...not sure this was meant to happen!

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Hope they don't waive the warranty because another garage is looking it over!
You don't want to spend the money, and neither do SEAT so be carefull not to let the independant garage tinker too much, or you might upset the dealer.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Shouldn't this have gone straight to a dealer to look into ? I thought it had done until I read that last post !!

Get it there sharpish & let them diagnose it, don't tell them it's been fiddled with by a 3rd party.

They should sort out a courtesy car to, so no worries there.

Have you done any mods on the car which could have caused this (i.e a remap). If so, they may decline the warranty work.......

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
As pointed out above.... it needs to be at a SEAT dealer... your local garage isn't going to be covered by SEAT... you're going to be liable to that bill.

Then SEAT will likely tell you to do one for giving them a half dismantled car to work on.

why did you send it to a non franchised dealer?

mark1471

well between me and the recovery fella, we didnt actually know where a seat dealership was, I bought the car privately and have always had it serviced at fastfit.
so we figured it would be best to take it to fastfit as they only serviced it a month ago, and if they had ballsed summat up on the service, it was their liability.
they also reckon they can do warranty work, providing its warranty parts used, however im gonna get on the phone to them first thing, and hopefully get it transfered up to SEAT.
oh and as far as Im aware the car is standard
just thought id take this opportunity to thank everyone for showing an interest!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
if it's been serviced outside the dealer network, it'd be worthwhile getting your service history together too (invoices, stamps etc)

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I hope Fast Fit used genuine OEM parts and PD spec oil, or you will find a big bill handed to you when the work is done.
VAG warrantys only cover cars done by their own brand (SEAT in this case) or indipendant garages that are VAT registered and use Genuine VW approved parts and fluids.
Any ideas if they have used genuine parts?
I hope so for your sake mate. Keep us informed.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Well, ask 'em nicely to put it all back together and get it hauled up to Petchs, and go armed with (as pointed out) all your service history. And if the invoices don't say that Croxdale used VW505.01 oil, put it back on a trailer and take it back to Croxdale where they'll be fixing it for free cos they didn't use the correct oil. I'd hope that Petch are fairly forgiving but if the service history is dubious then be prepared for some chewing (at one place or the other).

Croxdale never impressed me with their technical knowledge whenever I went there to service their oil boiler. Some of their mechanics used to try bleeding the oil through to the burner after they'd run out, but they used to undo the pressure adjustment screw instead, then tighten it all the way back in when they'd done it. Loads of soot!....:doh:

mark1471

Well, ask 'em nicely to put it all back together and get it hauled up to Petchs, and go armed with (as pointed out) all your service history. And if the invoices don't say that Croxdale used VW505.01 oil, put it back on a trailer and take it back to Croxdale where they'll be fixing it for free cos they didn't use the correct oil. I'd hope that Petch are fairly forgiving but if the service history is dubious then be prepared for some chewing (at one place or the other).

this seems to be the general concencus ;). am prepared for a battle with the dealership like, a mate of mine had the engine pop in his civic Type R last october, 3 months after he bought it from a dealership. after returning it to them hes only just got it back with a new engine fitted at a private garage:S:S

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Can a remap cause this to happen??

Darn't floor mine now :s

It's a grey area around dealers. When you get a remap, it is putting more pressure & stress on your engine, which in theory, works the parts harder, making them more prone to failure.

If the guy has had a remap on his car, then SEAT may argue that this was the cause of the blown turbo, as having the remap made the turbo work harder than OEM.

In the real world, getting a remap from a reputable company, and within safe limits has no detrimental effect on your car, so floor away !!!

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Dealer should provide a courtesy car on request Mark - Hopefully its all sorted out soon (under warranty) - Would be a weight off your shoulders!

Best a luck and keep us updated! :coolthumb:

mark1471

Just come in from work and the cars home! :D fastfit have done it under warranty and dropped it round today, which is a weight off!:D
should of taken her straight to the dealership, but its done and aint cost, so ive ducked out of a expensive life lesson.
apparently the turbo had split and practically exploded :confused:
bad news is it needs some steady driving for a couple of weeks:cry:
the other bad news is ive been driving me mothers fabia vrs that un-beknown to her was mapped up when she bought it, so looks like ill be booking the FR in!....cant let little problems like exploding turbos get in the way of the bigger picture!

mark1471

im not gonna ask questions at the moment!
they did say a couple of months ago that they carry out warranty work so long as they can get the dealer parts, so I dont know if they've been in touch with SEAT or anything:confused:
either way, its back! id got all the service receipts ready like but they didnt state what oil was used. will quiz them about it when i take it for a check up in a couple of weeks

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I wouldn't upset the apple cart too much mate, just ensure you provide the correct oil for future servicing for peace of mind. Their customer care seems better than SEAT's so i'd keep them sweet and maybe pop in with a "thankyou" slab of beer? Saved you alot of hassle and possibly some money, so its a cheap way of showing your appreciation.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.