My MK1 Leon Cupra R

F4Phantom

Sep 14, 2023
Northamptonshire
Hi everyone!

First time post and thread about one of my cars, long time lurker on the forum.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and welcome to the thread for my MK1 LCR. October last year, my wife announced to me that she was pregnant, and at the time I had an F31 335d Touring. A lovely car in its own right, it had done me really well whilst I was in the forces, going to and from Faslane, to Northampton and back every weekend, and would have been perfect for the arrival of little one this Summer.

Fast forward to February, and I couldn't financially keep the 335 anymore, it was costing me too much in insurance, road tax, finance and the rest of it. Plus we needed to free up some funds for little one, so unfortunately the 335 had to go.

I have a work van, that I am allowed to use for personal use, so I have been bombing about in that since February, but I couldn't stay away from having a toy for much longer, so started on the lookout for something else.

I was adamant that I was going to get a MK5 ED30, but I couldn't find a nice one that was in budget, they seem to have all fallen into the realms of being thrashed, and the horror stories of timing chains, PCVs and Cambelts really started to put me off.

My friend Jack suggested, why don't you get a MK1 LCR, comfy enough, being a MK4 Golf underneath, good for little one when I want to take it out, and with ISOFIX rear seats installing the child seat should be a breeze. Plus, the 225 BAM, I think is a lovely engine, so I could have a bit of fun with it when on my own.

So the hunt was on. I found an absolutely lovely example on eBay, was up for £5995, full service history, even going back as far as the original order form from SEAT when it was new in 2005. I've got a record of every service, part and work that has been done on the car. It's done 102k, but you really wouldn't know it. Not even a stone chip on the exterior, zero bolster wear on the interior either, I don't think the rear seats have ever even been sat in.

I am absolutely made up with it, it's completely bone stock, which is what I wanted, pulls really well and I can tell it's been loved its entire life, also it being a 1 owner car from new was a bonus.

It only wants a few little bits doing, it has got the dreaded water ingress issue, that's relatively an easy fix, so I will tackle that when I get time, hopefully this weekend. One of the brake calipers needs painting (I think it's had a different one put on at some point in it's life). The OEM exhaust is looking a little worse for wear, as they all seem to, but it isn't blowing yet and it wants a service, with the Oil Pickup to be looked at.

Apart from that it really is a minter, and it's taken me right back to being 19 again with my EP3.

Anyway, pictures!

MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

Plans are, to maintain it, keep it as OEM as possible, prices on standard ones are rising, although I can't see me selling it any time soon. I plan to just maintain, and enjoy it.

Booked in for a service and Oil Pickup clean next week and a health check.

If you made it this far thanks for reading, and i'll update as and when things happen!

Tom

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Welcome to the forum.
Nice motor that.
I like to keep mine stock too.
The simplicity of these older cars is more appealing every day.
Keep reading the issues on here and other forums with brand new motors so I’m more than happy with my old fleet.
Good luck with everything on yours, hope it gives you years of happy motoring.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I love to modify my own cars but I also love a classic car in original condition. Have to say this is a great looking motor.

Following on from @Nathan penney comment I saw today a few post's on things that we miss from older cars.

Personally for me no 1 is sensors failing and causing issues across the car (today my ABS Speed sensor went and my dashboard turned into a fruit machine)

but on to the stuff people miss in no order of preference

Proper handbrake
Air con that's four fan speeds, a slider for recirc and a big button that says A/C
Thin Pillars or just all round good vision
Actual Switches to control stuff
Proper Guages and instruments
Manual Door Locks / Ignition with a Key - Dont have Kessy and dont want it and have to agree love a key in the ignition.
Turbo Lag - yes it was the unpredictability of it all that made it exciting.
A spare wheel

and so and and so forth

anyway back to your car, its lovely and keep it in original condition,

It will be great to drive.

Reactions: Nathan penney

F4Phantom

Sep 14, 2023
Northamptonshire
Welcome to the forum.
Nice motor that.
I like to keep mine stock too.
The simplicity of these older cars is more appealing every day.
Keep reading the issues on here and other forums with brand new motors so I’m more than happy with my old fleet.
Good luck with everything on yours, hope it gives you years of happy motoring.
Thankyou mate, I do really want to keep it completely stock, there is not even a stone chip on it. It's very nice being back in something older again :)

I love to modify my own cars but I also love a classic car in original condition. Have to say this is a great looking motor.

Following on from @Nathan penney comment I saw today a few post's on things that we miss from older cars.

Personally for me no 1 is sensors failing and causing issues across the car (today my ABS Speed sensor went and my dashboard turned into a fruit machine)

but on to the stuff people miss in no order of preference

Proper handbrake
Air con that's four fan speeds, a slider for recirc and a big button that says A/C
Thin Pillars or just all round good vision
Actual Switches to control stuff
Proper Guages and instruments
Manual Door Locks / Ignition with a Key - Dont have Kessy and dont want it and have to agree love a key in the ignition.
Turbo Lag - yes it was the unpredictability of it all that made it exciting.
A spare wheel

and so and and so forth

anyway back to your car, its lovely and keep it in original condition,

It will be great to drive.

Thankyou for the reply! Yeah older stuff is definitely better!

--------------------------------

I've noticed a few niggles with the car, the gearbox can be a little whiney, but looking on the forums it seems to be a pretty common thing with them, it drives perfect however so I'm not too bothered!

Anyway, I cleaned the interior at the weekend, the car honestly seems perfect condition wise!

Pics:

MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg

The car is literally brand new, I cannot believe how good a condition it's in for 102,000 miles. She goes in tonight to have her Oil, Filter, Oil pickup, Coolant temp sensor and Thermostat done so looking forward to getting her home!

Reactions: tracktoy

F4Phantom

Sep 14, 2023
Northamptonshire
Dropped off last night and I'll hopefully see it in a week or so, it's a friend's garage and I've said do it when you can, there's no rush as I'm working away all week.

IMG20230918185240~2.jpg

IMG20230918185230.jpg

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Lovely car mate.. similar to mine but 70k on clock with one previous, drives like yours. Since having it I dropped it 20mm and got a stage 1 map to wake it up. Got the wheels refurbished also. Interior is proper mint too . Like you said I don't anyone sat in the back seat 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109-085706.png
    Screenshot_20231109-085706.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.