DSC_5672.jpg

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
After finding my brake pad looking like this:
SANY1019.jpg

I needed a new disc, so of course 2X discs and 4X pads really dented the wallet! However the car has been transformed.
The sad thing is that the other 3 pads were in amazing condition and the LH disc was ok too.

SANY1017.jpg

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Wow, VERY long time no update here.
Finally got back on the forum, and finally done some work on the car.

Still have not completed everything I had aimed to, or had bought.

However, I DID get a new intercooler fitted, an aux fusebox, my reversing camera, a screen, a boot tidy and a cheeky little VW sticker.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
My home made boot tidy:
It was made out of 300X300mm elasticated cargo netting bought from a local hardware store for £1 and some cable ties.

I always used to have crap rolling around in the boot, but now I have hidden it in this cubby hole, under the carpet in various spaces by the spare wheel and used velcro to hold the dustpan on the side.

01042012831.jpg

01042012832.jpg

01042012836.jpg

06042012854.jpg

Last edited:

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
When deciding where to put the camera, I found a suitable spot and gave it a tap to ensure the crash bar was not right there.
It seemed fine, so I got my hole cutter out and drilled the hole.
However.... the crash bar IS exactally where I drilled the hole, and is about 20mm behind it. My camera is about 25mm deep. So I had to drill a second hole.

24032012769.jpg

It looks bad close up having the electrical tape cover the hole haha, but from a distance, it isnt too bad.
30032012784.jpg

Yes I KNOW the car needs a clean, will get round to it soon.
Also, that photo was taken when I was moving house and had a car full of furniture (Leons are like a van when you remove the rear seats), so the wheels were well tucked in the arches and I LOVE the look of it.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
My intercooler was covered in oil, and I have been suffering from reduced boost and power, so I went out and bought a new intercooler.

09022012447.jpg

Old
09022012460.jpg

New
09022012469.jpg

Only took 10 mins to remove the bumper which was nice, however getting it back on took a little longer.

09022012457.jpg

The new intercooler appears to have made quite a difference to the drive, better pickup now and I can feel pull for longer through the rev range than before.

Last edited:

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
In order to carry out my electrical mods, I finally got round to wiring in my aux fusebox. Meaning I now have power to my 12v socket in the boot, reversing camera, screen and ***** fin antenna.

Trial fit
DSC_1173.jpg

DSC_1175.jpg

DSC_1177.jpg

DSC_1178.jpg

DSC_1179.jpg

DSC_1180.jpg

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
What intercooler did you go for a new standard or the thicker on from ebay?
Also you do realise that under the dash is the main freed from the battery, would have saves you routing that red wire ;)

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
I went for a direct replacement intercoooler in the end, as I dont see the ppoint in a thicker one on a TDI running the standard turbo. Maybe if you were running a bigger turbo and a few extra bits on a stage 2/3.

I did know about the feed thank you, however im not keen on tapping off existing feeds for everything. Its aux fuseboxes and relays all round for me, as some VAG systems are very sensitive to the smallest voltage drop/extra current draw.
Installing the red cable took less than 5 mins, however the fusebox took me a bit longer haha.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Reversing Camera Screen issues

Having issues with the screen but cant work out why yet, will have to sort it all out when I get time.
The screen struggles to pick up a picture sometimes, then when it does, it is perfect and wont even flicker in the slightest. However, sometimes it works fine.

Going over bumps, or moving the wiring around has no effect on it, so I doubt its a connection issue. Will still re-solder the connections to see if it changes though. I am wondering if I ignored the maximum bend radius of the co-axial cable and have damaged that. Could also be interferance however im not sure as there is no pattern as to when it works or when it does not regardless of what is siwtched on/off.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
The to-do list grows...

Well my camera and screen work 99% of the time within 30 seconds of turning the ignition on now, but I have no idea why.
Also, the 12v socket in the boot does not actually like supplying sufficient power to anything, anything you plug in to it shows the usual signs of power by illuminating the LED's on whatever you have plugged in, but does not appear to power or charge anything....apart from an Iphone. I put the socket there for a tyre compressor and coolbox, but no luck so far.

There is a huge to-do list on this car now, about time it had a radical new look.

Pics WILL follow when the kit starts arriving.
As well as changing the look, I plan to sort out a few old niggles with the door lock microswitch, broken window clips and boost issues.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
*pics* Rear view Camera screen working

I completely forgot about putting any pictures up of the screen fitted or in action, so here we are:

You get a very clear picture, with distance markings for parking
2012-04-27-015.jpg

It is mounted below the ashtray in the centre console, so I can refer to it when required but it is not in my way.
10042012863.jpg

The screen folds down to give me access to the OBD port, to hide the picture or to allow me to open the ashtray.

The camera I am using is a low light camera, so it will not see in 100% darkenss, however as soon as there is a single streetlight or your reverse lights come on, the picture is clear and perfect. It is also in colour unlike the infra-red LED night vision camera I was originally going to fit.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Its worthwhile doing, as the leon obviously wasnt designed with rear vision in mind. Not too hard to do either, just involves taking trim out to lay the video feed. Oh and make sure you drill in the right place unlike me haha

Apr 5, 2011
Somerset
I completely forgot about putting any pictures up of the screen fitted or in action, so here we are:

You get a very clear picture, with distance markings for parking
2012-04-27-015.jpg

It is mounted below the ashtray in the centre console, so I can refer to it when required but it is not in my way.
10042012863.jpg

The screen folds down to give me access to the OBD port, to hide the picture or to allow me to open the ashtray.

The camera I am using is a low light camera, so it will not see in 100% darkenss, however as soon as there is a single streetlight or your reverse lights come on, the picture is clear and perfect. It is also in colour unlike the infra-red LED night vision camera I was originally going to fit.

Where abouts did you get this from?

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Washed the car yesterday and then decided to debadge.

Wow I didnt realise how faded the car truly is until I removed the old badges.

Then I treated the car to a new sticker too.

After wash
2012-06-09-427.jpg

With badges removed
2012-06-09-428.jpg

After cleaning off sticky mess
2012-06-09-429.jpg

FAAAADE
2012-06-09-430.jpg

Now with sticker....
2012-06-09-434.jpg

Covers the fading
2012-06-09-435.jpg

I used a plastic scraper to remove the badges and sticky stuff, took all of around 40 seconds and didnt leave a mark.
Im happy with the results!

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
I have just had a spare 5 mins and got bored.... so have been looking on the DVLA website for a nice cheap universal personalised registration.

Not quite sure what to go for, I want my initials and VAG in there, so ** ** VAG looks good to me, the issue is the year to pick. I dont want to limit myself for putting it on future cars by going 53, but I dont want the Leon looking too much older than it is.

Which is the lesser of two evils? anybody's suggestions welcome.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members