For sale £9,500ono Leon Cupra K1, Shark Performance Mapped 350bhp 496Nm

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
I got the bits I needed ordered from Dave at Sere today so they should be with me soon. I also started on removing the gearbox tonight when I got in from work. Managed to get the drive shafts removed along with the induction kit and ball joints. For some reason when I removed the battery the alarm started to go off? I don't know why?? Any ideas?

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Hhhhhm strange one that maybe it's an anti theft feature,the alarm unit must have a small source of power to use when the battery is removed as it thinks it's being stolen

guari

Nov 17, 2014
What an amazing build, just read the thing top to bottom and I'm really impressed!

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hhhhhm strange one that maybe it's an anti theft feature,the alarm unit must have a small source of power to use when the battery is removed as it thinks it's being stolen

Yeah I was thinking the same. I thought about touching the positive and negative to totally drain the system but didn't get round to it. It's a trick VW use instead of waiting 20mins to reset dash fault lights when someone has the computer. A friend told me.

What an amazing build, just read the thing top to bottom and I'm really impressed!

Thanks very much, it wouldn't have been that drastic if it hadn't have gone bang. Our lass wouldn't have let me lol.

im just guessing here but if the car was locked perhaps thats what made the alarm go off with the removal of the battery.

I did think that but I also locked the car with just the key thinking it wouldn't set the alarm. But it still went off. The thing is it didn't do it when I first took the battery off when I started the build? That's what throwing me? I'm thinking it may have been switched off using Vagcom and its reset?

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
Little update.

I couldn't find out why when I disconected the battery the alarm would go off when the car was locked even when disarming the alarm by pressing the button twice?

Had a little package turn up from Dave @Sere it was 4new screws for the PCV valve, new gasket, crankshaft oil seal and flywheels bolt. So it was time to get the gearbox out again:cry:
I fitted the new gasket to the PCV delete mod and catch can flange then fitted it back together with the new shiny screws. Little OCD I know but it looks better and what's a few pence after everything else???? Ha ha

When we got the gearbox out I saw the problem straight away! My own stupid fault not concentrating on what I was doing. To be fair I did fit it when the engine was on the stand and had to jiggle the support bars that held the engine on the stand. I had to move them as it was the flywheel side that was bolted to the stand and was hard to get too. With excuses out of the way I refitted the new seal and got it seated right this time.

This is where it is bolted too behind the flywheel. One of the worst seals to do, I'd say. The gearbox was a PITA to get out and don't want to do that in a rush again.

Fitted.

There's only 6 bolts on the face and 2 that bolt through the sump, all set to 15nm.
On another lucky note the clutch is fine and there's no engine oil contamination on it at all,which was a big relief to me:D

I'm hoping to Beth the flywheel bolted back up tomorrow and maybe the box back in as I'm pushing for the bloody MOT to be done on Christmas eve, so it will be some sort of Christmas present to me. :p

I also fitted LED rear number plate lights as I had a bulb out so thought I'd give them a go. Hopefully they will not bring the dash light on for a dud bulb. Ebay ad said they wouldn't so here's hoping. I can't check them yet as I don't have the head lights in so the bulb light is on anyway.

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
Got home tonight and got straight on with the car. I managed to get the gearbox back in, along with the clutch,flywheel new flywheel bolts. Got the drive shafts back on and the clutch bled up. Just need to put the cv boot heat shield,ball joints and then it's battery and tray, induction kit, head lights, front bumper, wheel arch liners, under tray. So not too much to do now and cars ready for MOT Wednesday morning, only problem I've got is I'm sacking off a free bar all day tomorrow to get it finished but it should be worth it.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
On Tuesday night (Christmas eve,eve) got the car already for MOT and driving. This was done by about 3 o'clock. I drove the car off the drive without the front bumper on as I didn't want it to catch, I drove it up the street,reversed the car back on the drive it made a unusual noise that I didn't like so switched it off fearing the worst. I went to fire it up again and it only turned over but wouldn't fire up!! By this point I'm thinking of crap.

After about 2 1/2 hours of checking for spark them compression and also checking fault codes. We also noticed there was no fuel getting to the bores but the pump was running? We came up with a code P0688. Did a bit of digging and it turned out to be a relay, the fuel pump relay. So it had given up on me 14 hours before the MOT! I was a little annoyed at this point. I stripped the relay down and got some wires and gave it some power directly from the battery to see it it had totally stopped working. It had. But one of my mates had a spare one from breaking a couple of VW's. So it was running for the 8:30am test.

The car hadn't been run for nearly 5 months now so I wasn't expecting for it to run perfect as they have a self learning ecu. It has to work out where the revs should drop too when you press the clutch and so on. So on the way to the test station it wasn't running perfect but was running. Every time I pressed the clutch coming upto a round about it would drop the revs and die. Thing this might have to learn as a mate had the same problem with a Corsa when he changed the engine. He said it took about 30 miles for his to reset.

The MOT went really we with no adviseories at all and passed the emotions test just with in time limit. Job done I was a happy man.

So all was good and I also managed to get a mate to come and re-gas the aircon on Christmas eve. So had that done too.

The car is still dropping the revs and stalling when coming up to junction so I think I have a couple of vac line the wrong way on the dump valve. As I've heard that thins can happen so I will have a look at them tomorrow and may fit my new centre armrest and new wind deflectors I've had since August. Car needs a really good wash to as it hasn't been washed in 5 months so it looks grey. So I'm hoping I aren't going to cover the street in ice tomorrow with it been so cold when I'm going to wash it.............

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Man you have had your patience tested proper cudos for getting her through mate well done. As you've said I'm sure it will take a little while for the ECU to adapt and learn. But overall happy days :)

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
Man you have had your patience tested proper cudos for getting her through mate well done. As you've said I'm sure it will take a little while for the ECU to adapt and learn. But overall happy days :)

Cheers mate, I orederd an new Relay from Dave At Sere so hopefully it will be with me Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll have a tinker with it tomorrow to see if there is anything a miss with the vac lines.

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
I had a little time to myself New Years eve morning so thought I'd use my mates ramp while he was quiet. The exhaust had started rattling and I had a look and could see the bracket moving on tick over. Got the car on the ramp and spotted the problem straight away, the bracket had split slightly on one of the fixings.

So I got out the grinder, cut the bolts off and fitted new bolts,nuts and washer and spring washers so they wouldn't shake lose.

I also dropped the oil out after the first 50 miles, thought if there was anything in the engine it will have picked it up and flushed it out.

This is the filter after 45-50mile not too bad really considering the oil darkens the filter paper, the filter was replaced with a genuine new one and new filter housing seal.

My mate stuck his computer on the car and checked for faults, there was a couple but they was from before, we cleared them and the car is running perfect.:funk:

Tomorrow is going to be the real test for the car as I'm heading up to the Lake District with it to get some miles on it. Should be fun as it's been a long time since it's done that many miles.:clap:

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
The roads are great up there, I've been going up there for at least half my life and I'm 30 now! Love the place for camping and walking and just walking round the beautiful places.:D

That's cool yeah it's a stunning part of the country mate. Need to get up there on my mtb and burn off some of the Christmas calories lol.Not done anything for a couple months so will be scary next time doing jumps/downhill stuff.

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
Well the day started off nice and early, I fitted the new armrest and ECU/HPFP relay.

Me and the wife to be made a move towards the Lake District at about half 9-10ish. Stopped for breakfast on the way up (a late breakfast) we had a nice steady drive up to Windermere as the lady wanted to go to Lakeland? Then we drove onto Hawkshead via the ferry, there was a black Ibiza Cupra infront of us on the ferry.

Then drove from Hawkshead through Ambleside towards Keswick, one of my favourite places. It was the first placed I camped as a kid, so has good memorise for me. Couple of little pictures from Keswick.

We had a late dinner/early tea (lunch/dinner depends where your from?) then set of back at about 4:35pm. Car had driven perfect all day with no problems at all, I've only been giving it less than half throttle so not too much boost. Only giving it to about 4 1/2k revs. We got about 15mins out of Keswick if not 10mins as we passed a tractor. Then there was a funny noise from the engine, as in a flutter? So as soon as I heard that I pulled in, thinking there's a air leak! As I pulled in and dipped the clutch it died,so I knew it was a air leak. I thought it may have been a Vac line from the dump valve, I checked and they was all there, and saw that the boost tap/ manifold plug that sits in the inlet manifold wasn't right. The grub screw that fits into the end of the boost tap had vibrated lose and come out!:cry: when I fitted it I tightened it up to make sure it wouldn't come out, but never lock tight the bloody thing.

We was in a place with no phone signal and was 4 miles from Keswick, oh and it was dark, really dark! Luckily when I pack the car to go anywhere especially the lakes or highlands I always pack for the worst. I packed mine and our lass' Rab jackets, walking boots and a little bit of chocolate,crisps and a drink each. I'm diabetic so have to just incase. So the only option was to start walking back towards Keswick for a phone signal at least. This is where I left the car.

I pulled the plug from the inlet manifold just incase I could get a bolt to plug it. After 2 miles of walking(not far really) I saw a farm and a couple of people in the yard. I walked over into the yard slowly as I know from work that there can be big guard dogs there, and shouted hello. A women came over, I told her my situation and she went and got her husband. I told him the same and all I need was a bolt to plug where the grub screw was. He went in his shed and came back out with a perfect solution. This!!!!!

It worked a treat.:1st: I owe that guy a lot and will drop a case of beer into him and his wife the next time I pass. I know I few farmers from the Dales after working in a pud up there so I know they always have a shed full of bolts,nuts and anything else you need.

After that is cost us an hour in total delay, but we got home safe. So this morning I was up early again to find a company that did a boost tap with the grub screw to plug the end. I found that awesomdGTI did the ARP ones and had the in stock so had a drive over there from Leeds to get one this morning.

The little silver thing in the middle is the grub screw that vibrated out of the CTS plug. So I will be using loctite on this one!

Last edited:

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Wow that was a bit of luck mate regards the farmer, although it was a set back at least it wasn't something major again. Bet you thought here we go again, that's the only downside of remote places like that when things go wrong and no kind of communication.Had a chain snap on me in the middle of nowhere but didn't have a spare or proper tools for the job lol used a rock and a rusty nail to smash out the pins and put a quick link in. If I had a signal I'd have just rang for help.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members