Archie's Onvi Yellow Ibiza Cupra

Archie

Hi all, new-ish to the forum.

Picked this up last month, had a lot of cars over the years but always had a notion for one of these.

When i got it it was needing bushes replaced, front discs and pads and a good cleanup.

Bought it with the following mods -

Bilstein Shocks/Apex Springs.
Forge Recirc, Random Cone Filter (Now changed, Was all rusty)
Milltek Catback.
Boost Guage, Mounted in the worst place ever.
Remapped as far as i know, Peaks 20psi, Holds 18psi.

Since i got it -

Timing Belt, Water Pump, Auxiliry Belt.
Powerflex Rear Axle & Front Wishbone Bushes.
New Bosch MAF, New Cone Filter.
New Genuine CTS.
Forge SAI Blank.
N249 Delete.
Fitted Alpine Headunit, Subs & Amp.
MTEC Headlight Bulbs.
LED Side & No Plate Bulbs.
New No. Plates.
New Coolant Bottle.

On the to-do list.
N112 Delete - Need to order resistors.
PCV Delete.
3" Downpipe & New Custom Exhaust.
SFS Hosing.
Fit my FMIC - Going for hardpipe in BAM style layout.
Hybrid KO3S - Waiting on my mate taking it off his car.
New oil pickup pipe & turbo return pipes, awaiting to fit.

Fix my windows (Anyone selling NS & OS window regulators mail me !)

Archie

Spent today cleaning it.

APE Snowfoam, Engine Bay Degrease.
Autoglym Paint Renovator, Then Super Resin Polish.
And Finally A Coat Of HD Wax.

And my FMIC -

Last edited by a moderator:

Archie

If you need a BAM inlet mani to pipe up the cooler, I'm your man. And just up the road ;-)

Was planning on getting the pipework made up at Elite Custom Exhausts.

Just to move the pipe from across the cam cover around the bulkhead and down the timing side.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Looks good Archie. Always liked the Mk 3s but I've never owned one. Very close to buying one once in my student days but got swayed by picking a cheap Saxo VTS (I know but too good a price to turn down).

Hope you enjoy it. I'll follow your progress. By the way, on the N112 resistor front, I got mine from Bill at Badger 5 for £20 - a very nice little unit :)

Archie

Thanks for that information mate :)

Haha i've had a couple of VTS' years ago, very good at the time.

Apr 13, 2011
hull
I have always wanted a mk3 ibiza Cupra I think they look the best out of all the Cupra range just Unforantlly there getting quite old now I wish I had the money to have one as a Sunday car.

I have got to say I love the color also is the best looking and fastest lmao keep up the good work

Archie

Havent soldered them in at all.

Just a temporary measure until payday.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
I'd of got the badger5 resistors. Soldering in resistor can causing fueling/lambda problems. Tucker is having that problem ATM iirc

The best way is to leave the solinoids plugged in and just re route them to the scuttle panel, I'm having a huge problem, the only way to drive it is with the first lambda unplugged.

I would not recommend resistors at all!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Archie

Dont know what you can have done wrong to be honest?

As said i havent soldered the resistors in, Just slid them into each point on the mulitplug, Will be buyin the badger units in a fortnight anyway.

Cars running and boosting perfectly fine, I've had it on the diagnostic and gas analyzer at my old work who are kind enough to let me use the workshop from time to time and everything is within tolerance and i'm getting no faults.

L14M H

Dec 7, 2013
Looks great after that clean up. Sounds like a good one too with those mods.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Dont know what you can have done wrong to be honest?

As said i havent soldered the resistors in, Just slid them into each point on the mulitplug, Will be buyin the badger units in a fortnight anyway.

Cars running and boosting perfectly fine, I've had it on the diagnostic and gas analyzer at my old work who are kind enough to let me use the workshop from time to time and everything is within tolerance and i'm getting no faults.

You've miss understood. Do not use resistors! Only re route the now unrequired solenoid units out of the heat of the exhaust.

My loom was resistored by a previous owner, and has been for 6 or 7 years, however I still wish I had removed them when I bought it!

The symptoms are the ecu sets full fuel trim causing rich misfires. Meaning totally undriveable after about ten mins from resetting the fault codes! And gets odd voltage reading from the lambda control.

The source, that has been whittled to by many an hour of intelligent research, seems to be resistored things deleted out the loom. Which fail over time and cause spikes to the ecu that damage it! ( or at least the lambda control part)

Now it is badger 5 that has found this problem in a few Ibiza's that have resistored things, (and iirc he advises against fitting resistors, but supplies them due to large demand) and mine unfortunately joined the club a few months back! He had an ibiza in that they had changed its ecu and re fitted the solenoids to try and fix it,but alas the problem returned, indicating that something somewhere in the wiring is causing this, or that something was permanently damaged by this and they stopped trying to fix it as It would Cost a fortune for the diag to find the problem and fix it!

So far I have found no one who has managed to fix this problem, and most have just broken the car for parts.

I,on the other hand, remain (possibly stupidly) optimistic that I can re wire the whole car and erase this issue. Cheap it will not be!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.