Need your help with headlights and handling.

Drdoddles

Mar 13, 2024
Cornwall
Right, new owner of a 2016 Leon FR184 ST and so far quite impressed, but as with all things, not yet perfect!

Have already made a mod to enable AndroidAuto (thanks to Tell for pointing me in the right direction), and have OBD11, so I don't mind fiddling.

Three things I do want to address though: 1. Lights - I live in Cornwall and often drive on dark country twisties and find the lights inadequate as they are. 2. Front traction - Maybe it's just the tyres and 280ft/lbs of torque, but 1st-2nd gear traction isn't great! 3. Steering - It feels a little vague at times.

Are these common issues?
The lights seem to be from the mutterings I've read so far. I can't seem to activate Full Beam Assist, but will keep trying. My previous car (Ford) they would come on above 28mph, which worked ok for the slower back roads around here. Is it possible to change the speed setting that the full beams come on at in OBD11 to reduce it from 100kph to 45kph?
Can the height of the dipped beam be raised slightly in OBD11 settings too, as it really isn't great?

I have yet to jack the car up and get the wheels off to give it a good checking over suspension wise, so there could be some loose bushes/tie-rod ends not helping with traction and steering. Also the rear is sitting a little low, so I question whether the springs are stock, might be shifting too much weight rear-ward?
I've heard that a front strut tower brace can help with steering feel, but is there anything else obvious that I have yet to find? Common issues that might need maintenance rather than modification?! Or common solutions a newby to the MQB chassis doesn't yet know about? 😘

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I'm going to get shouted at here - but the halogen lights in my 2019 facelift Leon, with the standard bulbs upgraded to Philips X-Treme Vision Pro 150, are far superior to the standard LED headlights that were on my 2014 pre-facelift. Yes they are a bit more yellow, but the spread of light, especially long range, is far better.

I did try some (quite expensive) LED bulbs before the uprated Philips halogens went in, had them properly coded and everything so there were no errors, but they were atrocious. They were nice and white, yes, but very little pattern and light throw, especially high beam which was basically non-existent over dipped beam. They were removed within 24 hours and one early morning commute in the dark!

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
My 2018 Leon FR Technology has the standard LED headlights that are supposed to be an improvement over the pre-facelift LED headlights. I'm disappointed in them, particular the dip beam.

My previous car, a 2012 Octavia vRS had uprated bulbs in its headlights with the dip beams being in projector type housings. Definitely better than the Leon.

My wife's 2019 Fabia SEL has bulbed headlamps & the dip certainly equals that of my Leon.

Drdoddles

Mar 13, 2024
Cornwall
Yeah, I have full LED headlights, and don't really want to go down the route of swapping 'em, but was wondering if anyone knows of any changes that can be made via OBDeleven or VCDS that might improve on what's there? Even changing the dipped beam angle slightly would improve things.

Steering and traction may be down to your type of tyres? And maybe the tyre pressures.
That is something I've been meaning to check, but... excuses! Know the tyres are Dunlop sport somethings, will check both properly tomorrow.
Have been thinking about a set of Michelin PS maybe? Tyres is one thing I don't mind spending a bit of money on.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Yeah, I have full LED headlights, and don't really want to go down the route of swapping 'em, but was wondering if anyone knows of any changes that can be made via OBDeleven or VCDS that might improve on what's there? Even changing the dipped beam angle slightly would improve things.
Have you been to an MOT tester and had the lights lifted as high as legally allowed ?

When I took mine in - the lights were set very low.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Have you been to an MOT tester and had the lights lifted as high as legally allowed ?

And I seem to recall that was a common complaint back in the day.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK

That is something I've been meaning to check, but... excuses! Know the tyres are Dunlop sport somethings, will check both properly tomorrow.
Have been thinking about a set of Michelin PS maybe? Tyres is one thing I don't mind spending a bit of money on.
When I bought my 2014 184 FR a few years ago the dipped beam was only about 5 metres in front of ther car. It was borderline dangerous. You can manually adjust the headlight position with an allen key, which is what I did with mine. Been fine ever since.

Drdoddles

Mar 13, 2024
Cornwall

Doh! :doh:

Yeah, stopped trying to over think it and got out the screwdriver. Lights are now set 1/2 turn higher, much better. Interestingly the set screws for height adjustment were very loose... might try and dob a bit of locktite in around the screw head or something, as when trying to find which screw was for height adjustment, I found out that others have had probs with their headlights gradually dropping over time. Will take it into MOT place round the corner this week to check heights properly.

Steering and traction may be down to your type of tyres? And maybe the tyre pressures.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 which had pressures all over the shop, one reading 29psi! Topped them all up to 41psi and feels tons better. Cant believe I didn't do this when I got the car last week. I blame having a cold making me not think straight! o_O

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Doh! :doh:

Yeah, stopped trying to over think it and got out the screwdriver. Lights are now set 1/2 turn higher, much better. Interestingly the set screws for height adjustment were very loose... might try and dob a bit of locktite in around the screw head or something, as when trying to find which screw was for height adjustment, I found out that others have had probs with their headlights gradually dropping over time. Will take it into MOT place round the corner this week to check heights properly.

When you do go to get them set - make sure lights are switched ON - not just on AUTO - and the engine must be running.

This way - the auto levelling will repeat what you set manually.

Also - make sure they point the setting machine at the correct part of the light.

For vehicles with LED headlights:

• Turn light switch - E1- to "dipped beam" position - not to "Auto" position.
  • Switch off ignition and on again so that the headlight is set at position 0.
  • Close all doors and the rear lid and keep them closed during the complete checking and adjusting procedure.
  • Headlight adjustment unit must be centrally aligned with uppermost LED lens -1-.
Maintenance

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Right, new owner of a 2016 Leon FR184 ST and so far quite impressed, but as with all things, not yet perfect!

Have already made a mod to enable AndroidAuto (thanks to Tell for pointing me in the right direction), and have OBD11, so I don't mind fiddling.

Three things I do want to address though: 1. Lights - I live in Cornwall and often drive on dark country twisties and find the lights inadequate as they are. 2. Front traction - Maybe it's just the tyres and 280ft/lbs of torque, but 1st-2nd gear traction isn't great! 3. Steering - It feels a little vague at times.

Are these common issues?
The lights seem to be from the mutterings I've read so far. I can't seem to activate Full Beam Assist, but will keep trying. My previous car (Ford) they would come on above 28mph, which worked ok for the slower back roads around here. Is it possible to change the speed setting that the full beams come on at in OBD11 to reduce it from 100kph to 45kph?
Can the height of the dipped beam be raised slightly in OBD11 settings too, as it really isn't great?

I have yet to jack the car up and get the wheels off to give it a good checking over suspension wise, so there could be some loose bushes/tie-rod ends not helping with traction and steering. Also the rear is sitting a little low, so I question whether the springs are stock, might be shifting too much weight rear-ward?
I've heard that a front strut tower brace can help with steering feel, but is there anything else obvious that I have yet to find? Common issues that might need maintenance rather than modification?! Or common solutions a newby to the MQB chassis doesn't yet know about? 😘
re: front traction - I don't find my 184 too bad in the dry. In the wet obviously need to be a little more careful. What tyres do you have? I have driven a 184 a few years back which seem much worse than mine pulling away - put it down to eco tyres.

re: steering - agree steering feel isn't amazing compared to older cars with hydraulic steering - putting mine in 'sport' for steering helped a little, makes it a little heavier.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
If you have a coding tool (obd11/vcds) and yours is a my16 you may be able to change the steering feel.

Hardness of the steering wheel
* Applicable up to MY16 *

With this modification you can set the hardness of the steering wheel in different values.

1 - Module 03 - Brake electronics - Code (40168/20103)
2 - Adaptation
3 - Assisted counter-steering wheel - (Change value to the desired one)
4 - Select one of the three options:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
If you have a coding tool (obd11/vcds) and yours is a my16 you may be able to change the steering feel.

Hardness of the steering wheel
* Applicable up to MY16 *

With this modification you can set the hardness of the steering wheel in different values.

1 - Module 03 - Brake electronics - Code (40168/20103)
2 - Adaptation
3 - Assisted counter-steering wheel - (Change value to the desired one)
4 - Select one of the three options:
Is this different to the driving mode button on the dash?

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Is this different to the driving mode button on the dash?
Yes this in theory (its been a very long time since I played with this setting) changes the resistance when you turn the steering wheel from light to hard.

But it only applies to pre facelift cars.

Reactions: SuperV8
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.