fr tdi has got a couple of issues what do you think

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
picture.php

Hello people hope everyone is well, just looking for some more wise words regarding my fr tdi,
It had a few rattley noises on the front end when I bought it and so far I have replaced both lower arms with fai car parts ones not ebay, meyle heavy duty drop links, and a 2nd hand console mount bracket which was a nightmare to put back on because I think the chassis leg is slightly twisted..... Oh and a pattern gsf cupra bush.... Please don't buy any get genuine cupra, I had to use a truck ratchet strap to press the arm in, anyway the noise is still there..... It happens when nearly on full lock when reversing or going forward.... It will only do it once but it really sounds like a clunk like a ball joint clunk, I remember someone on here said something about a loose subframe ?

And the next issue is when say in third gear at 2000 revs when letting off the throttle and then back on it has lurched almost feeling like it's going to stall ? Egr valve dirty ? The car has had oil and oil filter but not got round to changing the other filters yet
Any advice would be great ��

Last edited:

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Fuel filter should be done asap if not known when it was last done
As for the clunk. I had same issue and turned out to be a duff front right calliper

Yes and the air filter.... Been a bit busy putting a new swinging arm on my bike major modifications spent a good 2-300 on the car so far...had to get it tracked as well.
One other thing is the car has ap shocks and very loose feeling springs on it

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Was something to do with calliper but no t sure what it was again
But the dirty fuel filter will cause surging and all sorts of power problems. Similar symptoms to sticky vnt

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Was something to do with calliper but no t sure what it was again
But the dirty fuel filter will cause surging and all sorts of power problems. Similar symptoms to sticky vnt

Yep it looks past it's best on the outside I'll get one. And as for the caliper noise I thought they felt loose, the pins must be worn on em .....cheers I appreciate it

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
If it's really bad then you will feel a very noticeable power gain when you replace it. As I did. My one was messed up looking on the outside and would get a surge like you described.

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
I think this car is chipped as it felt as quick as the sorted st170 I just sold.... This one feels nervous compared to that

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Yer my car was same. Was told it was chipped to 170 but did not feel like it. New fuel filter made it feel better. But also had a leaking tandem pump "crap mpg and iffy brakes symptoms" so replaced that it it got better some more. Then just put a cat back straight pipe on and now it's going like a wee rocket

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Yer my car was same. Was told it was chipped to 170 but did not feel like it. New fuel filter made it feel better. But also had a leaking tandem pump "crap mpg and iffy brakes symptoms" so replaced that it it got better some more. Then just put a cat back straight pipe on and now it's going like a wee rocket

Sounds the exact same

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
My car has had every fault the mk4 can get from abs to knocks and bangs to water leaks power steering light and so on. All fixed now and get 55 mpg to work and back 280 miles a week doing the full to brim method every week

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Well went to euro car parts and they wanted 34 quid for a filter, even with 30%off it would only bring it Down to £23.80 so I have ordered a fram filter off ebay for £9 which suits me better.

Checked the brakes by pumping them to release the vacuum then started the engine and the pedal dropped, yet to check the vacuum hose properly I'll do that when I do the filter and post the results

Last edited:

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Well my filter turned up and apart from the fact it was advertised as a Fram filter it was an Alco filter which I have never heard of, and to top it all off it was the wrong one (twice the length that it should be ) so the old adage "buy cheap buy twice" slapped me in the face, so after going to Andrew page and bought a MAN Filter for £24 ..... The car was f#**ing quick before, now it absolutely flies, so definitely is re mapped and I'm guessing that it's a 180 map, as it's quicker than my st170. I also checked the vacuum hose for the brake servo and couldn't see any problem with it, but the brakes ain't as good as I know that they should be, but the previous owner seemed to be a fan of tat off eBay so probably crap pads on the front but I have changed the back ones and discs for oe spec and bled all four corners so more investigation to do there.
Next thing is what can I do to liberate some more power fairly easily ? And how do I add an avatar on here
Answers on a postcard to ........

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
for me it was a fault with the tandem pump that gave me the crap brakes
only found out it was the fault when i changed it due to a fuel leak.
After that the brakes have been great.
Fuel filter can make a massive difference on these cars and a better exhaust will also help if its been remapped and you still have the standard exhaust.
I have catback straight pipe and it dont sound that bad and its helped with the low down power

Cupra k1

Josh k1 300
Jul 13, 2017
North East England
fr issues

Just an option for you to try check front sub frame bolts and wishbone bolts for any wear this seems like a small amount of play but can have a big effect noise and feel through the wheel especially cornering at low speed, :)

Last edited:

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Aye cheers I'll have a look at the subframe bolts, I had just put two new arms on it with new bolts torqued off properly, new top mount as well. I'll also have a look at the gearbox mount

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
How did it go did you get chance to solve the riddle?

hello bud .... nah not had enough time to have a look at it yet but i'm thinking subframe bolts possibly or steering rack ..... can't see it being the calipers BUT it could be .... seems to be when going nearly full lock in forward or reverse and not always doing it .... has had a clutch before i got it so subframe is a possibility

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise