Cat removal?

FabiaTDi

VT5 :D
Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone here removed the cat from their TDi?

Is it worthwhile just removing/replacing the cat or is it better to replace the whole system?

How restrictive is the cat and what sort of gains can you expect?

Lots of questions I know! :eek:

Merry Christmas all!
xmas.gif

DP1

16 Valver
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Maybe a sports cat would be the best replacement?
You get some back pressure, keep it legal and gain power.

DP1

16 Valver
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Well at the time Ians TDi had 150 Bhp and could keep up with Simon on the 0 - 60 sprint. I took the pictures myself to prove it. Just ask Ian. :devil:

FabiaTDi

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by driveforward
Yes he did, results are confidential... see my earlier post ;) :(

So not as good as the results in his sig then? :(

Personally I was just thinking of a decat (probably from Powerflow) rather than a whole new exhaust. This should help free up the back box a little as I have heard the cat can be restrictive.

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Originally posted by FabiaTDi
So not as good as the results in his sig then? :(

Personally I was just thinking of a decat (probably from Powerflow) rather than a whole new exhaust. This should help free up the back box a little as I have heard the cat can be restrictive.
Just speak to Ross and get your name put down for a Milltek :p

DP1

16 Valver
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by m0rk
the point being - is back pressure a good thing or a bad thing?

I was under the impression that some back pressure is needed. After having a de-cat exhaust and free flow back box Rage's BHP went down.

Its like a trade off, which would you rather do? De-cat it and have a faster turbo spool up time. As theres very little back pressure.
Or get a sports cat and exhaust system? so you have lowered back pressure and gain BHP.

FabiaTDi

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
So how does a sports cat differ from a standard cat? Does this retain some back pressure?

So if some back pressure is required on a diesel - anyone know why?

Thanks for all the great responses! :cheers:

DP1

16 Valver
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
A catalyst has as such 'elements'. On a sports cat there are more of them and there larger. This allows higher rates of air flow.
As actually proven by Simon, the power went down when he eliminated back pressure. :confused: :redface:

Shock_Xe

my race cat is 100 cell i think where as normal cats are 400-500

DP1

16 Valver
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, I'm confused over which has more cells.
Last nights pop is finally wearing off now.

Regular cat on the left, with many small cells. Sports on the right with less, but bigger cells. Borrowed from Milltek.

cat_compare.jpg

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Im not 100% sure if a Sports CAT would be applicable for a diesel.

Petrol CAT's are a three way convertor whereas a diesel one is two way. Their chemical make up is different.

Personally i'd just de-cat it. We do this on our PD's alot. Milltek make a large bore downpipe without a CAT and we fit that to a larger bore system with twin round tail pipes. We add a rear valance from a four motion Golf which has the cut out for the silencer so it looks smart. (for the 130 and 150 PD Golf).

Power is usually up a few bhp on a normal remap on the PD and turbo seems to spin up faster.