Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Met up with Slick and Olaf tonight to have a look at both brakes kits to make sense of it all.

Good news and bad news really. The good news is that all the calipers are fine and so are the discs and hoses. Bad news is that Olafs brackets are for BMWs so Olaf and I will fight for them to get changed over for the correct brackets.

All go for me on March 7th! Big Brakes here I come :D

Did you get confused because the calipers look identical and can't easily be distinguished left from right? :) I bet if you wanted you could get a machine shop to do a copy of your brackets ..... ?

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
I nearly left with the two calipers Maz turned up with. That would have been hilarious haha.

What is not so funny was my highly inadequate wheel clearance, you and your bloody ruler Rodger!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
:lol: I am going to steal it that ruler, I will do it Rodger. You know I will!

That would have NOT been funny Ollie, I would have driven to your house that night if we did. As for the wheels, well you have options like we discussed.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
I think wheels are probably down to a choice of two already.

And no Pat, sadly I need about a 40mm spacer haha. Maybe if i bolt four 10mms together it'll be ok? :blink:

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
40mm!!!!! How come it's so far out?

Kei Force 10 are NOT built to accomadate big brakes, all show no go as the saying goes...
The clearance is pettiful on the standard floating calipers, so putting a 2 piece 4 pot caliper instead, well you need 40mm clearance in the design!

Maz i think may even get away with NO SPACERS as its very close to the depth it needs, only fitting will tell, and only have to wait a week and abit to find that out! ;)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Pain in the ass eh - you might like this pic then

goodpic3.jpg

Porche 993 Turbo front brakes - if they clear on those wheels i reckon Maz should be ok too!

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Pain in the ass eh - you might like this pic then

goodpic3.jpg

Porche 993 Turbo front brakes - if they clear on those wheels i reckon Maz should be ok too!

Yes mate, but those brakes are on a bell and rotor with a 993 caliper, the ATE caliper is more like a 996 caliper sizing. Not that it matters, Maz is fine, the clearance is similiar to my wheels. Plus the rotor of the ATE kit is different to that in the photo that looks to be a 993 Turbo disc.

Ollie isnt so lucky.

By the way on your wheels and brakes, that pictures shows a bell and rotor design, you dont have the same kit, you have a 312mm with porsche caliper, i still think you need to test the wheel on your car first and not rely on a glf picture on the net... I made that mistake and it cost me dearly! :blink:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Even with a bell and rotor it's the carrier that dictates how far out the caliper sits - disc clearance is not the issue. I'm not buying new though - i'm buying 2nd hand and if it doesn't fit then i can still sell for pretty much what i paid :)

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Even with a bell and rotor it's the carrier that dictates how far out the caliper sits - disc clearance is not the issue. I'm not buying new though - i'm buying 2nd hand and if it doesn't fit then i can still sell for pretty much what i paid :)

Yeah the caliper dictates where the discs sits and vice versa, your caliper sits over the OE postion of the 312mm disc, in the 993 turbo conversion the disc is on a hat and positions the caliper further back by up to 8mm in some cases to allow OE alloys fitment. Tha 993 rotor is on a hat, so guessing that its being thrown back 6mm or so.. yours doesnt, so just be aware Pat.

I'm not preaching, but if anything i learnt from custom made brakes is that, and also the fact i work on CAD, i have designed the hat and rotor systems in 3-d and found alot of information into it!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Yeah the caliper dictates where the discs sits and vice versa, your caliper sits over the OE postion of the 312mm disc, in the 993 turbo conversion the disc is on a hat and positions the caliper further back by up to 8mm in some cases to allow OE alloys fitment. Tha 993 rotor is on a hat, so guessing that its being thrown back 6mm or so.. yours doesnt, so just be aware Pat.

I'm not preaching, but if anything i learnt from custom made brakes is that, and also the fact i work on CAD, i have designed the hat and rotor systems in 3-d and found alot of information into it!

I guess that's the good thing with buying second hand - if things do go wrong you can always move stuff on for what you paid for it. I've also seen that LCR owners abroad use those wheels as winter rims, (usually S3 but they're the same as Mk1 TT anyway ) because they're the only ones that clear LCR Brembos - i'm working on the basis that my Boxster ones will require the same clearance. 6mm was about what it was out by :)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Ok after a bit of digging i found this. From what I understand that means mine SHOULD fit without the need for spacers. Maz / SLick / Olaf - the links on here might be of interest to you too.

http://www.bira.org/info_main.html

System 1 for the TT and Mk 4 Volkswagen

Uses Porsche Boxster 4-piston monobloc caliper over the 2000 Audi TT 312x25mm rotor. Fits Audi TT, Mk 4 Volkswagens with the 5x100 bolt pattern, and any other car that can accept Audi TT brakes bolt-on. Fits under the factory TT wheels.

http://www.bira.org/info_main.html

System 1 ONLY

Tested and Acceptable:

* Any wheels that fit over BIRA System 2 brakes (see below)
* A8 17" five spoke wheels. More information forthcoming.
* Audi/VW Tango wheels, 16x7 ET45. "...fits fine, but the stick-on wheel weights MUST be mounted to the far inside of the wheel."
* 1995 S6 Avus style stock 16" wheels
* 1993 S4 stock wheels, 8Jx16H2 ET40. Labeled 4A0 601 025E
* V8Q stock forged BBS wheels, 8Jx16H2 ET35. Labeled 441 602 025K, BBS RG043
* 2000 Audi TT factory 17" wheel (5x100 bolt pattern over the TT rotor)
* 2000 Audi A6 2.7T, 16x7 ET45, no spacers required (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/622199.phtml)
* 2001 Audi Allroad "twin spoke" 17" (7mm clearance)
* ASA JS5, 17x7.5, ET35
* ATP S5, 16x7" ET 35
* Avant Garde Design SL, 17x8, ET 32. Labeled BBS 05 44 020
* BBS RK, 17x8" ET35. "Tons of clearance."
* Borbet Type B, 16x7.5, 35 mm offset
* Borbet Type C, 17x8.5 ET30. Nice fit, plenty of clearance.
* Borbet Type E, 17x8 ET 35 size. Fits fine, with about 3mm clearance.
* Borbet Type M, 17Jx8H2, ET 35, labeled H80735.
* Borbet Type S, 17x7.5, ET 35 (2.5mm clearance)
* Borbet Type T, 16x7.5 ET 35
* Ergon Multispoke 16x7.5, 35mm offset
* Moda Sport by BBS 16x7.5, 35mm offset (labeled "7-1/2J-16H2 ET 35"). Close on the face, but no fit problems.
* Ronal LV, 17" (installed on a 1995 S6)
* Ronal LV, 16x7.5" ET 35. 5mm clearance to rim, 3mm clearance to back side of spokes.
* Ronal R28, 16x7.5 ("S4 fitment" only!)
* Ronal R28 17x8.5
* Ronal R-38, 17x8 ("nearly and inch of clearance in all directions!")

In general, any 16" ET35 wheel should fit, and in general any 16" ET45 wheel will not.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Good find Pat.

Well hopefully I should have any problem fitting mine. The discs though are bigger than the Brembo discs...323x28 (brembo disc) vs 326x30 (ATE discs) but as it is a 2 piece rotor it gets thrown back by 6mm.

I will find out come Friday! :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members