Auto folding mirror mod

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi, I am working on automatic folding mirror mod for Ibiza 6J, if you have electronic folding mirrors on your ibiza controlled manually by electronic mirror knob in driver side, you can applied this mod. This is my own solution. No need to disassemble L & R front door and connecting additional cables to central electronics. You need only small electronics module inserted into free place in mirror knob cover. It is connected directly to 3 cables from electronics mirror knob. It Is very simple to remove mirror knob from door without disassembling complete door cover.

Device is in testing stage. I will make video from action.

Device logic:
If you press lock on remote control, mirrros will be closed.
If you press open on remote control, mirrors will be opened.
If mirrors are closed and Ignition switch is actived mirrors will be opened automatically.

Original mirror switch is working normally. If on the mirror switch is selected position for close mirrors module for controlling will be disabled and mirrors will be closed.

Video here:

UPDATE 1

There will be 3 hw versions, each hw version in two revisions
- driver on the left
- driver on the right (UK model)

*HW1 - light version with simple logic, PLUG AND PLAY

-if mirror switch is in fold position
mirrors are folded then controller is disabled

-if mirror switch is in other position
if ignition on - mirrors are auto unfolded
if ignition off - mirrors are auto folded

if mirrors are unfolded
and then you open the door and next you switch ignition to off position mirrors keep unfolded

*HW2 - smart version, controlled by keyfob, for this version is needed one wire for 12V from door electronics, price 45 euro include postage

*HW3 - smart version with integrated lion coin battery auto charged, this version is PLUG AND PLAY, price 50 euro include postage

HW1 - price 37 euro include postage costs

1sz5h2.jpg

2yx0idx.jpg

11kbibk.jpg

--video

--installation manual

HW1 non UK version is IN STOCK!
HW1R - UK version is IN STOCK!

If you are insterrested its is possible pay via paypal or bank transfer

My paypal address:
[email protected]

Or you can buy it on eBay but there is a bit higher price because there are some fees.
non UK version here
UK version here

I will send it 1-3 days after payment.

Last edited:

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
What advantage does this have over what is available in Carista - currently in Beta but soon to be released - without any hardware change? Several of us on this forum have used the Carista Beta successfully and it works well.

Last edited:

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
What advantage does this have over what is available in Carista - currently in Beta but soon to be released - without any hardware change? Several of us on this forum have used the Carista Beta successfully and it works well.

I am trying to get access to the beta to test this, however I believe the Carista app cannot enable auto folding mirrors on the pre facelift Ibiza.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi, on the Ibiza 6J are foding mirrors controlled only manually by knob, it isnt possible control it by can bus commands. PQ25 BCM doesnt support it. Only new ibiza 6P with bcm pq26 support it. This mod is for Ibiza 6J (polo 6R and another cars with bcm pq25). My device isnt connected to OBD port or canbus. It is connected ONLY to mirrors knob.

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
You say connected to the mirrors switch KNOB. Surely it must be wired to the switch itself in some way, and the circuit board shown mounted behind the door card.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
You say connected to the mirrors switch KNOB. Surely it must be wired to the switch itself in some way, and the circuit board shown mounted behind the door card.

In the video circuit board (pcb) is connected to cable disconnected from mirror switch. This is only prototype, I am still working on final version, on the final pcb will be coupling connector. Only disconnecting original cable from knob , connecting cable to one side on the device and second side to knob. Pcb will be very small about 20x15mm and there is enought space in knob cover

$_3.JPG

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Has anyone done this before. or made a tutorial video?

Now come on, if the OP knew that someone had done this already, I'd doubt if he would waste his time re-inventing it would he?

I'd hope that if this is successful, that the OP would take in orders for it and sell completed units to us - I'm definitely not trying to just steal his ideas, if he has worked hard and got this going, he is entitled to some reward!

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Now come on, if the OP knew that someone had done this already, I'd doubt if he would waste his time re-inventing it would he?

I'd hope that if this is successful, that the OP would take in orders for it and sell completed units to us - I'm definitely not trying to just steal his ideas, if he has worked hard and got this going, he is entitled to some reward!

Hi, thanks, at the moment final version is designed and I am waiting for PCB from my manufacturer. As soon as I will have already tested final version, I can make group buy.
I will post info later.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
UPDATE
So some info about auto folding system.

There will be 3 hw versions, each hw version in two revisions
- driver on the left
- driver on the right (UK model)

*HW1 - light version with simple logic, PLUG AND PLAY, price 35 euro include postage costs
-if mirror switch is in fold position
mirrors are folded then controller is disabled
-if mirror switch is in other position
if ignition on - mirrors are auto unfolded
if ignition off - mirrors are auto folded

*HW2 - smart version, controlled by keyfob, for this version is needed one wire for 12V from door electronics, price 45 euro include postage

*HW3 - smart version with integrated lion coin battery auto charged, this version is PLUG AND PLAY, price 50 euro include postage

HW1 (non uk model on the picture)
6jlt0x.jpg

2quk6te.jpg

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I like the sound of the HW1 UK version as the car I intend to fit it to is my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza which she will hopefully buy back from me when she returns from working in KL in August.

I'm guessing that the HW2 version has lithium cell battery which will need replacing "now and again" depending on how the car is used, and the HW3 is the same but will not need battery change.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
I like the sound of the HW1 UK version as the car I intend to fit it to is my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza which she will hopefully buy back from me when she returns from working in KL in August.

I'm guessing that the HW2 version has lithium cell battery which will need replacing "now and again" depending on how the car is used, and the HW3 is the same but will not need battery change.

Hi, HW1 I have installed in car for testing now. Its working fine and for me this version is sufficient but I think keyfob controled version is interrested for someone

HW 2 & HW 3 is same pcb with small changes, there will be unpopulated some components on the version without battery. Version with battery is for someone whitch prefer plug and play solution because its easy to connect.

I make video with hw 1 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv-LdvHjYQ8

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Hi,

on the HW1 version is there a way to keep the mirrors always open?
I mean activate this functionality only when I want to.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi,

on the HW1 version is there a way to keep the mirrors always open?
I mean activate this functionality only when I want to.

Yes, but I havent tested UK version of the mirror switch yet so I will try with UK version when arrived.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
explorer, for your information, dm222 is LHD, ie mainland Europe - Portugal.

dm222, out of interest why do you want to be able to only use this function only now and again, I'd think that most people buying this "system" would be buying it to make the mirror folding automatic? I know that any time I want to fold the mirrors on my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, I have taken the ignition key out of the switch - and then think - "oh bother!", having the HW1 version fitted I would not need to do anything. Remember, as already described, if you have HW1 fitted, and the "mirror fold" switch in the "fold" position, nothing will happen when you put the key in the ignition - I think.

Edit:- as far as I know, across the VW Group range of cars, the "mirror" switch on the driver's door only has a maximum of 4 positions, "top" position is either "OFF" if no heaters in mirrors, or "heaters on" if mirrors have heaters, "Right mirror control", "Left mirror control" and, if mirrors have a folding functionality, "bottom" position which is "fold mirror" - so requesting this extra functionality should end up being difficult to achieve without adding another small switch to that switch panel?

Last edited: