Mk5 coilovers ,Which ones???

Stu wiltshire

Nov 27, 2014
Gloucestershire
Hello all, I've been reading through the different coilovers threads and I can't really find the info I want.
I've got a face lift ibiza Cupra, it's far to high for my liking, so I want to lower it, now I've read that just going down the spring route is a bad idea as it just eats dampers.
So coilovers are what I'm looking for, but which ones? I see a lot of people using Joms for around £200 but I do believe in "you get what you pay for" so are £450 coilovers crap as well?
There's so many from £200 upto £1000+.
I want the Cupra lower but I don't want the ride to be rock hard as it's my daily driver.
What coilovers are you guys using? How much were they and what's the ride like??

Cheers stu

kenny_fr

Sep 19, 2007
Glasgow
Hi Stu

It's really down to what your willing to spend and if you want lows or quality. I've had quite a few sets of springs / coilover setups now on different cars ranging from cheap FK's through to KW V1's and 2's. You'll find mixed reviews all over the forum but in my experience FK's were cheap and didn't last much of a Scottish winter, all rusted and leaking. The KW V1's were pretty solid and not that comfy all be it a very decent set up. V2's were good but not worth the price. Right now I'm running AP coilovers on my cupra which have been on a while and its the best set I've ever owned. Gives a nice ride height with plenty of adjustment left, more comfortable to drive than standard, isn't rock hard and crashy, and also has the protective coatings which cheap coils don't have so I'd recommend going for them. There are better sets out there like bilstein for example but for the £450 price AP's are hard to argue over.

There's pics in my thread to show you how mine sits if need be.

Hope that helps,

Stu wiltshire

Nov 27, 2014
Gloucestershire
Hi Stu

It's really down to what your willing to spend and if you want lows or quality. I've had quite a few sets of springs / coilover setups now on different cars ranging from cheap FK's through to KW V1's and 2's. You'll find mixed reviews all over the forum but in my experience FK's were cheap and didn't last much of a Scottish winter, all rusted and leaking. The KW V1's were pretty solid and not that comfy all be it a very decent set up. V2's were good but not worth the price. Right now I'm running AP coilovers on my cupra which have been on a while and its the best set I've ever owned. Gives a nice ride height with plenty of adjustment left, more comfortable to drive than standard, isn't rock hard and crashy, and also has the protective coatings which cheap coils don't have so I'd recommend going for them. There are better sets out there like bilstein for example but for the £450 price AP's are hard to argue over.

There's pics in my thread to show you how mine sits if need be.

Hope that helps,

I was actually looking at the AP coil overs and I was hoping that someone had them. So I'm glad you've given a good review.
I didn't want to spend £1000's as I just don't have the money but I could be pushed to around £700ish for the likes of bilsteins but £450 sounds better to me.

Cheers stu

Stu wiltshire

Nov 27, 2014
Gloucestershire
Cheers Damian , I've been looking on the DPM website but it's hard to choose which is the best kit to go for around the £500 mark as there are a couple of different kits , AP, V-maxx, FK silverline or pay a little more for the ST X kit.
Or would you say that they are all much of a muchness? Or is there 1 that stands out better than the rest ?

Cheers stu

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I have a bilstein b14 mono tube kit.... On German eBay you can get these for around 550 delivered to the uk. They ride very very very nice but the rear even with just the springs in the back doesn't sit the back right down.

There is nothing wrong with springs on standard shocks by the way, that's just people's opinions.

I had kw v1's for a spell and found them very good,sits nice and low and rides very well even at as low as they go heights, anti corrosion on the KW's is by far the best out there, they really stand up to whatever nature throws at them (other companies need to takeaway leaf out of there book) it comes at a cost though but the ride on the bilsteins is better.

Fk's I've heard all sorts of bad things about fks, yes they rust yes they are cheap. They will go very very low, they are great for people that want to lower the hell out of the car. I've been in a mk5 cupra with fk lowered to a realistic height, got to say I had no issues at all with the ride, was better than standard easy and it was lower. If I bought some I'd give them a coat of paint to offer them some protection against the elements and they would be fine. If you lower the hell out if them though its going to come at a cost and that's going to be ride quality

Stu wiltshire

Nov 27, 2014
Gloucestershire
I'm not looking to lower it that much, I need it as a daily, I just want to get rid of the arch gap or at least some of it. Am I right in thinking that the bilsteins drop about 55mm?

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I'm not looking to lower it that much, I need it as a daily, I just want to get rid of the arch gap or at least some of it. Am I right in thinking that the bilsteins drop about 55mm?

Tbh I'm not sure how much they drop, the front will go as low as you would need it to it's the rear that's the problem. But still saying that it will get rid of the massive arch gap. I'd 100 go bilstein over ap but you might be happy enough with fk's

Stu wiltshire

Nov 27, 2014
Gloucestershire
I've now been thinking about the H&R springs that you had on yours. Going by the pics the car looked spot on, plus it saves on some cash, but then I worry about what everyone seems to be saying about standard shocks and lowered springs, that the shocks will wear out pretty quick.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I wouldn't worry yourself about that, it won't make any drastic changes to wear, ride is a touch harsh though.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
/\ i have robbies "old" kws on my car,

ride is better then standard. comfier adn way more complient. cant beat a decent set of coilovers,

id also go billy over AP. and id go KW over billy purely from a rear lows situation.

dlok

Feb 4, 2014
Re: people saying the FK's are bad, yes the cheap streetline ones are bad but I've had two sets of silverlines in the past and they've lasted really well and are properly rust protected.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

KK

Ibiza FR & 205 GTI
Nov 24, 2013
Stoke
I've got H&R springs on my FR and I Love them, ride is a bit harsher than standard but having said that I've got 17" rims and the roads where I live are horrible, I think the arch gap is good, a touch lower might be nice but it's my daily driver.

dlok

Feb 4, 2014
I've got H&R springs on my FR and I Love them, ride is a bit harsher than standard but having said that I've got 17" rims and the roads where I live are horrible, I think the arch gap is good, a touch lower might be nice but it's my daily driver.

Hey did you fit them yourself? If so would you be willing to help me with a few queries in another thread in this sub forum?