Revotechnik

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum » Leon » Leon Mk2

Leon Mk2 For all topics relating to the Mk2 Leon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 20:22   #21
STU3Y

STU3Y has 10 points
Mine still leaks with the original fix but I cant figure which hole its coming through. Although the panel is sealed well I think the foam/rubber still lets water penetrate so the problem is still present just not as bad. Ive taken the sound proofing off for now and I have an engine cover to stop it going on the engine.
STU3Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 20:22   #22
locky

locky has 20 points
Just get a can of expanding foam, stick the nozzle in by the wipers and pull the trigger till its full.

Trim away any excess
Old 20-07-2014, 21:10   #23
porksword28

porksword28 has 30 points
That's probably not a bad shout! Who's going to be brave enough to give it the first go!
porksword28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 21:18   #24
banksy21

banksy21 has 10 points
what happens when the foam goes mouldy?..........more foam?
Old 20-07-2014, 21:27   #25
locky

locky has 20 points
I dont think my suggestion is a goer really having used expanding foam i wouldnt want that stuff anywhere near my car lol.

However i thought it was a fairly water resistant once set.
Old 20-07-2014, 23:45   #26
springer

springer has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by STU3Y View Post
If you paid them I would take it back
Under warranty till Aug 8th so free until then.It had the thicker seal put on and new clips.
Will do it myself and probably use some Wurth removable sealer(doesnt go fully off) we have at work.No point using sikaflex or similar as it will be a pain in the ass if you ever need to remove the trim.
Old 03-08-2014, 16:19   #27
nick-fr

nick-fr has 10 points
I recently discovered mine was leaking aswell so I just ran a small beading of clear silicone between the gap where the scuttle meets the bonnet, seems to be keeping the rain out so far after some heavy downpours.
nick-fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 16:58   #28
andypower

andypower has 10 points
I've just taken my scuttle off and I've silicone every hole I could find, then I put a bit more silicone in the hole then slapped a lot more in

I'll let you know if I get leaks
Old 30-10-2014, 17:16   #29
Asce

Asce has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypower View Post
I've just taken my scuttle off and I've silicone every hole I could find, then I put a bit more silicone in the hole then slapped a lot more in

I'll let you know if I get leaks
Let us know. Has anyone just put black silicon or sealant around the curve part of the panel and seen if that stops water from getting through?
Asce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 17:19   #30
andypower

andypower has 10 points
I'm going to be doing that in next few dats, I'm a bus driver, when a window needs sealing the engineer uses this hard wearing stuff to seal it. Its black but once its on it doesn't come off

Last edited by andypower; 30-10-2014 at 17:20.
andypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 18:06   #31
toosmiles

toosmiles has 10 points
my plugs were rusty as hell last year because of this leaking,ill keep an out for some updates
Old 30-10-2014, 18:13   #32
andypower

andypower has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosmiles View Post
my plugs were rusty as hell last year because of this leaking,ill keep an out for some updates
Its the reason I've just done it mate, yesterday I changed my coil packs and spark plugs because number 1 were rusted to death
Old 30-10-2014, 21:00   #33
Clazzer

Clazzer has 10 points
Gonna check my coil packs and plugs at the weekend. Wouldn't it be better to have a mouldy damp bonnet lining instead of water gathering in the coil packs? Going to have to look for a engine cover to butcher around my intake I think as I never thought about the potential for the plugs and stuff getting wet.
Old 30-10-2014, 22:15   #34
locky

locky has 20 points
Without a lining and the 2 holes partially behind the diagonal parts being plugged, water can come down inside the strut and come out in the same area as the filter.
The centre hole and unsealed clips is where it intrudes onto the engine.
Maybe just a freaky coincidence with the angle I was parked but definite drops of water on the foam a while back.

Since sealing mine using a 3m D-shape seal along the back of the strip and a solid ribbed rubber block along the bonnet recess to marry up - guess what....the water still collects!
But using the clips with seals, having the 3 holes plugged and lifting the bonnet just above the horizontal to let any water run away harmlessly down the windscreen means the engine seems to be staying relatively dry.

Last edited by locky; 30-10-2014 at 22:16.
locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 22:51   #35
kazand
Is powered by Medtronics

kazand has 100 pointskazand has 100 points
Found a better way to sort it...... Buy a Mk 3 !
kazand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 09:12   #36
andypower

andypower has 10 points
I'll keep that in mind locky, don't want the water all over my induction kit
Old 31-10-2014, 12:49   #37
toosmiles

toosmiles has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by locky View Post
Without a lining and the 2 holes partially behind the diagonal parts being plugged, water can come down inside the strut and come out in the same area as the filter.
Maybe just a freaky coincidence with the angle I was parked but definite drops of water on the foam a while back.

Since sealing mine using a 3m D-shape seal along the back of the strip and a solid ribbed rubber block along the bonnet recess to marry up - guess what....the water still collects!
But using the clips with seals, having the 3 holes plugged and lifting the bonnet just above the horizontal to let any water run away harmlessly down the windscreen means the engine seems to be staying relatively dry.
wheres the clips that need re-sealing m8?
can you take the screws out the back trim and stick some water tap washers on them and re tighten,im after a quick fix just for the coil pack area tbh
Old 31-10-2014, 13:58   #38
ZiggyEP3

ZiggyEP3 has 10 points
Is there no way of having small rubber hoses attached to the drain holes that are needed and have them routed into a low part of the engine bay so it gets rid of standing water and the water then doesn't touch the bonnet liner. Just thinking so i don't have a plan on how to do it.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11   #39
andypower

andypower has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by locky View Post

This is exactly what's happening to mine now, rained last night. I put a towel over the engine cover and revo intake just incase it happens and it did. The towel was soaking were the filter was.

So now I need to fund out were the waters coming from. I've plugged every bloody hole. So ill have to check the struts when its light.

Still don't see how the water can be getting in even from struts. and the binnent was bone dry underneath, I've left it with no sound deadening
Old 03-11-2014, 14:37   #40
locky

locky has 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosmiles View Post
wheres the clips that need re-sealing m8?
can you take the screws out the back trim and stick some water tap washers on them and re tighten,im after a quick fix just for the coil pack area tbh
Its these, there is a pic on the first post:

Without those, each hole will happily allow water to leak into the engine bay once the water comes up to the height of the turret they locate into. Obviously if you have the other drain holes blocked up properly, these are the only other holes it can be leaking through.

Additionally, I found I had to tease the expanding plastic clips out a bit with a little screwdriver to make the seal tighter. Just pushing from above and letting the plastic tabs naturally clip out and grip was not enough to assure it was water tight.

The only problem is that to 2 clips you really need to make sure are fully pulling the strip tight are hidden under the struts, and these are the 2 which (if not water tight) will allow water to travel down to the filter area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypower View Post
This is exactly what's happening to mine now, rained last night. I put a towel over the engine cover and revo intake just incase it happens and it did. The towel was soaking were the filter was.

So now I need to fund out were the waters coming from. I've plugged every bloody hole. So ill have to check the struts when its light.

Still don't see how the water can be getting in even from struts. and the binnent was bone dry underneath, I've left it with no sound deadening
As above, the 2 which allow the water to travel down the strut are the 2 which are hidden behind it. Apart from pushing down firmly from above, there is no way to gently pull out the plastic clips to assure its super water tight.

Last edited by locky; 03-11-2014 at 14:39.
locky is offline   Reply With Quote