Oil...What to use in your TDI

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Its backwards compatable, so I should think so. However its a higher spec than you need, so it would work out cheaper getting an alternative. Search pd oil on ebay and there are lots you need 505 01, which is for a 1.9pd. However some say if you chip to over 150bhp you should use a higher spec oil:shrug:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
It says I need 506.01 for my Ibiza Cupra TDI, so I'm guessing that 507.00 should be ok? The only thing that concerns me is that everything I've read says it's not for cars without the DPF or variable servicing? :shrug:

Deleted member 23080

Hi

Can someone help my i have an 02 tdi s 100bhp model what oil should mine take???????

My work stocks total oil's

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Well on Totals site there is Total Quartz 505.01 5w40, which is suitable for you. Any oil that is vw505.01 approved or higher is ok, ie 506.01/507.00 not 505.00 or lower.It wiil normall mention for vw pump injection or p.d on the bottle. The stuff that vag sell called quantum is
5w40 as is the fuchs stuff I normally use.

I a of course guessing that yours is a pd?? 100bhp usually are:confused: If not vw505
The price tends to rise the higher the spec so you only need 505.01 really in a pd

Deleted member 23080

Well on Totals site there is Total Quartz 505.01 5w40, which is suitable for you. Any oil that is vw505.01 approved or higher is ok, ie 506.01/507.00 not 505.00 or lower.It wiil normall mention for vw pump injection or p.d on the bottle. The stuff that vag sell called quantum is
5w40 as is the fuchs stuff I normally use.

I a of course guessing that yours is a pd?? 100bhp usually are:confused: If not vw505
The price tends to rise the higher the spec so you only need 505.01 really in a pd

My engine code is ATD not sure about PD etc my work sells 5w40 which is full synthetic

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
My engine code is ATD not sure about PD etc my work sells 5w40 which is full synthetic

5w 40 is great, full synthetic is excellent, but you must use (as has just been pointed out) a 5w 40, full synthetic oil which carries the VW505.01 specification on the bottle.

Go here and click on the "Engine" link. Any oil which has the specification 505.01 and suitable for VW pd engines is what you need. 5w 40 weight is fine, 5w 30 weight is aswell but will be more expensive due to being engineered for longlife sevice regime which Seat doesn't use.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23080

5w 40 is great, full synthetic is excellent, but you must use (as has just been pointed out) a 5w 40, full synthetic oil which carries the VW505.01 specification on the bottle.

Go here and click on the "Engine" link. Any oil which has the specification 505.01 and suitable for VW pd engines is what you need. 5w 40 weight is fine, 5w 30 weight is aswell but will be more expensive due to being engineered for longlife sevice regime which Seat doesn't use.

Sorry to be a pain the total quartz 9000 fully synthetic 5w40 says on the back

Performances
level vw 502.00 / 505.00

So i take it the the oil above would not be ok then????

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Sorry to be a pain the total quartz 9000 fully synthetic 5w40 says on the back

Performances
level vw 502.00 / 505.00

So i take it the the oil above would not be ok then????

505.00 isn't 505.01, so no it's no good.

@ Nick:
"I'm confused I have a 1.9 TDI 150 2004 Leon Cupra is this a PD or not?"

Yes it's a PD so 505.01 oil minimum for you aswell.

Rocky786

Hi Guys,

I am new to TDI's. I have a 1998 Seat Ibiza TDI (90hp).

Firstly, is it a PD engine or not?
I know the Specification has to be VW 505.00, however, what should the Grade be? (i.e will 5w30 be ok for the UK climate?)

The owners manual tells me to select the oil with regards to the ambient temprature. And I believe that based on the UK weather the 5W30 is better than going for thicker oils like 10W30.

Best Wishes

Rocky

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
From the first post in this thread...

VW505.00

Basically for all of the older diesel (read non-PD) diesel engines:

1.6 & 1.9 D/TD/SDI/TDI90/TDI110 & 2.5TDI & 3.3TDI

VW505.01

For Diesel PD engines:

1.4TDI & 1.9PD's (115/130/150) & 2.0

VW506.01

As above but for variable service (extended range servicing).

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Hi Guys,

I am new to TDI's. I have a 1998 Seat Ibiza TDI (90hp).

Firstly, is it a PD engine or not?
I know the Specification has to be VW 505.00, however, what should the Grade be? (i.e will 5w30 be ok for the UK climate?)

The owners manual tells me to select the oil with regards to the ambient temprature. And I believe that based on the UK weather the 5W30 is better than going for thicker oils like 10W30.

First thing: ignore the owner's manual. There have been several technical service bulletins (TSB) since 1998, with upgraded information regarding oil requirements.

