Terraclean on a Diesel

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
there the ones who have never used it mate trust me you will feel a difference that's if you want to pay for it, i still use millers and the old Blast ect

engines are allot more advanced theses days since your flat cap rover days lol :D, hence Terraclean for newer engines.

if your a big Motorway driver i seen no point as this TC is really ideal for more short journey people as that is were i am, it will be a while before i have it done again as well as i see no need at the moment.

VE engines, that's the height of technology, now it's all going backwards lol

My car's missfiring, car wont start, need a new cam, turbo blew again etc etc. Sod that pile of poop!

I want a dam handle to crank mine ffs! :D

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
VE engines, that's the height of technology, now it's all going backwards lol

My car's missfiring, car wont start, need a new cam, turbo blew again etc etc. Sod that pile of poop!

I want a dam handle to crank mine ffs! :D

Trade her in as the car does not like her, get yourself a new Model :D

Apr 13, 2011
hull
You completely bypass the fuel system and the terraclean machine runs a really high cetane, unmolested, reffined diesel mixed 50:50 with the terra clean chemicals.

The rrp is £95+ vat and is recommended every 15k miles. There's talk of it becoming compulsory due to new EU legislation too.

I'm a fan of the old Italian tune up don't get me wrong but this is a different league.

What we intend to offer is a terra clean and engine oil flush combo that'll save the likes of full strip and cleans on the likes of TFSI engines.

It seems to be a flawless system though.

Ok cleanin the intake system and fuel system is quite a good idea due to intake carbons up badly and so does the exhaust system.
Plus the injection system does get quite dirty on a diesel And a good clean of that won't harm.

But there is one thing I'd not advise unless a cr has not been regularly service and that's an engine flush out due to engines don't really have a problum of being carbond up etc so my self that ain't required.

I say this being a HGV machanic where the engines use semi syc oils so not as good as fully syc plus they do 5x the mialage a car does and when doing strip downs on 1million mile old engines plus there still quite clean and a good e engine flush wouldn't make any diffrance that a good old oil change wouldn't do.

Plus the biggest problum with the fuel systems these days is the lack of lubrictaion in te modern day day fuel this is what causes the problums not dirt.

So in other words the intake an exhaust system is about all that's really required

Apr 13, 2011
hull
I defo agree with seat man 15k miles it wouldn't make any diffrance at all an engine would be still as clean as before 15k engines.
Oil tech has improved messily so problums have redused like I stated above the biggest problum now is the fuel system lubrication has been redused due to eu emissions having to be redused. And diesel being an oil type fuel it requires lubrictaion to work and redusing it causing failure of moving parts ie pumps and injectors that's why I added some good old 500ml minarel 2 stroke oil to mine to relube every thing that the diesel has not been as good as it should and it did make the engine quiter so there for it did what it was post to ( I didn't put it in to clean) but to assist

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Ok cleanin the intake system and fuel system is quite a good idea due to intake carbons up badly and so does the exhaust system.
Plus the injection system does get quite dirty on a diesel And a good clean of that won't harm.

But there is one thing I'd not advise unless a cr has not been regularly service and that's an engine flush out due to engines don't really have a problum of being carbond up etc so my self that ain't required.

I say this being a HGV machanic where the engines use semi syc oils so not as good as fully syc plus they do 5x the mialage a car does and when doing strip downs on 1million mile old engines plus there still quite clean and a good e engine flush wouldn't make any diffrance that a good old oil change wouldn't do.

Plus the biggest problum with the fuel systems these days is the lack of lubrictaion in te modern day day fuel this is what causes the problums not dirt.

So in other words the intake an exhaust system is about all that's really required

It's a bit different though. I guess a truck's engine will be at running temperature for most of the time whereas a car will see many more cold starts, and probably a fair few trips where the engine does not reach normal operating temperature.

Also, a truck's engine will be working hard at a high percentage of its maximum power for more of the time, getting everything nice and hot whereas a lot of diesel car engines are running at low load much of the time given British traffic conditions and the power of modern diesels.

The cars that are used like trucks, i.e: lots of long trips with the engine hot and running at high speed, probably wouldn't need Terraclean as often as cars doing lots of short trips. I'm sure a ot of diesel problems are the result of people buying diesels for short local trips.

The extended oil change intervals recommended by the manufacturers for purely marketing reasons don't help either....:think:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
A guy round my way quoted £100 all in on a 1.8t

I could have swore I saw a clip on youtube of seafoam destroying an engine.

My mate told me when upgrading my 0.205um nozzles to 0.216um that it would take a 1000 miles or so to realise their full potential as the old carbon build ups would need displacing by the new spray pattern.

I would believe that the advantages of decarbonising the intake and exhausts. In the combustion chamber itself though is the place of carbon deposits on the cylinder wall at the top of the piston stroke. Also on the piston crown and the cylinder head around the injector/spark plug.

The advantages then would be a slight increase in volume at tdc. Also possible reduced shoulder wear or ring wear dependant on piston design from non carbon contact.

Better seating of the valves in the head. I would like to think that this process doesn't interfere with the lubrication process. It's hard to imagine that they would market this product if it had detrimental effects on the engine components.

What I'm trying to say is mechanical components don't allways behave the way you expect them to and disturbing an established environment/combustion chamber may not be a good idea. I used to operate a finnpower press and shear machine with punches and shear blades. It used to punch away at times and you'd think it's a good time to change a tool and although the profile hole was good the tool would be as rough as a bagger. Then You'd put a new tool in and it would jam two punches latter. Then change it for a tool that doesn't look any different and it would punch away.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
hull
Yes a truck does run at temp most the time your correct and they rev less but am on about the fuel system side and engine internal sides don't really make a diffrance when running at temp or cold that's why I didn't say anything about the intake and exhaust system side of things.

