Pics/advice required - towbar on an Ibiza? (Cupra TDI)

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
This is my car packed with 2 bikes and enough gear for a 2 week downhillin holiday in the alps! Its not really as bad as u mite think! However, i left the rear seats out and folded the backs down lol... car looks pretty low for standard i mite add :D

DSC01325.jpg

Just get urself a couple of bike bags and try packing it anywhich way u can :)

horace1664

Jul 1, 2007
England
I've been looking at Brink tonight too. Brink manufacture the towbar that SEAT supply for the Cupra (the one at £99.99) so I'm wondering if they also make the detachable one for the Ibiza. This isn't supposed to fit the FR/Cupra but I can't see why not: all it does it exit through the bumper, and you fit a covering piece of plastic when it's not attached.

I'm missing something.

Where does it say that it will not fit the Ibiza Cupra, are we looking at the same site (the one I see is £204.69 for the detachable version)?

Search under http://www.brinktowbars.co.uk/new/order2.php
for look for Brinkmatic Classic for the Ibiza > 2002 , no mention of not for FR or Cupra?

To make matters even more strange....
seat.es states the towing capacity of any Mk IV Ibiza Cupra as 0kg
seat.co.uk states the towing capacity of a Mk IV Ibiza Cupra 1177kg for a TDI
or 1248kg for the other ones (which can't be mentioned by me, as where I live Derv is cheaper than petrol and you don't get scr.d by Mr Brown for extra tax etc (that's a point who is the new Mr Brown nowadays..must look that up.) .

James

Last edited:

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
R1ch85 - cheers, got myself a big bike already. Great for long trips, but I'm a regular night-rider, and it's a royal PITA unpacking the back then reloading a muddy bike in pitch darkness twice a week. I really need something quick and easy as it's putting me off at the moment!

James - argh, too many different towbars that I can't link to properly to show you which ones I mean!

On www.seat.co.uk there are 4 towbars listed:

1/ "Towbar - detachable" - part no. ZGB6L0092155 @ £207.00
2/ "Towbar - detachable swan neck" - part no. 6L0803890 @ £188.00
3/ "Towbar - 2 bolt flange" - part no. ZGB6L0092100 @ £99.99
4/ "Towbar - fixed" - part no. ZGB6L0092101 @ £107.00

Of the above, the "Towbar - 2 bolt flange" is the only one supposed to fit the FR/Cupra according to SEAT. I ordered this towbar from my local dealer after being told it involved NO cutting of the bumper. When it arrived we found out from the fitting instructions that it DID involve a large visible cut in the bumper. This towbar is 100% definately made for SEAT by Brink (it was stamped all over the towbar and the instructions that came with it), hence I'm wondering if the other towbars SEAT have above are also made by Brink.

The "Brinkmatic Classic" @ £204.69 (part no. 366000) on the Brink website is the one I think could be made to fit the Cupra. I know it doesn't say anything on the Brink site about it not fitting the FR/Cupra version, but I have my doubts. There's a section elsewhere on the Brink website that says that their towbars don't always fit the "sporty" models of cars due to deeper bumpers... Have you requested the fitting instructions pdf for this one? I did, and they show a 140mmx75mm cut-out required in the bumper on a "normal" Ibiza. But, I think this might be the same towbar as the 2nd towbar I listed by SEAT above - the "Towbar - detachable swan neck" (part no. 6L0803890 @ £188.00). I'm only making an educated guess given that Brink supply the cheaper SEAT towbar as I mentioned above.

If the "Brinkmatic Classic" towbar is the same as the one on the SEAT site, then I'm sure it could be made to fit very neatly. SEAT even offer a bit of plastic that covers the hole when the towbar isn't in use. This pic is the "Towbar - detachable swan neck" as seen on the SEAT website, but it looks like an older "Sport"-style rear bumper it's fitted to:

Ibizadetachabletowbar.jpg

What do you think?

I emailed SEAT last night, not hopeful of a useful reply but I'm willing to try anything. Ideally, I'd like to try the "Towbar - detachable swan neck" that SEAT can supply, but my local dealers will only order it in on the basis that it's non-returnable, i.e. once it's ordered I'd have to take it whether it fits or not, despite never having seen the towbar, no refunds possible (bloody useless that is IMO).

