Terraclean on a Diesel

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had this carried out on their car, and if so did they think it was a worthwhile investment?

I have been reading up about it and I have yet to find a negative comment about it, it seems to be either positive or disbelieving it would appear.

I have an Leon TDI Cupra, and cant help thinking that giving the internals a good cleaning might help with some of the potential issues that occur with these (in particular the sticky vanes on the turbo).

So... as I say, has anyone had any personal experience with this stuff?

(For info.. here is the link to their website)

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had this carried out on their car, and if so did they think it was a worthwhile investment?

I have been reading up about it and I have yet to find a negative comment about it, it seems to be either positive or disbelieving it would appear.

I have an Leon TDI Cupra, and cant help thinking that giving the internals a good cleaning might help with some of the potential issues that occur with these (in particular the sticky vanes on the turbo).

So... as I say, has anyone had any personal experience with this stuff?

(For info.. here is the link to their website)

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

I've just had this done on my Leon Cupra TDI which has done 176,000 miles and I can honestly say it does pull alot smoother after it's been done. Not sure if it was a placebo or not but mpg seemed to have improved from 38mpg to the place and after it was 45mpg!

I think it's worth doing as it will get as you say get your internals de-coked.

Hope this helps, any more questions let me know.

Thanks,

S10EAT

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for the swift response! Roughly how much did it cost to get done, and how long did it take to actually do?

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Hmmmmm... Well assuming I get a similar mpg improvement to you, I should be able to save that much in fuel costs alone in 6 months!

Ok... Think I need to do some investigation into where I can get this done. Might be a silly question but does it matter if I get this done before or after a service? (Its booked in for a service next weds!)

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Hmmmmm... Well assuming I get a similar mpg improvement to you, I should be able to save that much in fuel costs alone in 6 months!

Ok... Think I need to do some investigation into where I can get this done. Might be a silly question but does it matter if I get this done before or after a service? (Its booked in for a service next weds!)

No doesn't really matter to be honest, all the carbon that will be striped in the engine internals is going out the exhaust as vapour anyway.

When I had mine done I'd had a service about 2000 miles before, so I wouldn't worry!

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
If it was me I'd get the terraclean done first then change the oil and filter.

This is maybe a strectch of hope/desperation but does terraclean have any effect on the likes of the sump or rocker cover or is it only as I imagine that the pathway of air and fuel is effected?

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Ok, looks like its time to go looking for a place close by that does it!

As a matter of interest I see you have had a Mufflectomy done with the Cupra R tip... did it make any difference to performance / noise? Also how much did it set you back to have it done? ( I have an exhaust that appears to be trying to make a bid for freedom and have been quoted £400 for a replacement part which sounds rediculous for a new back box!). Ideally I want to keep it stock (looking at least) but not sure I can stomach the idea of spending £400 on a stock backbox!

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Ok, looks like its time to go looking for a place close by that does it!

As a matter of interest I see you have had a Mufflectomy done with the Cupra R tip... did it make any difference to performance / noise? Also how much did it set you back to have it done? ( I have an exhaust that appears to be trying to make a bid for freedom and have been quoted £400 for a replacement part which sounds rediculous for a new back box!). Ideally I want to keep it stock (looking at least) but not sure I can stomach the idea of spending £400 on a stock backbox!

There's a few vids on Youtube of the noise without a back box. There's a pretty ridiculous 'pigeon squawking' noise on lift-off although the noise when accelerating doesn't sound bad (bit more throaty).

Why not just get a local Longlife agent to make you up a rear exhaust section with a silencer and your choice of tip? I got a cat-back stainless system from my local branch last year for £250 fitted.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
There's a few vids on Youtube of the noise without a back box. There's a pretty ridiculous 'pigeon squawking' noise on lift-off although the noise when accelerating doesn't sound bad (bit more throaty).

Why not just get a local Longlife agent to make you up a rear exhaust section with a silencer and your choice of tip? I got a cat-back stainless system from my local branch last year for £250 fitted.

I got my back box removed as it was half falling off anyways and replaced with a 6x4 oval tip, tip was 36 quid from eBay and fitting plus piping was £110, was from a local exhaust place in Hastings East Sussex, but I'm sure you could find a local exhaust centre to get similar prices.

Noise wise on idle its not much different, but on wot its got a nice kick, according to Thor racing the rough performance gain is about 7bhp and 10-15 ftlbs torque.

johnp2

Why not just use good fuel, with the additives in it over time it will do the same job ie shell optimax and do more to the miles to a tank,and run smoother with move power

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

johnp2

terraclean is a fuel/cleaner, remember red x , moden engines do not carbon very much at all

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The injectors in diesels do, they can get a bit fouled up and a good clean can make a difference but if all that stuff does is clean the fuel system I'd be more inclined to just get some liquid moly diesel purge and do it myself.

wesson12

Feb 25, 2012
Nottingham
A friend at work had his mg tf ( I know not a seat or a diesel lol) terracleaned and had an emissions test before and after.his emissions,( I think the hydrocarbons part) went from something like 0.55 to 0.09. He also said felt alot smoother. im defo considering doing my cupra.

Last edited:

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
I got my back box removed as it was half falling off anyways and replaced with a 6x4 oval tip, tip was 36 quid from eBay and fitting plus piping was £110, was from a local exhaust place in Hastings East Sussex, but I'm sure you could find a local exhaust centre to get similar prices.

Noise wise on idle its not much different, but on wot its got a nice kick, according to Thor racing the rough performance gain is about 7bhp and 10-15 ftlbs torque.

Seen the Thor racing vid. Beginning to wish I'd straight-piped mine now rather than chickening out with a new rear silencer. The 'squawking pigeon' noise on lift-off sounded a bit ridiculous though (see other Youtube vids of 'mufflerectomy').

Don't want to look like a boy racer at my age in my sensible-shoes diesel...:lol:

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
I have to admit I am edging closer to the side of just getting it done and seeing what happens. I am assuming that whatever they pipe through the engine won't do the engine seals and gaskets any damage, and if that's the case it's not a huge loss even if it doesn't make a massive difference. And if it does, it's probably something I would get done again in the future