Veggie oil?

mini670

Hi,

im a noob to this forum, and this is my first post.

I have recently obtained a 98 Ibiza 1.9 tdi, with the intention of running on veg. Hopefully going to opt for a two tank set up, as ive heard tdi engines are not too keen on veggy in the cold. Previously i have used a pug 106 on a 50:50 mix in the summer months without any problem. I was pushing it a little with a 50:50 mix and Lucas pump but it has survived many thousand miles.

I have not checked the pump on the ibiza yet, im hoping it will/should be a Bosch.

Ive read on this thread, not to use veggy in a `PD`, sorry to maybe ask a daft question, but what is a PD?
thanks

lewism3

PD stands for Pumpe-Düse, basically an uprated version of the original tdi engine (nozzels and pump I think).

You have the same engine as myself a 90bhp NON PD engine. It appears these engines coped ok with veggie, but haven't tried it yet. And yes, there should be a Bosch pump.

Must admit though.....I was going to run the tank near dry and just fill her up with Tesco bought value PURA veggie oil. Hope the pump will stand it!!!

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
PD stands for Pumpe-Düse, basically an uprated version of the original tdi engine (nozzels and pump I think).

You have the same engine as myself a 90bhp NON PD engine. It appears these engines coped ok with veggie, but haven't tried it yet. And yes, there should be a Bosch pump.

Must admit though.....I was going to run the tank near dry and just fill her up with Tesco bought value PURA veggie oil. Hope the pump will stand it!!!

If it was me, i'd boil it up for a while first to make sure any water is evaporated off.

lewism3

So do you reckon it's a bad idea pouring it in neat?

Have heard of other people doing that, but wasn't sure if it's a good idea?:confused:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
So do you reckon it's a bad idea pouring it in neat?

Have heard of other people doing that, but wasn't sure if it's a good idea?:confused:
Doubt it would hurt, but if its cheap oil (if it wan't you wouldn't bother right?) then there is always a risk of water, and i would rather spend 20mins boiling it off than risking water in my engine. For the money your saving its worth taking a bit of time to help things run smothly and make sure the savings are in your pockets, not a mechanics ;)

lewism3

I can see any savings in my pocket being spent at the local chippy!!!

Sudden urges for cheesy chips and a battered sauage.....:p:p:p:p:p

sssstew

Editing your spelling
it will be fine in your car, ive been running it in mine for about a year now. the cheapest place is costco for a 20l drum but you need to be a member. otherwise its aldi or lidl.

i do just less than a 50/50 mix for my car, and a higher dose for our old golf non direct injection, works a treat.

getting it in was messy to start but bought a funnel whch i tie up to the boost strut to hold it up now. any questions drop me a mail or on messenger :)

lewism3

So far I've found Tesco with Pura 56p a litre, then Sainsburys at about 69p a litre. Finding arounf the 74p is the norm.

Read the little sign say "maximum purchase 10". Looks like I will be in and out quite frequently. :D

mini670

thanks for that info,

i will give it a go, edge my way up from a 25% start.
Although if i ever get round to it ill twin tank it, for a cold start on 100% dino then when everything is nicely warmed through (including the fat) ill have a solenoid valve to switch over onto 90-100% fat.

lewism3 - thanks for the info, i was unsure what engine my Seat had tbh, the handbook stated 4 diesel motors i think ( a non turbo, 44kw, 66 kw and 80kw). I searched high and low around on google for my engine numbers and turned next to SFA up. Any help on engine numbers would be really really helpful if you have anything. Ive looked at the link someone posted on here that was in russian, and gave service manuals for VW engines, just cant find the exact one for my motor.

heres a site i have used from time to time to gain info on veggy:
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

and theres a vehicle index showing how certain engines have coped with veggy here:
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/index.php

I was a little worried at first getting a tdi engined car, for chip fat running. Id got my heart set on a 306 TD, but coming across one that was bosch pumped, mk2, un-hammered and low mileage, and decent price seemed almost impossible.

lewism3

Well thought I would keep everyone updated.

Well, 100% veggie oil in a 90bhp TDI and everythig seems fine (touch wood) at the moment. Its a little hestitant to accelerate in the colder mornings and of course, takes a few more cranks to get her going, but otherwise fine.

Using 100% does produce a real chip fat smell. Mines very strong. So strong that I purposely turn off the engine if I'm stopped for any length of time. Oh and its best to keep the windows closed as well.

Certainly get some strange looks when going into Tesco to full up my trolley with bottle and bottles of the stuff. Few wise cracks as well, but I just laugh at them, little do they know!!!

So for all you non PDers I would initially recommend giving it a go. Think on the frosty mornings I will bite my lip and venture over to the petrol station for 5 litres of diesel. May just thin out the veggie oil a bit.

Martin

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
WOW your crazy!! Ill give you that.

I'm defo not brave enough to go 100% maybe 20 - 30% at a max!!

Keep an eye on your fuel filter and oil!!

On another thread there is a descusion on oil thickness would it better to use a thicker oil when running chip fat?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I personally would run about 60% veg oil to 40% diesel in these colder months, and then maybe go as high as 80% veg oil through the summer. Definatly wouldn't run 100% if it was me, but fair play to you.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Veggie oil and especially biodiesel will clean fuel lines of gunk so it is advisable to change fuel fliter after first 2k or so as there will more than likely be a bit of crud in there. might be some water too.
Could explain your hesitation if filter is clogged?

Last edited:

lewism3

Well the mornings have become colder, although not quite freezing conditions yet, and unfortunately the Beeza is left outside on the driveway and not tucked up in a warm garage!

It took an absolute age to full her up the other day. Managed to purchase 4 x 20ltr bottles from Sainburys at 69p per ltr and the rest was Pura at 56p per ltr. Think I put 36 bottles of the stuff in the tank. Had to hide from the neighbours or else they would be thinking I'd gone crazy.

So there we go, full tank of 100% veggie oil......

It ran fine fine that day, and no hestitation upon starting, although it was mid afternoon and warmish weather. I had to leave early this morning about 6.30am. The first thing I thought when venturing outside was in the cold was......bet it won't start!!!

It did!! I let the glow plug light go out and cranked her over twice, nope not that time. Then did it again and she begrudgingly fired into action (with a cough and splutter). Unfortunately this is when I had a little problem!!

Went to drive away......and nothing. Foot to the floor didn't make a blind bit of difference, still idling away blissfully unaware that I was doing anything. After letting the car idle for about 5mins the revs finally picked up (with reluctance) and we were off, albeit not that quickly.

Going down the A41 with my foot to the floor doing 40mph was, lets say, a tad embarassing. However, about 10 miles down the road and every thing was fine once we had warmed up. So yes, 100% is too thick, and I'm worried about labouring my diesel pump so when I got home after a 140 mile trip I squeezed 10ltrs of ultra expensive diesel in the tank. It actually seems to go better, although thats probably in my mind.

I will judge the mix of diesel to veggie oil in the future. I'm not bothered about performance too much, but I'd like the car to start in the mornings. Currently I estimate a 80:20 mix is in the tank, so i will let you guys know how we get on.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
c'mon mate 100% with the temps you get up there in the uk is deffo too much,,,

either you start with a 50/50 veg/diesel mix and then see how far you can go by gradually incrementing the veg quantity or you put in some anti-gel [or whatever you call that thing that prevets diesel from freezing during winter] and thin it down a lil,,,

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
c'mon mate 100% with the temps you get up there in the uk is deffo too much,,,

either you start with a 50/50 veg/diesel mix and then see how far you can go by gradually incrementing the veg quantity or you put in some anti-gel [or whatever you call that thing that prevets diesel from freezing during winter] and thin it down a lil,,,
HI Carlo, :) 50/50 sounds OK, the load on the suction side of his pump doesn't bear thinking about, and this weather---"it's not fot fer a ruck a thorns to be owt" :ban::D

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Hi there Nic! How's things?

so you say the VE's are strong?

and about the dialect, that's not fair,,, perhaps I could start writing in roman dialect and see who gets it? :p

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.