Any ideas?!

I thought about a call to Brink, but I can pretty much guarantee they'll say their Brinkmatic Classic probably wouldn't fit due to the sporty, deeper bumpers...

Ally

P.S. Don't worry about the towing ratings. In the handbook the Cupra versions have a 0kg towing rating due to cooling issues (apparently), but if all we'd be doing is sticking a bike rack plus 2/3 bikes on a towbar (total weight around 30-45kg) that won't be an issue. I certainly wouldn't try towing a heavy caravan...

zippyprorider

Feeling the power!!!
Dec 26, 2005
hope the towbar works mate coz then ill have to get one lol! cant put my downhill bike on the roof anymore as its too heavy! (stinky supreme if that means owt) well good luck man!

Andy

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Christ that must weigh a ton - sod lifting that above your head. I'm more a XC/trail riding kinda rider, got a Cotic Soul steel hardtail and also a Dialled Bikes Love/Hate singlespeed (also a steel hardtail). Both nice n light but both with 130mm or so forks ;)

horace1664

Jul 1, 2007
England
On www.seat.co.uk there are 4 towbars listed:

1/ "Towbar - detachable" - part no. ZGB6L0092155 @ £207.00
2/ "Towbar - detachable swan neck" - part no. 6L0803890 @ £188.00
3/ "Towbar - 2 bolt flange" - part no. ZGB6L0092100 @ £99.99
4/ "Towbar - fixed" - part no. ZGB6L0092101 @ £107.00...

Ok I've found whre you are looking.

It's a shame about the two bolt flange fitting.

I mailed Bosal about the Oris-Matic which looked good, but no version for Cupras. Asked about other options, but no reply up to now.

I have looked at the fitting instructions for the "Brinkmatic Classic".
It has a cutout of 140mmx75mm plus an 80mm dia hole, so I don't that this is the same towbar as the 2nd towbar listed by SEAT above - the "Towbar - detachable swan neck" (part no. 6L0803890 @ £188.00). `

Looking at the picture of the 2d Seat one, I think the numberplate on a Cupra is lower on the bumper so the ball may well obscure the plate.

I could well be wrong as I'm still waiting for my Cupra as the state capital is on a two week Fiesta so I can't get it registered!

When it arrives, I'll have to take the bumper off, for a look at where the towbar fixings are in relation to the bumper cutout.

It would be neat if the cutout needs to be under the numberplate.
Now there is an idea......:idea:

James

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
A nice little cut-out below (or behind?!) the number plate on the Cupra bumper would be perfect. I might take the bumper off and investigate this weekend. It wouldn’t be an issue if the ball obscured the plate if it’s a removable towbar, as any bike rack or trailer would obscure the plate anyway (I’m planning on a bike rack with built-in lighting board/number plate). The plate recess on the Cupra bumper is certainly lower, but from comparing mine against the pic on the SEAT site of the 2nd towbar I think it’d still be OK.

Just imagine if the cut-out in the bumper was level with the number plate. Fit the towbar, make the cut-out, then stick your number plate back on with strong Velcro. Et voila, a hidden towbar! All you’d need to do would be take off the number plate, slot in the detachable neck of the towbar, and off you go! Probably too good to be true, but that would be perfect.

That towbar is my target at the moment, despite SEAT’s site saying it’s not suitable for the Cupra. I really can’t see why not if it uses the same fix points. Just as long as a cover would be available to cover the hole in the bumper. I need to know more about it from SEAT though before I commit to buying one – I ain’t wasting £188 on a non-returnable towbar that might not fit, but as yet no response from SEAT.

Let me know how you get on with the Bosal enquiry – I’m glad there’s someone else on the case of towbars :)

Last edited:

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
1st one (fixed) looks like it's on the back of a red "Sport" model (pre-FR)

2nd one (detachable) is on a normal newer-shape Ibiza if I'm looking right - similar shaping of the bumper as the Cupra but not as deep, and number plate recess higher.

