MAF cleaning

doidge0

I was just wondering if anyone has tryed to clean the maf hotwire by spraying contact cleaner on it, my mate did it on his old 1.25 fiesta and it improved it quite alot .

strugers1

jabba sport did mine before they mapped it as it was covered in oil!!but due to a crap maf i get a stupid flat spot for200rpm!!i think i going to buy a new one for the hell of it

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Doidge - VAG engines dont use hotwire technology MAFs, they use a flat plate, but alas generally cleaning is the same.

Tolly - yes ive tried this back when i had some issues it did help a little but the maf was later replaced by the dealer under warranty when they were trying to fix my stuttering turbo (another story). So yes this does work but it should only be considered a short term fix as the MAF wont operate as well once its been dirty then tried to burn the dirt off, so a replacement ultimately is the only answer.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
When we got the Ibiza the MAF was shot, car would not run over 2.5k revs, took out the MAF cleaned and soaked over night, now good as gold, I have logged the output using vag-com and compaired with the Cordoba and they are now both about the same.

malcpw

I have Seat Ibiza TDi 2001 with ASV 110 engine. Had limp mode problem - sticking vanes. So on Monday stripped out inlet and exhaust manifolds. Stripped and rebuild the turbo vanes, they weren't carboned up but were mechanically pinching. Had to remove small amount of metal to get running clearance.

I'M GETTING THERE. before you ask what's this got to do with MAF.

Well motor still not reving as well as I'd have expected or heard it should but no more limp. Tried cleaning MAF, much much better performance. But read somewhere that usually if they need cleaning they need replacing. So bit the bullet and spent £52(from Andrew Page) on new Bosch one.

What a difference - pulls harder everywhere in rev range and revs to red line like a good un.

So I know it's not my money but I would say go for new one.

Malcolm

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
cheers Malcolm I know what you are talking about with the inlet manifold and egr system cleanout/de-carbonise...I have this lovely job to do very shortly as my car has done 110k and is well sooted up.

Would be very interested if you wouldnt mind posting/ redirecting me to a bit of how to with regards to cleaning the turbo out mate. have had a look at a guide from tdiclub but would be nice to have a few pointers.

back to topic.....will consider getting a new one I have heard that the bosch ones generally arent as good is there any truth in this or is it prior versions? some people have used merc ones also would anyone know anything about this too?

Cheers

malcpw

I found these two sites useful. Because I haven't posted asleast 15 post I can't do the url thing. You should be able to copy and paste these to get to info. Let me know if you can't get them to work.

I still can't post them can you post your e-mail or a temporary one and i'll send the info you need.

When I opened mine it was apparent someone had been there before me. They had centre punched the control ring and bent it(it was easily straightened. But because the 4mm torx bolts had no anti seize on them one jammed solid and broke off. Because I had to make sure it was done right and I didn't want to snap a drill in the hole it took me a good while to drill it and re tap it.

I don't want to put you off doing the job because with the two guides above it's quite a doable job.

On the MAF front the US TDi sites say they only used the Merc ones because the VW ones were more expensive. But Bosch ones especially new ones are apparently fine. Earlier Bosch ones also had shorter life, hence the use of Merc ones.

My Seat has done 93k and inlet manifold had couple of millimetres of coating I didn't clean it out. The EGR valve was also bit mangy but not too bad. I've already blocked the EGR vac pipe so left that alone aswell.

Malcolm

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
cool will look at getting new MAF if its too much hassle. don't know if anyone knows the best place to buy a bosch one online.

If you have those links you can private message them to me and I would be very grateful....limp mode along with leaky doors is making the car a chore to drive and really can't wait to get it sorted!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise