Dnx520vbt

Rexo

Nov 21, 2014
Hi,

I got one of these head units a few weeks ago based on good reviews and I went and got it professionally installed. It's a brilliant head unit function wise and a massive step up from the standard unit (I drive I mk2 FR), but the sound quality is nowhere near as good as the standard unit! This is not what I had read in reviews so does anyone else have this problem? Are there any settings I need to play with? I did have a look at the equaliser but for example to get the low frequencies to sound anywhere like the standard unit I have to boost it all the way up! Surely that isn't right?

Can someone help?

Thanks

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Have the speakers been upgraded ?

I think he means it doesn't sound as good through the same speakers as the previous OEM head unit he previously had, and he was expecting better results from the upgrade.

I have the 520, but it was already in the car when i got it so I do not have a comparison - however I expected it to sound better than it does, and put that down to the OEM speakers and general acoustic limitations of the door mounts.

I have found settings that are about as good as it gets for me. I can happily post up some info / shots of the settings if you are interested??

One thing to look out for, is that the equalizer settings are unique for each input, so if you sort out the sound while listening to USB, it wont be the same settings when you play a CD or radio or whatever - you have to set each up individually.

Don't forget the frequency you choose for top/mid/bottom plays a massive part as well as the levels.

Rexo

Nov 21, 2014
I haven't upgraded the speakers, you are right I'm comparing it to when I had the OEM unit fitted.

If it's possible to show me your settings that would be mega handy! Also, how do you change the frequency of each the lows/mids/highs the frequencies are blanked out and seems unchangeable on my unit, however it must be I just don't know how!

Thanks

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Yes I understood the point. There was two points to my speaker question, one is that maybe the standard head unit and speakers are a good match and not so good for the Kenwood and also that perception of relative sound quality is entirely between our ears, maybe upgrading the speakers would change that perception

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
I haven't upgraded the speakers, you are right I'm comparing it to when I had the OEM unit fitted.

If it's possible to show me your settings that would be mega handy! Also, how do you change the frequency of each the lows/mids/highs the frequencies are blanked out and seems unchangeable on my unit, however it must be I just don't know how!

Thanks

You need to enable SystemQ-Ex on the equaliser landing screen to access the frequency curve values:

20141217_180728.jpg

Select Tone, and then you get the settings menu. Got mine set like this currently:

20141217_180744.jpg

20141217_180751.jpg

20141217_180803.jpg

Also dont forget to turn on Loudness in the other audio settings menu:

20141217_180912.jpg

And when you get chance, make yourself a custom startup screen:

20141217_180636.jpg

Here is the guide for how to do some tweaks:

http://www.darkmoon.org.uk/dnx520vbt

And link to the instruction book:

http://darkmoon.org.uk/Instruction_Manual-ENG.pdf

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Thanks mate!

No worries, do let me know what you think of the results once you get full access to the tone settings, I have no point of reference as its the only HU ive had in the Leon on the stock speakers.
Very tempted to mount some 6x9s under the parcel shelf, a little sub and upgrade the fronts in the new year.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.