Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Well I am waiting for nickbarnes to get back to me but he thinks the brackets look the good.

However can you believe they sent me two right hand calipers. I didnt notice it at first until olaf rang me and i paid attention to them. Olaf has two left calipers and I have two right calipers.

The problem lies is that when looking at the part numbers three of our calipers have similar part codes and we figured out which ones are the right and left. One of Olafs left calipers as has a different part number. As you can imagine Olaf and I are in a position...who gets the odd caliper and runs the risk it not being right.

On top of that Olaf has completely difference brackets...

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Maybe that's why they were cheap ... they shouldn't be different carriers although i would get together with Olaf and see if you can get the carriers dry mounted then see if the calipers can be swapped around ....

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The actual kit itself is very high quality. ATE are quite big in germany and renound for good products...

Thats what we are going to have to do mate. Hopefully i can get all the right part numbers on Monday.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Evening boyos!

Indeed it is a confusing muddle of what is right, what is not right, and which parts are missing!

Sure we can get it sorted though Maz.

At the end of the day if some more carriers need to be purchased it isn't the end of the world, given the saving made on the kit.

It is however shoddy to send out a box of bits that are a mish mash, incorrect parts and no instructions! Especially as they even posted up a list of parts included in the kit on the ebay ad and half of those are missing!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The brackets don't worry me as much, like you said they can be bought easily I believe. Its the caliper that is of a concern. Assuming we have 3 good ones that's and we need one to get the right one, plus pads...thats £375+ gone down the pan.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Yeh I agree.

It's, fingers crossed, more confusing than it actually is. Once we know for definite if that last 3 digits makes a difference then we will know where to go.

I can't see why they would have a caliper that doesn't match unless they have cocked up one of the earlier kits they sent out. And that contained 'odd' calipers.

I've asked Nick for a copy of his instructions as I believe he was lucky enough to be sent a copy.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Yes I already thought about this but my theory is that the kit has been tampered with, that I am almost certain of. Unless ATE are very nice people i think few companies would do that. I will try it of course!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Well if they indeed had 12 kits in total. I reckon there were problems with some of the kits and they took parts out of other kits to satisfy customers. I mean this is how stupid they are they gave me two right calipers and olaf two lefts...Olaf has a BMW manual but his ATE box says VW/Seat Leon on the box. He has completely different brackets to me so for sure they been tampered with.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Get a question to the seller ASAP and if they don't settle it within 10 days, log a problem on paypal and get your money back. Don't let them fob you off whatever you do!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
No point getting my money back as I would have to return the parts.

The discs alone cost the whole amount of the kit.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Paypal doesn't enforce the return of goods, they just deal with the money side. I'm not saying you should rip the seller off, but if he/she won't help then they are ripping you off, so it might be a last resort. I imagine any problem could be resolved in 10 days if they really wanted to help you out.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Update 2: ATE

Met up with Slick and Olaf tonight to have a look at both brakes kits to make sense of it all.

Good news and bad news really. The good news is that all the calipers are fine and so are the discs and hoses. Bad news is that Olafs brackets are for BMWs so Olaf and I will fight for them to get changed over for the correct brackets.

All go for me on March 7th! Big Brakes here I come :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members