To explain what I said above let's talk abouts oils
Semi sync oil
Will work better at normal temptures and work perfect at high temps to its grade

Fully sync
Will work still as good as semi at low temp as semi would normal and work best out of the two at high temps
Plus this oil stays within its tolances for longer so not needing changeing as often plus it's also slightly thinner than semi so will get into parts better and work better This is y most cars now us fully sync so this is y I'd say the engine internals don't really require engine flush.

( don't get me wrong engine flush does have place to be used but I wouldn't advise unless like I said before the engine has been neglected.)

I have know of cars that hae used engine flush to cause problums it can damage seals due to the nature of how it works plus it can also separate the new oils put into the engine an cause the new oil to not work to its best if not fully flushed out propley.

The best thing to use for an engine to flush would be hydraulic oil run to temp then drain.

Apr 13, 2011
hull
A guy round my way quoted £100 all in on a 1.8t

I could have swore I saw a clip on youtube of seafoam destroying an engine.

My mate told me when upgrading my 0.205um nozzles to 0.216um that it would take a 1000 miles or so to realise their full potential as the old carbon build ups would need displacing by the new spray pattern.

I would believe that the advantages of decarbonising the intake and exhausts. In the combustion chamber itself though is the place of carbon deposits on the cylinder wall at the top of the piston stroke. Also on the piston crown and the cylinder head around the injector/spark plug.

The advantages then would be a slight increase in volume at tdc. Also possible reduced shoulder wear or ring wear dependant on piston design from non carbon contact.

Better seating of the valves in the head. I would like to think that this process doesn't interfere with the lubrication process. It's hard to imagine that they would market this product if it had detrimental effects on the engine components.

What I'm trying to say is mechanical components don't allways behave the way you expect them to and disturbing an established environment/combustion chamber may not be a good idea. I used to operate a finnpower press and shear machine with punches and shear blades. It used to punch away at times and you'd think it's a good time to change a tool and although the profile hole was good the tool would be as rough as a bagger. Then You'd put a new tool in and it would jam two punches latter. Then change it for a tool that doesn't look any different and it would punch away.

You have hit the nail on the head.

I only said all this becasue on the guys list he stated he used engine flush as part of the terriclean Job and basicly I so so strongly do not advise it that I had to state I have seen to Meny bad things come from engine flush.

The inlet and exhaust system is all I'd clean its the only things that would require it

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I've used the likes of forte for years. If you heed the instructions you won't have problems.

Even maintained engines suffer carbonisation problems because of the likes of egr systems or flawed designs, the pd and the 20vt are both examples of this.

Also if you do before and after checks with forte it makes a noticeable difference.

The 15k interval was a suggestion by the Canadian government who funded the terra clean project in an effort to lower emissions across the country, it was apparently found that this was the interval where, if kept, allowed vehicles to operate at their most efficient when using terra clean.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It's a funny one this carbon debate, some engines opened up after 100's of 1000's of miles are just perfect yet others are mank. PD or VE, it doesn't seem to matter.

I've got an ALH in my garage with a busted timing belt, it's done about 180'000 miles and I'm going to whip the head off and take a peak. The intake was fairly clean though and the injectors too and this came from a guy who's clueless and neglected his car.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
the carbon debate is a load of waffle and a excuse for tax rises, 250 million years ago the temp was 20c hotter, i reckon if they stuck cat converters on T-rex's that would of sorted that problem lol,

it is said that carburetors work better now than any ECU to date due to advancements of course,you no it would not surprise me in the least.

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
the carbon debate is a load of waffle and a excuse for tax rises, 250 million years ago the temp was 20c hotter, i reckon if they stuck cat converters on T-rex's that would of sorted that problem lol,

it is said that carburetors work better now than any ECU to date due to advancements of course,you no it would not surprise me in the least.

Wrong kind of carbon ya fanny :p (I mean that as a term of endearment :D)

Talking about carbon as in coke, the black stuff that can gather in an engine and cause poor performance or hot spots and use to cause pre ignition in the good old days

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Wrong kind of carbon ya fanny :p (I mean that as a term of endearment :D)

Talking about carbon as in coke, the black stuff that can gather in an engine and cause poor performance or hot spots and use to cause pre ignition in the good old days

we all no it is the same fanny :D

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
No me fanny, we talk about different carbonara, you talk bout "hey man the worlds gonna heat up and boil and sheet" whereas we talk about pencils clogging your engine :D

chichee

Mar 11, 2012
Broxbourne
Right! Have had the car Terracleaned.

Initial reaction/feedback is that it does feel more responsive and the MPG reads better already. Whether this will reflect in the real world remains to be seen.

I'll update with a further review after a couple of weeks.

It cost me £84.00 inc VAT.

Madmalc

Just had mine terracleaned as it was smoking more than the old lady in my local pub. I thought it was just over fuelling since I had the remap done. The other day it started to misfire and I thought that could be the injectors knackered. The terraclean was £60 which I thought would be cheaper than new injectors. So far it only smoked for the first mile from the garage and nothing since, even when I thrash it a bit. I've only done about 40-50 miles but even when I try to get it to misfire it doesn't. All in all I highly recommend it so far, car is loads quicker, smoother and quieter too.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise