Top Gear should have the Leon on the Show!

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Eventually managed to watch Sunday Nights Top Gear and was disappointed that they never had a cupra there, perhaps they will if Seat brought out a 300hp version!

I know it probably would have been hammered by the Focus ST and renault thing but i think the FR or Cupra deserves a look in to the show sometime in a review of Hot Hatches, especially the practical type you can live with.

A basic 140 diesel Leon was on 5th gear a while back (its on youtube i think) and Tiff seamed to like it.

Im sure the top gear boys could have some fun with a few FR's and Cupra's!

Can the entire SCN petition them!?!?

Stuart

ps. hope this isnt too far off-topic - i am starting a model specific discussion about the Leon Mk2...

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
[Flame suit on]

If I wanted to watch a program about 'normal' cars I'd watch re runs of 4Car

It's not really going to be entertainment

[/Flame suit off]

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Jeremy Clarkson is 'notorious' for not liking SEAT so all he'd do is slate it anyway.

Now, they should have it on Fifth Gear then we'd actually get some kind of sensicle look.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
I would just like to see them go mad and enjoy themselves in a great car - hopefully they would end up loving the car!

I think they are missing out on a great chance to have some good fun and make us all envious of them having it!

Stuart

Watchin FC

Jun 18, 2007
Sunny Oldham
Clarkson has also said in Top Gear Magazine something along the lines of expecting to find that the Leon would be the same as driving a Golf but with hairy armpits and although he'd only had a brief drive, he was surprised to find that it was a different drive and this cheered him up immensely.

He did go on to slate Seat and all things Spanish on Top Gear later though.

No_LiMiT

Was thinking about this few days ago and was about to send them email :p
They should really have it on the show, even though they would say a lot of crap about it would still be nice to watch :)

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
They can't say the MK2 Leon Cupra is the same as a GTI now as the mk 5.5 err 6 is out, and we all know that it is totally different to the MKV chassis that the Leon sits on:whistle::D

I'd love to see a Leon do battle on TG in a hothatch shootout like the one they did on 5th Gear.:)

Digging back into my back catalogue of TG magazines, they did do a Hot Hatch mega test in mag number 163 when the Cupra Leon mk2 first came out, but it never got to the show:cry:

Do you REALLY want me to tell you what they/Stig said about it?:whistle:

It's sat here open at the page on my desk :rolleyes:

Fishy

May 16, 2005
A few years back they had a MK2 Leon in the studio along with its 'competition'. It was the show giving the Golf GTI a betting, putting it up again the older GTI. They didnt drive it and the standard comments above from Clarkson.

Fish

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
They can't say the MK2 Leon Cupra is the same as a GTI now as the mk 5.5 err 6 is out, and we all know that it is totally different to the MKV chassis that the Leon sits on:whistle::D

I'd love to see a Leon do battle on TG in a hothatch shootout like the one they did on 5th Gear.:)

Digging back into my back catalogue of TG magazines, they did do a Hot Hatch mega test in mag number 163 when the Cupra Leon mk2 first came out, but it never got to the show:cry:

Do you REALLY want me to tell you what they/Stig said about it?:whistle:

It's sat here open at the page on my desk :rolleyes:

I can only imagine.......:ban:

My sky+ lost signal when FG tested the clio 200 last week. Really wanted to see that. Guess it will be on you tube.

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Clio 200 is not very aesthetically pleasing, well the front end isn't. I used to have the Clio 172 and that was much better looking IMHO, also expect the Clio interior to come off whilst driving, that was one of the biggest grips of any Renault car I have owned.

Saying that it's a very good handling car and it quick for a normally aspirated engine.

Ivan

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
go on tell us anyway i know you really want us to know what stiggy said about the leon cupra.........roary roary tell us a story

Go on then.......

"The next car we turn to is the Costa Del Golf. Seat's all new Leon Cupra has yet to be driven in the UK and we are the privileged lot who get first dibs at the only car in the country. Regrettably the Stig finds identical fault with the ABS, and denounces it as nothing more than a rougher version of the Golf. "Inconsistent traction" and ABS that's "a million miles away from maximising tyre grip" means that the Leon posts a 1.33.5 and a 1.33.6."

The ED30 did a 1.32.6 on the TG test track.

Then again the ED30 got two comments from the stig too.

"Chronic understeer"
"Dreadful ABS"

In the all time list of available hothatches at the time, the new Honda Civic came first.....how crap that is!!!
2. Golf GTI
3. Focus ST
4. Edition 30
23. Seat Leon Cupra

Well you did ask!:whistle:

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
Go on then.......

"The next car we turn to is the Costa Del Golf. Seat's all new Leon Cupra has yet to be driven in the UK and we are the privileged lot who get first dibs at the only car in the country. Regrettably the Stig finds identical fault with the ABS, and denounces it as nothing more than a rougher version of the Golf. "Inconsistent traction" and ABS that's "a million miles away from maximising tyre grip" means that the Leon posts a 1.33.5 and a 1.33.6."

The ED30 did a 1.32.6 on the TG test track.

Then again the ED30 got two comments from the stig too.

"Chronic understeer"
"Dreadful ABS"

In the all time list of available hothatches at the time, the new Honda Civic came first.....how crap that is!!!
2. Golf GTI
3. Focus ST
4. Edition 30
23. Seat Leon Cupra

Well you did ask!:whistle:

LOL. Cheers for that Hurdy the only laugh i've had all night.
The Stigs not a million miles from the truth tho. :)

Watchin FC

Jun 18, 2007
Sunny Oldham
Some say that he doesn't know his arse from his elbow, and that he thinks Spain is a flavour of ice cream.

All we know is, he's called the Stig.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise