Spluttering TDi

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Well I'm assuming it the glowplugs switching off, can't think what else it would be.
I suppose the length of time they stay on depends how cold it is.

Which leads me to another idea - if the glowplug duration is governed by temperature, there's gotta be a sensor somewhere. Maybe that's knackered and giving false readings ?

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
muddy,,,

I got a voltmeter [2000 sport tdi ;) ] and as soon as I start the engine, the volt go up to something like 15+,,, so the alternator has to start with the engine,,,

muddyboots said:
in that period before the alternator kicks in, the glow plugs could be struggling if the battery voltage was a bit low

shouldn't the glow plugs turn off once the engine has started??????

the relay click isn't the glow plugs imo cos IIRC I can hear it even in warm climate. It should be something to do with the cold-engine mode [i.e. different fueling and open egr etc,,,],,, my 2p.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
basstard said:
muddy,,,

I got a voltmeter [2000 sport tdi ;) ] and as soon as I start the engine, the volt go up to something like 15+,,, so the alternator has to start with the engine,,,

the relay click isn't the glow plugs imo cos IIRC I can hear it even in warm climate. It should be something to do with the cold-engine mode [i.e. different fueling and open egr etc,,,],,, my 2p.
Well on this car and my previous one, after startup the battery voltage only sprang up to 14-15v either after a minute or two idling, or if the engine was revved past a certain point.
Then it stays at 14-15v as long as the engine is running, even if it drops back to idle.

You might be right, it might not be glowplugs that switch off when you hear the "click". Would be interested to know what it was though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.