Certainly encouraging, nice find :). Comparing the two, they both look to use the same permanent attachement to the car (i.e. the big black bar and bit that hangs down - the bit that the removable neck plugs in to). So the removeable one should be just as low as the fixed one. Doesn't look like the deliver to the UK though :(

I'm going to try my best and free up some time to take the bumper off tomorrow night after work and have a good look at the attachment points, etc. and try and figure out where the Brinkmatic Classic or Bosal detachable bar would exit through a Cupra bumper. Although I might have to wait until the weekend to give me more time...

Whereabouts are you based James? I'm guessing somewhere not in the UK!?

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Ahh, a great grasp of Spanish then ;)

I've just had acknowledgement from SEAT that they're investigating my e-mail query about towbars. Fingers crossed I'll get a good response...

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Update # 1: a contender! :)

Steveb8189 has very nicely posted up some pics of his Ibiza FR fitted with a "PCT" towbar he had fitted by Trident Trailers - so that's a real possibility for fitting to my Cupra. It's a fixed towbar, i.e. it's on display all the time. I'd be happy with this although I'd probably have the electric socket wired inside the boot and just feed the cable out as required, just for neatness.

IbizaFR-PCTtowbarpic1.jpg

IbizaFR-PCTtowbarpic2.jpg

Am I right is saying the FR rear bumper is the same as the Cupra bumper as in this pic of mine???

So, that's a definate option for a towbar on an Ibiza FR or Cupra - a PCT fixed towbar will definately fit with a small bit of non-visible cutting of the bumper (see the earlier pics in this thread showing the cut).

However, I reckon there's another possible (neater but more expensive) solution out there. To be continued...

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Update # 2: a possibility...

I emailed SEAT UK the other day asking what their reasons were for not recommending this detachable towbar for use on the FR/Cupra:

This is the response I got today (I'm pleasantly surprised at the detail and helpfulness at explaining it, certainly given the experiences I had with Renault. gold star to SEAT for effort!):

"Dear Mr Mitchell

I write further to your e-mail dated 18th September 2007.

After investigating your enquiry with SEAT UK's Technical Department, they have advised that the only tow bar that is approved for use on the Ibiza FR and Cupra range of vehicles, is the 'Towbar - 2 Bolt Flange' part number ZGB6L0092100. SEAT UK do not approve the use of any other tow bar including the "detachable" tow bar. The reason for this is because the clearance between bumper and ball, if fitted, will be below the legal limit.

I hope this information is of use to you.

Kind Regards

Andy Munnelly
Customer Service Advisor
SEAT UK Customer Service Centre"

OK, from their response I guess the FR/Cupra bumper must stick out further from the back of ther car than a regular Ibiza rear bumper? Is this correct?

The towbar won't stick as far out from the back of the car on an FR/Cupra, but I'm wondering it it'll still stick out far enough to allow a bike carrier to be mounted. I'm gonna have to do a bit of research I think - find out the extra depth of a FR/Cupra bumper over a regular one. I don't care if I go below the legal limit of clearance, just as long as the bike rack fits! It's a very neat option as the ball itself can be removed and a cover put over the hole when the towbar isn't in use, but the towbar itself costs £188 (compared to the fixed PCT towbar in my last post). Is it worth it?

To be continued again...

Ally :)

Last edited:

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Hmmm....

From http://www.brinktowbars.co.uk/new/faq.htm:

"Towballs are not interchangeable between bars. They are designed for specific vehicles and comply with legal and technical requirements. Therefore we are unable to supply towballs for any vehicles they are not designed for (e.g. to alter the height, to extend the ball away from the bumper etc.). To do so would invalidate type approval & render the bar illegal. There must also be a minimum distance of 65mm between the bumper and the centre of the towball to conform to directive EC94/20."

I'll be fitting whatever towbar I get, so there's no issues about a place refusing to fit a bar because it's only designed for the regular Ibiza and not the FR/Cupra. I just wonder how much "longer" an FR/Cupra is than a regular Ibiza. Will I still have enough clearance? A trip to the local dealer with a tape measure and an assistant is in order I think... ;)

Good news is the carrier needs very little clearance to fit onto the towball.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.