In the US, there have been very few diesel-rated 5w30 motor oils. Nearly all 5w30's carry gas-engine specs only, and some of them actually state "For Gasoline Engines Only". (Gas=Petrol) You need a heavy-duty oil that is designed to hold soot in suspension and still provide good protection... most 5w30's can't do this. And changing the oil more frequently doesn't compensate for the weaker additive package found in most 5w30 oils for gas engines.

Protecting your engine is more important than trying to eke out an extra 2-3% better fuel economy.

Rocky786

First thing: ignore the owner's manual. There have been several technical service bulletins (TSB) since 1998, with upgraded information regarding oil requirements.

In the US, there have been very few diesel-rated 5w30 motor oils. Nearly all 5w30's carry gas-engine specs only, and some of them actually state "For Gasoline Engines Only". (Gas=Petrol) You need a heavy-duty oil that is designed to hold soot in suspension and still provide good protection... most 5w30's can't do this. And changing the oil more frequently doesn't compensate for the weaker additive package found in most 5w30 oils for gas engines.

Protecting your engine is more important than trying to eke out an extra 2-3% better fuel economy.

Thanks for the replies guys.

However, I disagree with 5w30 spec not being suitable for diesel engines. Because if there is a 5w30 grade oil made specifically for diesel engines that are turbocharged, then surely this is ok?

I thought that heavier oils are take longer to circualte around the engine, and so thinner oils lke 5w30 may circulate more effectively to cool and protect the engines.

It would be nice to see what other mk2 ibiza TDI owners use and swear by!

Best Regards

Rocky

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Its backwards compatable, so I should think so. However its a higher spec than you need, so it would work out cheaper getting an alternative. Search pd oil on ebay and there are lots you need 505 01, which is for a 1.9pd. However some say if you chip to over 150bhp you should use a higher spec oil:shrug:

can anybody confirm if this is true?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Rocky, TornadoRed lives in the USA, and the line in question in his post starts with "In the US.." We have a far greater range of suitable oils than there is available in the States (due to diesel being much less popular over there).

A 5w 40 oil will flow at the same speed as a 5w 30 oil in a cold engine, but in a hot engine a 5w 30 may be too thin. Depends on the condition of the engine (wear and tear) and the manufacturing tolerances that it was originally built to.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
This is my take on things for use in the UK.

Our winters don't get cold enough to warrant the need for a 0w or even a 5w.

a 0w requires a certain viscosity for cranking/pumpability @ -35 degrees C.

a 5w requires a certain viscosity for cranking/pumpability @ -30 degrees C.

a 10w requires a certain viscosity for cranking/pumpability @ -25 degrees C.

a 15w requires a certain viscosity for cranking/pumpability @ -20 degrees C.

a 20w requires a certain viscosity for cranking/pumpability @ -15 degrees C.

a 25w requires a certain viscosity for cranking/pumpability @ -10 degrees C.

We very rarely see 20w or 25w grades nowadays......

Then theres the summer part of it, a thiner oil is good for newer engines with no wear and for the requirements for emmissions and economy.

Thicker oils are needed for engines with a bigger ring clearence (slight wear) and engines that have a higher output (thicker oil creates a more robust oil film), thus protecting the metal to metal contact more at higher operating temps.

My old 2002 Focus was supposed to run on a 5w/30 Zetec spec oil but I found the oil consumption was completely ridiculas! Moving to a 5w40 or 10w/40 suited the engine much better without noticing any fuel economy reductions.

I would rather have more protection at top end temps but thats just my preference.

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
This is my take on things for use in the UK.

Our winters don't get cold enough to warrant the need for a 0w or even a 5w....
There is more to it than that... but the bottom line is that any engine that might have several cold starts each day would definitely need a 0wXX or 5wXX oil. On the other hand, if somebody has an engine that is started in the morning and runs continuously for 8-12 hours, it would probably do okay with a 15w40.

My old 2002 Focus was supposed to run on a 5w/30 Zetec spec oil but I found the oil consumption was completely ridiculas! Moving to a 5w40 or 10w/40 suited the engine much better without noticing any fuel economy reductions..
Ford recommends a 0w20 or 5w20 oil for that exact same engine in the US... primarily because it very slightly reduces fuel consumption. As a result, every Focus it sells lets it sell one more larger V-6 or V-8 and still maintain a legal Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) number. Ford does not care if a 5w30 would make the engine in the Focus last longer. But knowledgeable owners are aware that the same engine gets the 5w30 oil in Europe. Your post is the first I've heard of someone using a 5w40 -- people here would warn against the engine being destroyed if you used such a thick oil, which is nonsense of course.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise