Check this if you have oily deposits on the underside of your Intake manifold!!!

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Just a quick heads up and mega thanks to our very own DPJ for diagnosing this purely from looking at VAG-COM logs.

A 2 inch split on the right hand side centre breather hose on the bottom of the intake manifold. Christ knows how much power this was robbing from me. Down to the stealers tomorrow for a replacement.

Its a bu**er to get to, you have to remove the maze of small N249 and N112 vac hoses on the metal plate in front of the dipstick. Well worth checking though.

Photos, excuse the "work gloves" ;) :

DSCF2353.jpg

DSCF2354.jpg

DSCF2356.jpg

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
£30 for the breather hose :blink: but Lookers VW in Darlington gave me a whole 10% off :rolleyes:

I've already bypassed the N249 so I'm just remounting it with the associated small hoses. I've checked them all and they're not leaking so all should be well there. I'm not sure about the effects on the SAI valve if I were to block them all off??? I don't want it opening of its own accord. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I'm leaving the multiplugs connected rather than resistoring. I don't see much point in removing them completely as they're tucked away under the metal panel in front of the intake manifold so the top of the cam cover is still tidy on the AUQ.

Thanks for the offer of the hose Dave, much appreciated but I've got more vac hose than I know what to do with at the moment. I've got some 6mm stuff arriving today to do the EVAP canister etc with. More bling than anything else as those hoses are in good condition. I'll redo the logs and get them to you for a looksee. :D Thanks again for imparting your knowledge.

Lee M

Hi Ross,

Where abouts in the engine bay is that hose? I'm suffering from boost problems and wondered if it could be the same thing?

Cheers

Lee

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
hi ross,

where abouts in the engine bay is that hose? I'm suffering from boost problems and wondered if it could be the same thing?

Cheers

lee

just a quick heads up and mega thanks to our very own dpj for diagnosing this purely from looking at vag-com logs.

A 2 inch split on the right hand side centre breather hose on the bottom of the intake manifold. Christ knows how much power this was robbing from me. Down to the stealers tomorrow for a replacement.

Its a bu**er to get to, you have to remove the maze of small n249 and n112 vac hoses on the metal plate in front of the dipstick. Well worth checking though.

:) .

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi Ross,

Where abouts in the engine bay is that hose? I'm suffering from boost problems and wondered if it could be the same thing?

Cheers

Lee

As per LEE69s reply mate, on the underside of the intake manifold, its the right hand hose of the two in the middle as you look at it from the front of the car. There's a rubber bandage that holds both of them loosely together.

It was actually £13, parts guy quoted on the wrong part and they didn't have it in stock so I had to drive to middlesbrough in my runabout Golf Mk3 to get it.

Lee M

As per LEE69s reply mate, on the underside of the intake manifold, its the right hand hose of the two in the middle as you look at it from the front of the car. There's a rubber bandage that holds both of them loosely together.

It was actually £13, parts guy quoted on the wrong part and they didn't have it in stock so I had to drive to middlesbrough in my runabout Golf Mk3 to get it.

Cheers mate, ill check it out :)

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Job done today, unbelievable difference in throttle response and the car seems a good bit more powerful too :D

I'm replacing the MAF tomorrow as I think its under-reading by around 10%, that should get performance back to where it should be.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I replaced my MAF today and im amazed the car is so much better now:D, alot smoother and doesn't rough idle anymore. it cost £78 quid from dealer and you got to give them your old one in the housing or pay an extra 20 quid!!!???
im going to check the breather hoses you mention too over the easter break just for peace of mind:D

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I replaced my MAF today and im amazed the car is so much better now:D, alot smoother and doesn't rough idle anymore. it cost £78 quid from dealer and you got to give them your old one in the housing or pay an extra 20 quid!!!???
im going to check the breather hoses you mention too over the easter break just for peace of mind:D

Snap!!! :D Got a new Bosch MAF from Euro car parts today. £68 and you give them the old unit. Idle is smoother, low throttle openings smoother, car is much quicker and its reading 186g/s over the MAF as opposed to 170 on the old one.

I have my power back now :cloud9:

Remember that your LCR intake manifold is different and IIRC it only has one breather port on the bottom instead of 2 on the LC.

Lee M

Remember that your LCR intake manifold is different and IIRC it only has one breather port on the bottom instead of 2 on the LC.

Ross
Is that why i'm having trouble finding this pipe?

zacg90

Hi all,
Sorry if this is answered somewhere else.
I have an 03 Ibiza 130PD, and the boost hosing from the intercooler to the inlet has come off the intercooler. Found it to be a circular clip that has snapped which goes round the outside of the connector holding the pipe into the intercooler connection. Just woundering if i should just go to the dealership to get a new one or there is somewhere better i can pick one up from!
Cheers