drain/vent hole and leaving it be.

I tried to do exactly what you want to do, repair it, reseal it, I tried everything. Silicone, plastic welding, glue, you name it I tried it, but unfortunately the cracking is in such a place and is so small and long, it's basically impossible to 'fix'. The good thing is, the way it cracks means that water can't ever really go anywhere near the LEDs/electrics, so it's not really a huge problem. I think the condensation would do more damage than running rain water.

I gave up after a while, drilled one or two wee tiny drain holes at the bottom, and I haven't had a drop of condensation since.

(FYI, this is a known problem that was originally solved by SEAT dealers replacing them. The crack is huge - fault is that the plastic around the studs for mounting the lights crack due to being overtorqued during manufacturing, causing the entire thing to hairline crack. If you pop yours out and look at the very top left, thinnest part, remove the mounting stud you'll see it!)