Auto/Electric handbrake

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
Had my 18 plate Leon 1.8 FR for just over a week now.
Has anybody had experience with the auto handbrake causing the engine to stall?
On several occasions when the car is on an upward slope as I try to pull away the brake does not release and the engine stalls. Punching down the clutch the engine restarts and on release the car will pull away. Embossing and the last time it happened I was nearly rear ended by the car behind.
My previous 63 plate Mk3 Leon FR had the traditional lever handbrake and old way of feeling the clutch bite and releasing the handbrake never was a problem.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Takes a bit of getting used to. But yeah you are right particularly on upward or downward inclines it is a bit tricky to disengage. On balance I think it's a great feature.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
It takes a bit of getting used to, our Tiguan has it so has been easy adapting to the Leon. Just give it a few more weeks and you will be adept to it and find a handbrake lever old fashioned :eek:)

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Are you applying the handbrake, by pulling the button each time?

You’ll notice on the dash that when the handbrake is applied manually the P symbol will be red.

However, when you come the a complete stop the car engages the handbrake (handbrake/footbrake) automatically anyway. The dash will show a green P symbol when you confirm. Then, when you pull away it’ll disengage.

I found the issue you describe above, when pulling away after manually applying the handbrake. I don’t think the system is designed for that, but somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
My Father had this issue on the initial test drive, stalling the demo 5 times. As the previous post mentioned, the trick seems to be to leave it alone to do it's thing in 'auto', (green P) mode and all is well once you learn to trust it.

The only other issue he had was when shunting on his tight driveway, the emissions Stop/Start system was kicking-in as the car was in neutral for a tad too long, seemingly because of him being too slow changing gear from reverse to first and vice versa.

He has the typical mechanical sympathy of a brickie that he used to be before retiring and has always had trouble getting used to 'new' gearboxes on any car, but has mostly got the hang of it after a week... :rolleyes:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise