Leon 2.0 TDI 184 FR Stalls at junctions / speed humps if in 2nd gear

Mar 25, 2023
I have just picked up a 2.0 TDI 184 FR (2017) that's done 72K. It drives great but I don't know if there is 2nd gear stalling fault with it, or if this the way these diesels work.

Issue
When approaching a junction or speed hump in second gear the car will stall if I try and pull away in second. It will stay stalled until I dip the clutch and select 1st gear. Then the engine will auto start again.

I have not driven a manual diesel since the 90s, so I do not know if this is a fault, or if this the way they are now (possibly to help keep emissions down?) Maybe it just needs getting used to?

Detail
1. Drive up to a junction in second (either from second or dropping down from third)
2. As you approach the junction brake, and also dip the clutch ready to anticpate a stop
3. Look right and see there is no traffic so engage the clutch and pull away
4. If the revs have dropped below 1000 (even just ~950) then the car will stall
5. Dip the clutch and put it into first. The engine starts up again

Other Possible Evidence
To me the bite point seems low. A petrol manual toyota I have is more mid pointed, and other petrol manuals I have driven in the past 10 years do not seem this low.

So what's going on here?

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I stall mine occasionally trying to set off below 10 mph in second. Mine would not pull away in second below 1000rpm without stalling. Give it a bit of accelerator pedal to bring the revs up. Probably just need to get used to the car. Any paperwork on when/if any clutch work or dmf replaced?

Mar 25, 2023
It's a bit tricky pressing the accelerator as the fott is on the brake :). I guess it's something that would come natural in time.

No paperwork to show the clutch has been worked on. There's nothing in the service book or invoices. And the fact it stalls suggest to me that it's not worn else it would slip.

The cambelt and water pump were replaced recently. That's the only major thing that's been done to it.

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Give the accelerator a quick blip before you lift the clutch up, doesn’t need to be much 😉. Also the car has an automatic hold/antiroll back function (well mine does which is a 2016 so yours should) so don’t need to worry about rolling back on hill starts

Last edited:
Reactions: Leon Black
Mar 25, 2023
Yes this sounds like the hold/hill assist feature doing this.

It's unusual but I guess I will get used to it. Have used hill assists with automatics before but never a manual box.

Thanks for your help.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yes this sounds like the hold/hill assist feature doing this.

It's unusual but I guess I will get used to it. Have used hill assists with automatics before but never a manual box.

Thanks for your help.
Hill hold only works when the car is on a hill/incline and from stationary.

I checked mine (2015 184 ST manual) on the last few journeys - second gear slowly coming upto a junction, revs below 1000, look both ways & clear so lift clutch (gently) and accelerate away fine.

It has quite a strong 'anti stall' feature - if in gear and warm engine, when you lift the clutch it automatically raises the revs ready for pulling away - does your do this? I can gently change in to second with no accelerator it it will idle along when in traffic for example.

Maybe you need to just give it a split second more time (slower) lifting the clutch for the anti-stall to work? Or maybe just need to be more gently with the clutch take up? Every car has different bite points - it's difficult to directly compare different brands from different decades. When I first got my Leon I did find the controls (steering/brakes/clutch) rather light and numb compared to my previous 2005 Audi - but you soon get used to the differences.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.