Leon Mk2 TDI Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)

finchyboy82

Hi,

Just back from the garage and £1k lighter after a DMF failure. So I thought I'd share my experience and symptoms with the forum.

Now the clutch and DMF have been replaced the leon is driving reallt smoothly, I think I've been living with a dodgy flywheel for a long time. I noticed the following things were wrong with the car, but I attributed to other causes rather than the flywheel such as:-

Low fapping belt noise coming from behind the center dash (behind the radio) - thought this was something to do with the AC.

Clutch judder when moving off in 1st on damp mornings - thought this was oil/water dripping on the clutch plate.

A little vibration when idylling - thought this was normal for a diesel engined car (once the DMF was changed the car doesn't vibrate at all).

Vibration coming in all gears when accelerating hard - thought this was because the engine was underpowered (1.9 tdi 105PS). This no longer happens with the new flywheel.

The car is only 5 months out of warranty and had I known that the above were symptomatic of a failing DMF id have been straight down the dealership demanding the DMF was changed.

So I hope this info helps other VAG diesel owners to get their DMFs replaced under warranty as there seems to be a big problem with them from what I have read.

Regards,

Paul

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
It’s a pity no goodwill gesture was offered by Seat / Dealership - I assume you had a FSH to support this??. It is still worth a letter to Seat UK as this failure is known to the VAG Marque!! Good luck

finchyboy82

Car had just crossed 62k miles.

I've a full service history, but unfortunately not with a main dealership. I'll maybe try a letter to SEAT UK and see what they say. Cheers.

Paul

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.