300 4Drive Transmission Knock - Surely Not

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
So a question for any 300 4 drive owners.

When setting off in drive from a standstill do you hear a knock sound or tap that comes from the rear area literally seconds after pulling away. Its not loud or particularly mechanical in nature but it sounds like a plastic bottle rolling over and hitting a bulkhead. Because it open happens when i have pulled up to a stop and then setting off again.

I have checked thats its not a bottle or something loose!

Any ideas? Could it be the auto brake? Perhaps the drive shaft to the rear axel engaging ready to go if required?

Weird.

veno

Feb 9, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.bulforum.com
I have this on my Leon Xperience 4Drive - didn't bother yet to ask the dealer if it is normal. I also think it is related to the auto brake, because I could not hear it when moving, only when pulling from stand still, it is also possible to be related to the 4drive as you said.... I will be glad if anybody give a proper answer...

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I have this on my Leon Xperience 4Drive - didn't bother yet to ask the dealer if it is normal. I also think it is related to the auto brake, because I could not hear it when moving, only when pulling from stand still, it is also possible to be related to the 4drive as you said.... I will be glad if anybody give a proper answer...

frankly im glad its not just me and that others can hear it - my wife thinks im mental.

I will test without engaging the brake and see what happens.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Can’t say I’ve ever noticed anything but will keep an ear out and let you know if I hear anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Got this on my FWD DSG with motorsport limiter installed, sounds like its the rear wheels catching up with the front haha.

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
So a question for any 300 4 drive owners.

When setting off in drive from a standstill do you hear a knock sound or tap that comes from the rear area literally seconds after pulling away. Its not loud or particularly mechanical in nature but it sounds like a plastic bottle rolling over and hitting a bulkhead. Because it open happens when i have pulled up to a stop and then setting off again.

I have checked thats its not a bottle or something loose!

Any ideas? Could it be the auto brake? Perhaps the drive shaft to the rear axel engaging ready to go if required?

Weird.

I have 2017 FR184 DSG and have the same problem. I’m currently on 22500km and 7 months into ownership, it started making that strange noise like a month ago or so. Already been to the delaer who said they can’t figure it out.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Still making the noise, i have double checked the spare wheel and that is not th cause. The knock can be loud but the intensity seems to vary. very weird.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Might seem daft but it could be the fuel tank and the fuel in it.
Had a noise from the back when I first bought her, I always fill up every week and get this noise when stopping or starting but then worked it out that it was deffo the fuel sloshing about when it's a full tank.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Might seem daft but it could be the fuel tank and the fuel in it.
Had a noise from the back when I first bought her, I always fill up every week and get this noise when stopping or starting but then worked it out that it was deffo the fuel sloshing about when it's a full tank.

Thats another noise i have heard too but this transmission knock is a more mechanical sound. Seems to happen when the auto brake has engaged and then you drive away - typically 1 second from the pull away it 'knocks'

veno

Feb 9, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.bulforum.com
Thats another noise i have heard too but this transmission knock is a more mechanical sound. Seems to happen when the auto brake has engaged and then you drive away - typically 1 second from the pull away it 'knocks'

Check the rear bumper, I found a lot of stones in it recently! On my Leon XP the left part over the exhaust, looks like there is a gap allowing a lot of mud to enter. Just give it a kick. Since I removed a lot of stones, I am not sure if I can here the noise anymore, though I am still listening...

Edit: I still continue to hear sometimes the transmission nocking... obviously it is not related to the stones in the rear bumper.... I doubt if could this be related to the more vibration in the exhaust when on low revs, causing the noise to come from the exhaust system ?

Last edited:

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Interestingly, i only noticed this knock when the automatic door locking was disabled.

Having now turned on the auto door locking, the locks seem to engage at the same time as the knock so i assume that the knock was the locking of the boot door (even though auto locking was turned off)