Contemplating trading in for a Civic..

FRantic

Hi,

My Dad was looking for a new motor and after a long day of test drives he signed on the line for a 2010 Honda Civic Type-R that had done 10k miles.
The second I got in the car I loved it. The interior just felt so much better than my FR, the seats were a lot more hugging and it just felt a lot more special.

The performance seemed nice, I understand it's high revving etc etc but I don't see that as a problem, It's nice to have a car that you think about driving rather than stamp on the pedal and sit back (I think anyway)

I remember that I was at the lights with one a few weeks back and I pretty easily took off from him but for all I know he wasn't trying.

I see the FR has a lot more torque but I'm just wondering if there are any Type-R owners / ex-owners here who can put me straight -

Will I regret swapping my FR for a Type-R ?

(Please only comment if you have something constructive to say)

veralynn

I'm going the other way, I'm swapping the type r for a Leon k1.
The type r is quick once u get it up to 6.5k revs but it's not comfortable in my eyes.
Cos of it's low torque if u get 4 people in and a full boot then it struggles.
I drove the seat and compared to the Honda I loved the drive. More refined.
The Honda just felt as though u have to rag the arse end off it to have fun.
Ian.

FRantic

Sorry, Petrol FR.

I was concerned about the torque issue but I rarely have 4 people in the car. I'd be going for a 2 seater if I didn't need the boot space to chuck my bike in.

The Cupra is an option I guess.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
id get a cupra over JAP CR@P.

as mentioned above you have to rag the hell out of them to get going which isnt a bad thing if thats your driving style for day to day driving the turbo is so much better

tuning wise a remap gets 300bhp which will blow the civic out the water not to sure what the tuning options are on a civic though.

personally if i change my car again (and ive had my car 4 months and thinking about it already) i might get a Boxster or a Jag XKR.

but i use my car at weekends only so dont worry about mileage

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Agreed with Smee

Theres also a reason why the Cupra is more expensive to buy than a Type R :cartman:

Just done a quick search on google a Stage 2 supercharge kit will cost you £3400 and will get you 345bhp, A Stage 2 kit for Cupra wont cost that much and will get you about 360-380bhp

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
have civic dropped in price?

the same age Cupra and civic type R cost the same in April with same mileage

my mate bought one at the same time as i got mine.

i do like the look of the civic but the leon is a much better car :)

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
My best mates got the Type R and has spent well over 2 grand on engine mods but even with this upto road legal limits it only just keeps up with my standard cupra.
Ride wise they are has harsh as a pre facelift FR.
They are a good car but not has much fun because of how hard you have to drive it to get the best out of it.

jaf2212

Apr 27, 2011
Chesham, Bucks
Having had a superchanged honda in the past, yes they are great fun to drive but you really do have to work the engine hard and keep the revs high for the power. You'll regret getting the civic after a while

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Problem is, looking at the Seat used car locator the cheapest Cupra on the books is £15k. I can get a Type-R 2008 same mileage for £11k..

You're looking in the wrong places mate. A 2008 plate Cupra with 20k on the clock can be had for £11k. Add £500 for a Stage One remap you can have 290-300bhp and similar torque which will ream a civic.

The seats, iirc, are better in a Cupra and if you can find a facelift model you'll benefit from a much nicer interior.

GLYN SOLEY

Jun 22, 2009
Letchworth herts
Few years back i had a mk1 cupra and my girlfriend had a 52reg type R . I alwys found my self reving the nuts off of her honda as she always insisted driving my cupra saying i quote "Much faster down the bypass darling ". Imagine the mk2 cupra would go even fast down that bypass! Lol:think:

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
as said you can pickup a standard cupra for about 11-12k now, for 14k you can pickup a k1 if you like the bodykit but for 15k you get the facelift cupra which is not as nice to look at as the pre facelift imo

the cupra is supposed to be a better ride and less harsh than the fr, i can't comment from experience on that mind you. but as said chuck far less money at a cupra than a type r and it will beat it even easier

i find the cupra seats fantastic myself, not sure if the type r interior is better than say the lesser models. as my housemate has a diesel interior and while it may look a bit nicer, the materials used feel cheap in his so i hope its better than the lesser models. oh and rear visibility is shocking in the civic period

Nov 28, 2006
If you take the subjective stuff out of the equation (like looks, modding etc.) it's a fairly cut and dried case for the Honda.

Taken from the 2011 JD Power Car Survey (1st place given for reference):

Lexus IS = 1st
Civic = 14th
Leon = 46th

Lexus = 1st
Honda = 2nd
SEAT = 21st

Obviously the cars results are not about the Type R or FR in particular but across the whole range. My parents have had Honda's for the last 25 years and they have never broken down or needed any major work. Some of them have gone on to over 130k miles.

Would I buy a Honda? Nope. Well, I would but it would have to be an S2000. I think most of us with hot hatches or sports cars buy more with the heart than the head. A lot of us see a failed part as a chance to upgrade it.

The point I'm making is that only you can really decide. We've all got an opinion we're not afraid to voice it but if you prefer the Type R then go for it.

AND my opinion (cos I can't resist) is that you might grow bored of the Type R. Over the years I have test driven many different Type R models and never managed to sign on the dotted line. At least with a turbo car you have options for getting a bit more power (or a lot if you prefer) when you get used to what you already have.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
I did a back to back test drive before buying the K1. The Cupra beats the Type R hands down on performance, ride quality, handling, mpg and day to day ownership.

The type R wins on interior and looks.

I would of bought the type r if it went and stopped like the Cupra.

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
Will I regret swapping my FR for a Type-R ?

(Please only comment if you have something constructive to say)

Another question, what year is your current FR?

As if it's a PRE-facelift car, it obviously will be 2, 3 or 4 years OLDER than a 1 year old Honda Civic Type-R, hence perhaps a more refined ride in the Honda.

Another factor I guess, discussed here, SEAT are the "cheaper brother" to VW, then to Audi. So again, you might find a top of the range, performance Honda to be 'superior' in comparison.

Note this is my perspective, an owner of a 2007 Leon TDi FR. Perhaps a FACELIFT 2010 Leon Cupra will be just as (or even better?) equipped than the Type-R of the same year?

(having not yet driven or sat in a facelift performane Leon (FR / Cupra / K1), I wouldnt be able to tell the differences unfortunately).
Just to look at though, exterior styling, I'd still prefer a 2010 Cupra over a 2010 Type-R. :cheeky:

Last edited: