Revotechnik

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » Diagnostics, Tuning and Modification » Engine Discussion » TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics

TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics exclusively for SEAT diesel specific topics only.

Old 26-01-2017, 22:13   #1
clag

clag has 10 points
Cold starting characteristics leon 150 pd

Hey all.

Ive had my car a couple of weeks now and just getting round to the niggly bits. Im still getting used to it really.

Having never owned a pd engined car before this im unsure as to what they are meant to be like cold starting.

Mine starts first time every time, even if i start it like a petrol ( had petrol cars for 5 years or so, i forget)

Even if i wait for the plugs to warm up 10 sec or so it seems to idle rough for a few seconds then clears up.

There is grey smoke though smells of unburned diesel. It clears up after a few minutes of driving. Its enough to see and if i start it up while de icing the smoke hangs around.

It only does it if its been sat all night or all day while at work. Once its cleared the idle is rock steady.

Is it likely just to be the glow plugs? It doesnt use any oil or coolant.
clag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 16:51   #2
cheshire cat

cheshire cat has 10 points
sounds like a plug on the blink just put a meter across each(disconnected but in situ)) one to check continuity (plug to block) or ultra high resistance
Old 31-01-2017, 22:43   #3
clag

clag has 10 points
Cheers, one more job for the weekend.

Ive got an alternator clutch pulley and the spline tool coming, plus an alternator belt so sticking a meter on the glow plugs is an easy addition.

Bloody car XD

Edit: i did get to the cause of most of my smoke. It was the EGR valve. Seemed to be stuck open, id say it was 30% blocked so eventually the inlet manifold will have to come off to be thoroughly cleaned. I removed the EGR and fitted a delete pipe and blank at the weekend it feels like a different car.

Is it a tough job or easy enough to remove and clean the inlet?

Last edited by clag; 01-02-2017 at 23:13.
clag is offline   Reply With Quote